News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 "Is Vic There?"

Author Topic: "Is Vic There?"  (Read 3692 times)

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
"Is Vic There?"
« on: September 28, 2023, 11:49:35 PM »

Not that anyone here really gives a toss these days about our former arch enemy but Northwich Vics are on the move again.  I am reliably informed that they are moving in with neighbours Winsford United at Barton Stadium (used to be better known as a greyhound racing track back in the day).  They have signed a deal to stay there for 3 years with an option for a further year if they need it... 

Just for the sake of a bit of extra clarity, this is the Northwich Vics who were formed in 1874 as founder members of the Football League Division 2 and once knocked Liverpool out of the FA Cup and not the imposters calling themselves 1874 Northwich who play in the same colours and also have'nt got a home to call their own. They were at Barnton last I heard.

Add to that that Witton Albion who at least managed to hang onto ownership of a ground (of sorts) that is in the middle of nowhere with no public transport connecting it to the town or railway station. Finally, I think there was even another team called something like Northich Villa (perhaps a nod there to the Roman past of Northwich) who were short lived and played their home games at the Etihad campus in Manchester.

I remember Northwich Vics as very worthy adversaries and it is sad that the combined attendances of the three clubs is barely enough to shake a stick at these days.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: "Is Vic There?"
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 12:29:34 AM »

Think Northwich Villa were formed by Jim Rushe when Woodley FC changed their name...they played at Valley Road, Flixton

1874 were set up in protest to Rushe and the shenanigans going on. A friend of mine at work (Ian Street) was their first Manager
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 08:16:49 AM »

Correct. Very few give a toss as you put it apart from probably wishing the same sort of luck for the latest incarnation of M*cc I suspect.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 01:05:39 PM »

Think Northwich Villa were formed by Jim Rushe when Woodley FC changed their name...they played at Valley Road, Flixton

1874 were set up in protest to Rushe and the shenanigans going on. A friend of mine at work (Ian Street) was their first Manager

Northwich Villa, under various names,  played all over the place. As you say they were founded by Jim Rushe as Woodley as a breakaway from Woodley Sports in 2006. I think they played at Manor Farm in Timperley iduring that time. When Rushe took over Northwich Victoria, they became Northwich Viilla and groundshared with them in Northwich, progressing into the North West Counties League, even though that league didn't  accept reserve teams which is what they effectively were.

When Vics moved to Flixton, they followed suit, becoming Northwich Flixton Villa (somebody I know once went there, and saw them putting the limited amount of gate money in a brown paper envelope marked for Jim Rushe!). They parted company in 2015 when they moved to the Manchester Regional Arena, next door to the Eithad and became Northwich Manchester VIlla. I actually saw a game there that season when our match was off, and they were expecting to be taken over and become Manchester Diamonds, but they folded  at the end of that season, and I doubt they are really missed by anybody.

The excellent Football Club History Database website reminded me of some of the dates when writing this.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 04:42:54 PM »

I really miss the days of playing Northwich Vics, especially the banter against Dave (Slob) Ryan. We had some humdinger games with Vics over the years, and they did'nt always go our way.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 05:22:20 PM »

Don Weston's hat trick in that famous demolition being my particular favourite 😄😎
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 05:28:20 PM »

Not that anyone here really gives a toss these days about our former arch enemy but Northwich Vics are on the move again.  I am reliably informed that they are moving in with neighbours Winsford United at Barton Stadium (used to be better known as a greyhound racing track back in the day).  They have signed a deal to stay there for 3 years with an option for a further year if they need it... 

Just for the sake of a bit of extra clarity, this is the Northwich Vics who were formed in 1874 as founder members of the Football League Division 2 and once knocked Liverpool out of the FA Cup and not the imposters calling themselves 1874 Northwich who play in the same colours and also have'nt got a home to call their own. They were at Barnton last I heard.

Add to that that Witton Albion who at least managed to hang onto ownership of a ground (of sorts) that is in the middle of nowhere with no public transport connecting it to the town or railway station. Finally, I think there was even another team called something like Northich Villa (perhaps a nod there to the Roman past of Northwich) who were short lived and played their home games at the Etihad campus in Manchester.

I remember Northwich Vics as very worthy adversaries and it is sad that the combined attendances of the three clubs is barely enough to shake a stick at these days.

Think it’s worth pointing out in the interests of balance that most Vics fans of old from the days when we used to play them regularly, went over to 1874 Northwich who are in a higher league & get more fans then Northwich Vics too. I forget all the arguments but it’s my understanding that 1874 whilst not having the name would be more the true keepers of the flame for football in Northwich than their mire illustrious neighbours.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 10:23:50 PM »

Think it’s worth pointing out in the interests of balance that most Vics fans of old from the days when we used to play them regularly, went over to 1874 Northwich who are in a higher league & get more fans then Northwich Vics too. I forget all the arguments but it’s my understanding that 1874 whilst not having the name would be more the true keepers of the flame for football in Northwich than their mire illustrious neighbours.

Sounds like a ring of truth there, Sarf, so I won't argue with that.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 "Is Vic There?"