PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oldham FA Cup Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Oldham FA Cup Match Thread  (Read 13993 times)

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Oldham FA Cup Match Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2023, 12:24:11 PM »

Oldham defensively were good and we couldn't quite get through them, they set up not to concede and it worked on that occasion. So you could say a traditional away cup game set up and they're through to the next round. Not great to watch but it got the job done for them. Our forwards not quite at their best yesterday as others have mentioned.

A floater near me was moaning about lack of subs but we just don't have a strong enough bench at the moment yet to make a difference unfortunately. Linney starting up top and then a fresh winger to come on in the second half would have been ideal but squad not big enough for an impact sub at the mo.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2023, 12:58:05 PM »

We definitely didn't work their keeper enough.
He looked very nervous and made a complete mess of two very average shots in the first half, the second should have been put in on the rebound by Angus.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2023, 02:14:35 PM »

i'm not very happy with this "losing to a club as big as" attitude. they are in the same division and sitting in a lower position. number of fans, size of ground, available money to spend, or club history is not how matches get won. no disgrace losing to a club in a similar competitive state would be a better outlook.

(Looking at some of yesterday's results I think we'd be even more cheesed off if they'd gone against us).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 02:21:45 PM by Hale Alty »

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2023, 04:01:19 PM »

i'm not very happy with this "losing to a club as big as" attitude.

Yes, my flabber was well and truly gasted when I saw/heard that. How can we expect the team to feel the pride generated by the club’s history, the importance of the FA Cup and play with fire in their bellies (all of which were sadly lacking yesterday) when the management capitulates like that?

If that’s how you justify a gutless performance and your own inability to design a plan to break down an 11 man defence then let’s hope the league is soon populated by small clubs whose size will determine the results in our favour.

BTW, if we didn’t spend so long passing the ball around at the back before attempting to find an ever-elusive incisive through-ball, maybe the opposition would be denied the eons to get 11 behind the ball.

finnquark1

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2023, 05:29:04 PM »

I sort of understand tempering expectations when we're on a good run, which inevitably can't go on forever. But I did find the overegging of the Oldham side this week a bit absurd. They may well have once been seconds away from a cup final, but they're currently what they appeared to be yesterday - a mediocre Conference side waiting for the new manager to sort them out. Still thought we did enough to win, had we taken a chance or two.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2023, 05:43:46 PM »

I'm one that's happier to give Oldham credit where it's due - they' defended excellently and their goal came during a period of pressure from them. We all expected us to have more of the ball, and we only have ourselves to blame that the play was too lateral and not incisive enough.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2023, 06:28:10 PM »

I was hoping we had seen the last of the over cautious passing back formula that was to the forefront last season but sadly it returned with a vengeance yesterday.. we are never as good when we take an age to get the ball forward. One day the penny will drop. We have played some cracking games this season  by not playing the way we did yesterday
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 09:03:04 PM by distancetraveller »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2023, 07:13:49 PM »

Oldham defensively were good and we couldn't quite get through them, they set up not to concede and it worked on that occasion. So you could say a traditional away cup game set up and they're through to the next round. Not great to watch but it got the job done for them. Our forwards not quite at their best yesterday as others have mentioned.

A floater near me was moaning about lack of subs but we just don't have a strong enough bench at the moment yet to make a difference unfortunately. Linney starting up top and then a fresh winger to come on in the second half would have been ideal but squad not big enough for an impact sub at the mo.

This hits the nail on the head.

Our current squad is threadbare and the bench yesterday didn't include even a single player who could realistically offer an attacking threat.

I thought that the defence performed well, but our front four attacking players all rather failed to shine. Newby and Amaluzor were largely peripheral figures, Angus fluffed his big chance (although credit goes to Hogan for his defensive block) and CCC endured a nightmare.

Unexpectedly, we found ourselves having a chat with the Oldham owner Frank Rothwell in the CSH after the game. Nice chap.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

AltyNotFaulty

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2023, 08:37:46 AM »

There’s a lot of talk about moving the ball forward quicker but when a team has set up like Oldham did with 10 men behind the ball, almost every pass isn’t on. The lateral game then becomes inevitable as you need to draw the opposition in to find the space behind their forward/midfield lines or end up playing it long to stick in a 50/50. Oldham setup not to lose and worked hard off the ball, which to be fair to them they did it well. A lucky goal from some poor defensive work from I think Dior/Osbourne allowed the ball to drop in the 6 yard area and a toe poke home. We didn’t deserve to lose but that’s cup footy for you.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2023, 10:07:46 AM »

Wholly agree with the last post , their set up presented us with a riddle we are not really accustomed to and they did their job very well.  Totally gutted to go out so early yet again , it's now 28 years since our last 3rd round and the income from a long run and possible plum away tie would have given our future ambitions a massive boost.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2023, 06:19:40 PM »

pretty sure phil parkinson works on the basis that it works when it works and when it doesn't he'll live with it. that's all well and good over a league campaign, but when it come to knock-out games you've got to mix it up a bit.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2023, 02:52:34 PM »

Alex Reid looked as poor on the highlights as he did during the game
Full time and proud of it
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oldham FA Cup Match Thread