PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Mill Farm
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mill Farm  (Read 10215 times)

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Mill Farm
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2023, 01:25:06 PM »

I think that moving to a site remote from the Town would be a grave error.  Our current position is ideal.  The Interchange is only 0.8 miles from Moss Lane and is a gateway to the present site that could not be replicated if we move out of town.

A new remote site might be tolerated whilst we are in the ascendancy but what happens if we have a sudden decline? 

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2023, 01:40:02 PM »

A new remote site might be tolerated whilst we are in the ascendancy but what happens if we have a sudden decline?

What are you talking about UA? From here, the only way is up 👆 👆🇦🇹🏆
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2023, 02:48:59 PM »

What are you talking about UA? From here, the only way is up 👆 👆🇦🇹🏆

Yes, I totally agree, up Moss Lane to see the match at a redeveloped Stadium. I have just been looking at some of the 392 pages of complaints from the York City fans on their forum about their new LNER Stadium.

Home is where the heart is.   

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2023, 03:15:10 PM »

I don't think we'll be moving to the M56 in Bowdon or Hale Barns. Too much worry about what the impact of HS2 might be.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2023, 03:28:58 PM »

I don't think we'll be moving to the M56 in Bowdon or Hale Barns. Too much worry about what the impact of HS2 might be.

Would be very handy for the folks in London Alty though I suppose? 😊
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2023, 07:46:59 PM »

For me, I think we can create a perfectly decent 5-6k capacity stadium with up to about 2k seats on the present site with judicious development, which would serve us well enough up to "League One". If we ever happen to find ourselves in a position where we are looking to establish ourselves as a "Championship" club, then maybe revisit the question. Maybe. But I remember one of our most loyal supporters saying around the time when we looked like losing our ground that if we moved to Flixton or some such with no prospect of a quick return then he wouldn't go as it wouldn't be his club any more. In any move, we would have to consider how many core supporters would feel the same way about a move to a soulless out of town ground. Sometimes there is more to consider than finance or the limitations of  the current site.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2023, 08:33:23 PM »

it might have saved the club at the time but selling off the car park for housing is a massive restriction on future stadium development.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2023, 08:48:41 PM »

As you infer though, if it hadn't have been done we wouldn't have had a club to develop a ground for.
Just imagine the massive stand we could have had there with the GRE being for the away fans?
Echoes of Woking!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 08:51:02 PM by Saughall Robin »

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2023, 09:57:09 AM »

I liked the curved roofs and stylish floodlights at Fylde and thought the whole design had been tastefully worked out. 6000 capacity too was not overbearing.

I might be wrong, but I think the 6,000 capacity was the initial figure when the ground was three-sided, before the construction of the home end which houses another 1,800 - although you could stand on that side previously I think, so not all of that would be added on.

Agreed on the point that we really shouldn't be looking at a capacity any more than 7,500 tops - anything more than that would be ridiculous.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2023, 10:07:25 AM »

I don't get the soulless new stadium line. I'd love it if we had a ground like Fylde.
We could build the atmosphere ourselves!!

PS. It would have to be on the ML site of course! 🏟️

PPS we'd only reach higher crowds by giving more of the ground to big away followings and that's not worth it in the long run. So 7k with 1.5k for away fans would be more than enough for up to league one.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 10:13:50 AM by Saughall Robin »

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2023, 04:52:23 PM »

Me neither. I think some people stay away because the ground is what it is. Progress is being made but it's still light years away from a lot of the ex league grounds that we visit.

Build the ground and they will come.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2023, 05:28:44 PM »

Me neither. I think some people stay away because the ground is what it is. Progress is being made but it's still light years away from a lot of the ex league grounds that we visit.

I've never thought of this line of thought before and not sure how much water it holds. If it's true I'm well out of step with my concept of being an Alty fan. My latest visit to York City left me empty and pretty sure I'd hate it if we followed suit. Perhaps it's an age thing, I don't know. I'll accept I've more years behind me watching football that in front and I could be suffering from a severe dose of nostalgia. If I'm in a minority I'd accept a democratic decision and go with the flow.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2023, 05:50:49 PM »

I've never thought of this line of thought before and not sure how much water it holds. If it's true I'm well out of step with my concept of being an Alty fan. My latest visit to York City left me empty and pretty sure I'd hate it if we followed suit. Perhaps it's an age thing, I don't know. I'll accept I've more years behind me watching football that in front and I could be suffering from a severe dose of nostalgia. If I'm in a minority I'd accept a democratic decision and go with the flow.
I am with you Rorys......happy to use the 'facilities' of a town centre and watch a winning team in a nearby decrepit stadium.
Not interested in a Fylde or York....albeit Fylde did have a few things nearby.

The key in my opinion is a winning team or great atmosphere.....not necessarily the ground.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2023, 07:48:00 PM »

I too, am not against a new 'a le Fylde' style stadium.  The game on Monday was the first time I have been there and I was really impressed with it.  There was nothing that would prevent me from being proud if Alty played in a similar stadium... except if it was not built at Moss Lane or a new location at a similar distance from the Town Centre.

A capacity of 7,500 would be about right for us. I think that we have to accept that we are subject to a niche status with limited opportunities to grow our attendances.

This is due to two European Mega Clubs a short distance to the north, Stockport County to the east, Scousers and Rugby League wallahs to the west and the relatively sparsely populated Cheshire Plain to the south.  When we are doing well we do attract some fans from City and United who watch Alty as their 'second' team but they don't hang around when the going gets tough.  I see us attracting a core of home supporters that is an average somewhere between 2,500-4,000 if we make EFL2 making our attendances between 3,000 - 5,000 with away fans included.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2023, 08:15:43 PM »

100% this!  ^^^^
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Mill Farm