Redeveolped Moss Lane even if it takes a while
- 37 (78.7%)
New Ground within the Altrincham Area
- 7 (14.9%)
New Ground even if its outside the Altrincham Area
- 3 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Moss Lane Or New Ground  (Read 11999 times)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Moss Lane Or New Ground
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2023, 05:54:14 PM »

After 55 years of coming to Moss Lane i still feel a growing sense of excitement and anticipation the closer i get to the ground on matchday , in many ways it's just like my first match as a kid all that time ago . We all know it needs a ton of stuff to bring it up to scratch but personally it won't quite be the same if we were to leave our sacred home .

67 years for me, and I echo your sentiments 100%

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2023, 06:17:16 PM »

Buying the land, cost of building a stadium, financially it’s never going to happen, with a good design Moss lane could become a more than adequate location for us to comfortably accommodate larger crowds even if we do manage to get into Lge 2 in the future.

Some folks will disagree but in the cold light of day, we are better off staying put IMO.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2023, 06:25:23 PM »

After 55 years of coming to Moss Lane i still feel a growing sense of excitement and anticipation the closer i get to the ground on matchday , in many ways it's just like my first match as a kid all that time ago . We all know it needs a ton of stuff to bring it up to scratch but personally it won't quite be the same if we were to leave our sacred home .

67 years for me, and I echo your sentiments 100%

Only coming up 58 years, but it's a ditto from me too.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2023, 06:40:13 PM »

Buying the land, cost of building a stadium, financially it’s never going to happen, with a good design Moss lane could become a more than adequate location for us to comfortably accommodate larger crowds even if we do manage to get into Lge 2 in the future.

Some folks will disagree but in the cold light of day, we are better off staying put IMO.

I agree, cant see us needing a capacity of more  than  6k even if we were to reach league 1. 5k would probably be enough, just cap away fans if need be .4K home fans and 1k away .

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2023, 08:37:01 PM »

^^^^^ That's it in a nutshell ^^^^^
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2023, 09:42:02 PM »

I think the demographic on this forum which tends towards older more long-standing supporters probably skews the results a bit. Wonder what the growing younger elements of our Fanbase would say. IMO Moss Lane sadly looks increasingly out of place in the National League of today & I don’t just mean against the big ex EFL outfits. Think of similar sized clubs in the division to us-Halifax, Kiddy etc.

Much as staying at Moss Lane would be great I think all four sides of the ground need fairly substantial modernisation & doubtless long running & tedious planning permission debates with Trafford & local residents (think of all the trouble we’ve had just doing the fanzone). So, if another relatively central-ish site could be found it may be from a financial & logistical POV that makes more sense. We have the lessons of history re Northwich & Runcorn & moving to the wrong location or somewhere completely soulless but think the challenges of doing up Moss Lane to a fully modern set up can’t be ignored.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2023, 11:17:50 PM »

I think the demographic on this forum which tends towards older more long-standing supporters probably skews the results a bit. Wonder what the growing younger elements of our Fanbase would say. IMO Moss Lane sadly looks increasingly out of place in the National League of today & I don’t just mean against the big ex EFL outfits. Think of similar sized clubs in the division to us-Halifax, Kiddy etc.

Much as staying at Moss Lane would be great I think all four sides of the ground need fairly substantial modernisation & doubtless long running & tedious planning permission debates with Trafford & local residents (think of all the trouble we’ve had just doing the fanzone). So, if another relatively central-ish site could be found it may be from a financial & logistical POV that makes more sense. We have the lessons of history re Northwich & Runcorn & moving to the wrong location or somewhere completely soulless but think the challenges of doing up Moss Lane to a fully modern set up can’t be ignored.
I'm dead against moving to South London.😁

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2023, 07:11:30 PM »

Wimbledon maybe?  :D

Julie

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2023, 06:03:56 PM »

its a tough one. Its home after all. not sure the location is expandable or sustainable. maybe if we stuck a new build on the allotments out the back and then once built use the existing stadium footprint for proper parking etc?

nimeta

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2023, 06:18:58 PM »

Emotionally ML of course. But if we are faced with a stark choice of needing a new site to justify progression through the football league (if the new investors are willing to really put their hands in their combined pockets), then so be it. Obviously as long as it's not some crazy site miles away.

This would be a nice problem to have frankly

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2023, 08:33:40 PM »

Guessing that there must be a complete lack of reasonably priced land around here.....land that is available for commercial development - which I assume includes football clubs.
On the basis a house here costs double for the same dwelling in Oldham or Bury, then I think we will surely struggle to identify a site that is not in the middle of nowhere. Dont want to end up in an industrial estate like Vics
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2023, 09:53:39 PM »

Sale Sharks have had exactly the same problem and I think they are significally more wealthy than us. They were hopimg to move to Sale Harriers running club recently but that fell through due to local opposition.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2023, 10:22:18 PM »

We aren't moving anywhere (even though it's entertaining to discuss it).
We just need to redevelop the pop side into mostly seats and a place for the singers at the chequers end, then tart up the away end with partial cover and a couple of hundred seats, decent toilets and an away limit of about 1200 and Bob's your uncle. That's all we'll need up to and including league one. I just can't see us averaging more than 5k so that would be absolutely fine.
Steeper terracing in the Golf Road would be the icing on the cake.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2023, 04:25:25 PM »

If you Google map the area 2 plots seem bigger than moss lane one between King George and the golf club and the bigger behind Long hey and grove Lane,  possibly called Grove Park? This area might have gas issues or something though? Council would have to be on board ontop of big investment and sale of moss lane , worth it? Probably not moss lane has potential to be a great 7000 capacity ground.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2023, 07:59:59 PM »

It would have to be multi use recreation. We could build on top of the driving range with little effect to residential. If we filled one side with indoor simulators we've improved the golfers experience and created multiple uses. Add in a 30m indoor shooting range under the other side and the shooting club are sorted for...

I've not spent any time thinking about this at all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Moss Lane Or New Ground