PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wealdstone - Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Wealdstone - Match Thread  (Read 10116 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Wealdstone - Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2023, 11:40:33 AM »

I agree, think CCC takes a while to get going. Didn't look fit in Ireland.

Very true about being a new dad, his energy levels will defo be hit.

Expect loans this week.

Won't be able to address all areas but still feel we need improvement up top, another winger, CM and RB ( unless Banks gets fitter and begins to overlap ).

I am not too worried about our CB's, really feel the width needs addressing, more direct attacking, wingers and fullbacks and also both able to defend the flanks.

Too many crosses come into our box. A fit James Jones and Baines, with more determination to win the crosses should be good enough.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2023, 09:12:18 PM »

Just listened to Phil’s interview post Wealdstone.

A very good interview and fair dos he acknowledged fans concerns re defensive frailties. Also fair dos that he picked a team that defended very well. As I have already said, a very good point was earned yesterday, well done to both management and players.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2023, 09:57:38 AM »

Just listened to Phil’s interview post Wealdstone.

A very good interview and fair dos he acknowledged fans concerns re defensive frailties. Also fair dos that he picked a team that defended very well. As I have already said, a very good point was earned yesterday, well done to both management and players.

Much of the problem last season was naming a different back line every game - which wasn't the management's fault, and the same can largely be said of this season too. With the exception of Jones coming back in, I hope he doesn't plan to tinker too much with it - and hopefully he's conscious that switching so regularly between two defensive formations doesn't usually help either.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2023, 04:34:06 PM »

It seemed like a long way to travel to see a rather dull game but I am pleased that we came away with a point because it has been far from habitual for us to so over the years.

When we won the National League in 1979/80 and 1980/81 we beat them both times away (1-4 and 1-2 respectively). 

It is still so very early in the season that nothing is out of reach for us just yet and we all know how good we are capable of being.  I maintain that we are still in line for a top season with lots of special memories being forged and committed to memory for altyfans.co.uk of the future.

Our luck always seems to abandon us just as we are starting to look good but between 1978 and 1982, Kingy & Co. made their own luck.  They were part-time, beer supping, dressing room door kicking, bad permed haircut heroes who never, ever gave up, even in the dying seconds of the game.

1978/1979 was supposed to be the year that we won the NPL title that had so eluded us, but Mossley eventually beat us to the title (and to the NPL Cup final at Maine Road where they subsequently defeated Northwich Vics) and had one of the best non-league teams that I can ever recall seeing.

Does anyone remember Leo Skeete (a prolific goal scoring centre-forward) ...or midfield maestro Eamonn O'Keefe (who signed for Everton the following season and was also capped for Ireland a number of times).  Anyway, I'm veering off topic as usual.  I just wanted to give this example of Alty's "never say die" attitude of the time.  We met Mossley in the two-legged semi-final of the NPL Cup that I have already revealed that they went on to win, however, the first leg played at Moss Lane saw us lagging behind 1-4 with about 10 minutes left to play.  The ground was evacuating quickly but I decided to wait until the end and was I pleased that I did as Alty won the leg 5-4.

Please don't ask what the score was in the return leg at Seel Park!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wealdstone - Match Thread