Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Hartlepools, Hartlepools United, Hartlepool or Hartlepool United?

Author Topic: Hartlepools, Hartlepools United, Hartlepool or Hartlepool United?  (Read 3374 times)

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: September 18, 2023, 07:48:33 AM »

I remember that my father insisted on calling them "Hartlepools" when we met them in the FA Cup during the early 1970s.

It appears that this stems in the main from the 1908 foundation of the present club.  Although playing at the Victoria Ground, situated in West Hartlepool, the team was named Hartlepools United against public opinion as it was decided by the monkey hanging powers of the time ( that's another story) that the team should represent both of the two Hartlepool boroughs (Hartlepool and West Hartlepool) that existed at the time.

Some considerable time later, the team and the boroughs both became singular and so In 1968 the "s" and the "United" were dropped from the team name of "Hartlepools United". This was in connection with West Hartlepool being absorbed along with the old smaller town of Hartlepool and the village of Hart into one new borough named "Hartlepool".  The appendage "United" was restored in 1977.

Thanks to [Wikipedia] and [When Saturday Comes: The Half Decent Football Book By Tim Bradford] for providing the information reproduced in part above.

Perhaps they could have thrown "Hartlepool Boroughs" or "Hartlepool Towns" into the mix as well.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Hartlepools, Hartlepools United, Hartlepool or Hartlepool United?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 02:13:37 PM »

When Brian Clough was manager he passed his PSV test and gained his licence such that he drove the team bus !

Tenuous link with Alty having a bus driving ex-chairman
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 02:22:30 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 02:33:06 PM »

I read Brian Clough's Autobiography a few years ago. He was manager of Hartlepool United initially and he always named them Hartlepools in his book.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 09:57:44 PM »

As someone married to a proud monkey hanger whose immediate family all still live there, they are known to the locals in Hartlepool as ‘Pools’.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2023, 08:27:11 PM »

Chester v Hartlepool should have been my first ever football game in about 1976 (wildsh*tes prohibited this!_ and I remember my dad saying it was Hartlepools as it was a combination of east and west Hartlepools.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team