Redeveolped Moss Lane even if it takes a while
- 37 (78.7%)
New Ground within the Altrincham Area
- 7 (14.9%)
New Ground even if its outside the Altrincham Area
- 3 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Moss Lane Or New Ground  (Read 11992 times)

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Moss Lane Or New Ground
« on: September 01, 2023, 06:41:03 PM »

Option 1 for me

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Moss Lane Or New Ground
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 06:51:18 PM »

Option 1

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 07:18:25 PM »

Absolute no brainer! 'soulless' new and well appointed ground at Moss Lane! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 07:39:59 PM »

i only started watching alty cos its walking distance from my house. otherwise i might have to watch the bowls on hale road.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 07:54:13 PM »

Option 1.

I would only be agreeable to a different location if it was within a one mile radius of the Town Centre and was easy to get to on foot.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 07:59:54 PM »

100% Moss Lane.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 08:23:23 PM »

I can't believe people like stadiums like Fylde's if I'm honest but each to their own. For me, Moss Lane is full of character and is synonymous with the club. There's potential to redevelop some of the ground whilst retaining its character and identity and that's the balance we would need to strike in my opinion. Moss Lane is unique and it's in a great location for the town and for locals who live nearby, and on top of that it is the lower league type ground that people want to visit and want to watch football in.

Having said that, there are a lot of things we could improve. There's scope, I'm sure, to redevelop the popular side entirely. The car park behind it is just spare land and if we had the funds (and the desire) could be used to to build a brand new stand much bigger than what's there now and probably with facilities within it given the space around it.

The main stand could be modernised, whilst retaining its character, and if needed the family stand next to it could be completely rebuilt or even incorporated into the main stand to form one new stand. Then the Golf Road End is another that could be largely left as it is for atmosphere but some tweaks like giving it steeper steps or a new roof etc could be implemented. i'd want to keep the curve personally as I think that's unique and all part of the character of the ground but there's no reason why modernisation and upgrades can't be made whilst retaining that.

I'm not saying that this is what we should do word for word but I think there are ideas there where the ground could be updated to a satisfactory standard without bulldozing the entire thing or moving to a new stadium somewhere else.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2023, 08:51:59 PM »

I'd love to be wrong, but I think we might get away with redoing the pop side but the rest will just create havock with the neighbours.

I'd love to have the council on our side and know if we go in to a planning meeting we'd have the larger sway of the vote... I just don't see that ever being the case.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2023, 09:01:10 PM »

100% Moss Lane. The place is heaven and sometimes hell.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2023, 09:26:33 PM »

So the question is, what can we realistically do; what would we want to do (and I think there would be strong support for retaining the character of the ground); and what would we definitely not want?

It was stated elsewhere, for example, that a seated area near the Chequers End turnstiles would not be workable for whatever reason - so what could actually be done at that end or in  other parts of the ground? Can anyone provide lists for any category? For me, the main thing is that supporters are consulted so far as is reasonably possible, which I think will happen, but it is a pressing matter as ground development was always going to happen when funds become available, and now they have. The only real development since the family stand affecting the terraces is the small terrace replacing the Mausoleum as attention has been given to facilities such as the fan zone and redeveloping the sponsors' lounge, but attention will need to turn to the terraces at some point.

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2023, 10:33:46 PM »

I've yet to visit a new ground that I've thought was better than ML and therefore presented itself as a model to work towards.  Without exception they seem to me to be soulless.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2023, 07:21:40 AM »

I think the issue really is that house and land prices are so ludicrously high within a mile / few miles of the ground that any new ground would cost more than the club could raise by offering the existing land.  (plus the covenant for recreation).  In most cases that is how the new grounds have been paid for.   York seemed to have done well, and location with other things such as the shops and cinema help, their attendances are strong.  Northwich got it horribly wrong
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2023, 05:53:01 PM »

I'm sure the club will look at all options, whilst I love the history and nostalgia created at ML, I think we should consider a move if it means we have better facilities and capacity for the future. I would want it not to be too far from its current location as I can walk there at present.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2023, 06:23:55 PM »

got to be Moss lane for me, having been coming to the ground since 1963
Harold

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2023, 05:11:42 PM »

After 55 years of coming to Moss Lane i still feel a growing sense of excitement and anticipation the closer i get to the ground on matchday , in many ways it's just like my first match as a kid all that time ago . We all know it needs a ton of stuff to bring it up to scratch but personally it won't quite be the same if we were to leave our sacred home .
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Moss Lane Or New Ground