News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Playoffs

Author Topic: Playoffs  (Read 3951 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Playoffs
« on: August 28, 2023, 08:52:06 PM »

We should be aiming for the playoffs this season.

The only thing, which I think will stop us, is the depth of the squad.

We are already having to convert to 5 at the back and 4 CM's in games, just because we have two wide players injured. We look even more vulnerable and disjointed when we play this formation.

I appreciate Parky stated a lot of playing budget has already gone into this current squad and you can see the quality, but I am sure I heard part of the new investment will be used towards playing operations.

If we are not planning on signing any more players until Jan then we need to dip into the loan market. Turn draws into wins by being positive.

I am happy with the fact we are unbeaten but also feel we have dropped a load of points, because of poor game management, we don't see games out. Sit back in this league and you get punished.

Just using a couple of last year loan players, as examples, if we had Maxi and Sinclair to bring on at 2 nil today and Parky was brave and doesn't remain defensive ( which we are terrible at doing ) then we would have had 3 points.

Same if we started our strongest formation against York, we would have won .

We go toe to toe with Woking and Chesterfield, attacking, in our best formation and we pick up 6 points.

If we do play 5 ( 3 cbs and wingbacks) then at least have 3 attacking players on the pitch.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 08:27:49 AM by oneedham »

AltyRobin

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
Re: Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 06:47:08 AM »

Top post. Absolutely hit the nail on the head. 2 points dropped v Dag & Red, York and now Fylde. Snatching draws from the clutches of victory will cost us. I see us finishing just above the middle

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 09:42:17 AM »

We are already having to convert to 5 at the back and 4 CM's in games, just because we have two wide players injured. We look even more vulnerable and disjointed when we play this formation.

I appreciate Parky stated a lot of playing budget has already gone into this current squad and you can see the quality, but I am sure I heard part of the new investment will be used towards playing operations.

If we are not planning on signing any more players until Jan then we need to dip into the loan market. Turn draws into wins by being positive.

I am happy with the fact we are unbeaten but also feel we have dropped a load of points, because of poor game management, we don't see games out. Sit back in this league and you get punished.

Just using a couple of last year loan players, as examples, if we had Maxi and Sinclair to bring on at 2 nil today and Parky was brave and doesn't remain defensive ( which we are terrible at doing ) then we would have had 3 points.

We go toe to toe with Woking and Chesterfield, attacking, in our best formation and we pick up 6 points.

If we do play 5 ( 3 cbs and wingbacks) then at least have 3 attacking players on the pitch.

Sinclair in particular is a decent case in point.

My memory might be deceiving me, but there was definitely a stage last season where he was being rotated in and out of our side in the interest of tinkering. Linney suffered too.

He's currently demonstrating that he's one of the best forwards in the league.

I get that this weekend was the shortest turnaround we'll face, however it's rare for Parky not to surprise us a little bit with his XI each week.

You play your best players, it's as simple as that.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 10:07:39 AM »

The big problem with that is when we have injuries, the replacements are very rusty. Look at Osborne last year for example.
I can sort of see what Parky's doing given we've got a small squad and we've just got to live with it. Having said that, we really have to keep attacking and have more forwards on the pitch as we're very susceptible to conceding daft goal which need addressing in training and coaching.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 11:15:05 AM »

Agree. Points definitely dropped at two games - maybe three
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 12:02:32 PM »

We just need to stop surrendering possession so easily during added time. It's becoming a cyclical process. Our keeper/centre half boots the ball upfield to nobody. Opposition rapidly find winger (not closed down by full back). Cross comes in to big centre forward and all panic breaks lose because none of our centre backs can cope with usually the big 9.
I've seen it v Halifax, D&R and Fylde.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 12:08:32 PM »

We just need to stop surrendering possession so easily during added time. It's becoming a cyclical process. Our keeper/centre half boots the ball upfield to nobody. Opposition rapidly find winger (not closed down by full back). Cross comes in to big centre forward and all panic breaks lose because none of our centre backs can cope with usually the big 9.
I've seen it v Halifax, D&R and Fylde.

That's it in a nutshell, AB.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 05:51:16 PM »

We've got the tallest set of defenders I can ever remember, yet we repeatedly fail to deal with high balls into our box. That really needs addressing in training as a priority.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2023, 08:14:11 PM »

We've got the tallest set of defenders I can ever remember, yet we repeatedly fail to deal with high balls into our box. That really needs addressing in training as a priority.

Be much braver at defending crosses.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2023, 12:16:46 PM »

Fair play to Parky and the club. Crankshaw is a step towards playoffs.

Cannot wait to see the 4 : Amaluzor, Crankshaw, CCC and Linney on the pitch together.

Donowa to come back, who can bring pace late on.

Kossy who can play out wide or in the 10.

And of course Angus as another option up top or alongside Lnney.

Get them all back fit and we can play each game positively and attack teams.

Really excited for Sat.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Playoffs