PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Popside
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Popside  (Read 5643 times)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Popside
« on: August 19, 2023, 07:07:12 PM »

Anyone any idea why at kick off today the far end of the Popside (the goal we are attacking) is closed due to the presence of 38 Boreham Wood supporters kept in check on the Chequers End ?

I asked the question politely to the steward who did not answer
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Popside
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 07:32:52 PM »

I guess it's easier to keep the Genie in the bottle than try to recapture it once t's escaped.

A sensibe decision in the end.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2023, 07:58:24 PM »

I guess it's easier to keep the Genie in the bottle than try to recapture it once t's escaped.

A sensibe decision in the end.
I can see the point of this tactic......it makes good sense......but an overreaction based on today's opposition (unless club had intel).
It just ended up with many congregated on the walkway, when rules only allow standing one deep on the perimeter. Hence created a breach of ground rules.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2023, 08:09:20 PM »

I counted their supporters several times during the game and the most I could come up with was 22. I guess the other 16 were in the Atlantic Timber main stand or otherwise taking an extended comfort break.

Was that fan of theirs gesturing for a fight?  I only remember three other singletons wanting to do that in the past and they were (1) a fat Hereford fan, (2)
a 15 year old Chester Fan wearing a River Island creation masquerading as a Hi-viz jacket and (3) a Jesus lookalike from Bradford P.A.

They drew the following retorts:
(1) "I am a cider drinker, I drinks it all of the day" and 'Ooh arr, ooh arr, ooh arr, ooh arr, etc.
(2) "Are you a lifeboatman?, Are you a lifeboatman? etc. and "Are you school bus monitor"
(3) "We've got a friend in Jesus"

AltyRobin

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 12:40:33 PM »

Can we rename it as The Mark Maddox Popular Side once it has been redeveloped

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2023, 02:44:23 PM »

https://altrinchamfc.com/blogs/news/club-statement-on-popular-side-issue-last-saturday

So we created a brand new role of operations manager yet the stewards seem to think they can decide how they operate themselves? Very poor

Alty Nigel

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2023, 03:11:10 PM »

At least we now know what went on and the likely arrangements for Saturday.
Unfortunately in my tenure such helpful posts from the club were rare.
Good that we are improving ☹️

TheGolfRoadView

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2023, 05:32:57 AM »

Yes thats true, I don't recall the club saying anything about the situation re the Popside v Notts County last season. Not sure it should have taken until Wednesday though to release a statement about last Saturday. The club are employing these extra individuals to become a more professional outfit on and off the pitch but at times we are still very amateurish in some aspects. Surely if you have a new set of stewards, you would hope the club would have gone through with them what their match roles would be.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 05:36:20 AM by TheGolfRoadView »

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2023, 06:22:18 PM »

i got the impression the chief steward/safety office bloke took his role very seriously and wanted to make it very clear he was in charge. i did hear him make a remark to one of his stewards that that also gave the impression he wasn't particularly in favour of the decision to open up  the popside.  (i was watching from the family stand).

TheGolfRoadView

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2023, 05:29:55 PM »

Yes they didn't seem in a hurry to let people through even after talking to Bill. This take though would mean half the pop side being empty for this season, apart from the occasional game like tomorrow when the away fans fill that space or when there is no segregation.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2023, 05:46:46 PM »

Imho (and I'm sure many on here would agree) the ideal solution would be to segregate at the scoreboard corner and stick a roof behind the goal. It surely wouldn't be too expensive and if it meant keeping away tickets down to 1300 or so then why not? We didn't get more allocation elsewhere. The lower away numbers wouldn't be much of a financial hit - especially if the chance to chant at the end of the pop side attracted more young Alty fans.
I can't help thinking we're a bit too nice sometimes. It is, after all, our ground!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2023, 06:22:11 PM »

Imho (and I'm sure many on here would agree) the ideal solution would be to segregate at the scoreboard corner and stick a roof behind the goal. It surely wouldn't be too expensive. It is, after all, our ground!

Oh if it was that simple  :-[

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2023, 10:39:34 PM »

Imho (and I'm sure many on here would agree) the ideal solution would be to segregate at the scoreboard corner and stick a roof behind the goal. It surely wouldn't be too expensive. It is, after all, our ground!

Oh if it was that simple  :-[

lt is.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2023, 11:54:41 PM »

I am relieved to read of plans for a sterile area after the nonsense at the Notts County game last season. Good to see that lessons have been learnt.

As for the  away Chequers end, I would favour putting up a (small?) seated stand in the area near the Chequers End turnstiles and leaving the family stand free for home supporters in matches where segregation may be used.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 11:58:24 PM by Hugh »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2023, 09:01:33 AM »

I am relieved to read of plans for a sterile area after the nonsense at the Notts County game last season. Good to see that lessons have been learnt.

As for the  away Chequers end, I would favour putting up a (small?) seated stand in the area near the Chequers End turnstiles and leaving the family stand free for home supporters in matches where segregation may be used.

That's a very good idea 💡
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Popside