PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 York Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: York Match Thread  (Read 7113 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: York Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2023, 09:53:05 PM »

We're losing to a really average team. Play our best XI and we beat them.

I didn't like the look of the Joey Jones signing, and nothing has changed that.

I was also concerned about Joey Jones, well off the pace.
Maybe Wilson need a chance.
Osborne played really well but we are a CM and possibly another wide player short IMO.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2023, 09:55:42 PM »

I would have taken the draw at half-time to keep the unbeaten record going - but we absolutely bossed them as soon as we went back to our usual system.

Roscoe (who missed a sitter of a header) and Joey Jones both look like absolute carthorses - I don't know why Baines was the one to make way.

Dior Angus was pretty dreadful when he came on - couldn't stay onside and thrashed wildly at anything that did come his way.

Strange to hear the commentary team say Linney and Conn-Clarke had good games - I guess we know they're both capable of much better, not much came off for them.

Marriott wasn't his usual influential self but Osborne played really well I thought - looked much more confident and assured, picked some great passes out too.

Onwards and upwards.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2023, 10:04:02 PM »

One tiny pick at Osbourne in what has been a night-and-day improvement this season is his speed releasing the ball.

Linney was a terrier until he went off, if he had been given one of the chances Angus had we'd have won.

I can't help but think the Angus, Joey Jones, and Roscoe being off the pace is to do with them all missing pre-season. Players don't come here as fit as they leave us it seems.

Gutted we didn't win but I bet York feel the same

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2023, 10:06:28 PM »

Young Linney needs to make decisions quicker, we should have been one up but he keeps taking an unnecessary extra touch when in with a scoring chance, Joey  Jones seemed well off the pace, Angus didn’t do a lot when he came on, I understood the decision to give Matty a rest he has had a serious injury and needs handling with care. Amaluzor should have started. A deserved point in the end which was really a fair result.. We need to be at it for Borehamwood and Chesterfield.

Excellent turn out by the Alty faithful.

A decent start to the campaign which is a good sign

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2023, 10:07:00 PM »

I think the idea of us having two different systems we use regularly is good but we don’t have the personnel to make 3-5-2 work at the moment. Neither Banks or Eddy Jones offers any kind of attacking threat as wingbacks. The three in midfield tonight are too same-y. No creativity and nobody who really looks to get beyond the front players. And when you play three CBs, the two wide ones need to be able to step into midfield and make play. James Jones can do that but Baines can’t. He’s good in a back four but not in a five.

Happy with a point in the end.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2023, 10:21:27 PM »

Really sharp performance at times tonight, our first goal especially was sublime. Contrary to some views on here I thought Conn-Clarke was excellent. Seemed to have time on the ball every time he was in possession, pulled strings and created dangerous opportunities consistently. Linney too, aside from his first effort, looked sharp, was weaving in and out of the York defence and was unlucky not to score himself. Credit again too to Ethan Ross for another superb save at the end.

York looked very dangerous going forward at times and made us look vulnerable under pressure in some situations but I thought we had them in midfield and in the final third as well.

Overall, a really decent point against a York side that are bound to get their act together sooner or later. Bonus that we've kept the unbeaten record and Kosylo and Amaluzor's legs have been conserved for the weekend. Roll on Borehamwood.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2023, 01:39:06 AM »

I would have taken the draw at half-time to keep the unbeaten record going - but we absolutely bossed them as soon as we went back to our usual system.

Roscoe (who missed a sitter of a header) and Joey Jones both look like absolute carthorses - I don't know why Baines was the one to make way.

Dior Angus was pretty dreadful when he came on - couldn't stay onside and thrashed wildly at anything that did come his way.

Strange to hear the commentary team say Linney and Conn-Clarke had good games - I guess we know they're both capable of much better, not much came off for them.

Marriott wasn't his usual influential self but Osborne played really well I thought - looked much more confident and assured, picked some great passes out too.

Onwards and upwards.

For my money, that's a pretty accurate synopsis of the game.

Ultimately, I'm actually somewhat disappointed that we haven't managed to record yet another victory in York, as I thought that we created the better chances.

Linney should have put us 1-0 up inside the opening three minutes, only for him to emulate AC/DC and take a touch too much.

Then there were those two late golden opportunities: CCC blazing over the bar from close range when you fully expected him to score his second goal of the night and Roscoe's inexplicable misdirected free header from that Eddy Jones corner.

I'd still love to see a creative (and goalscoring) central midfielder recruited, but I suspect that they are currently even harder to find than Nadine Dorries.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2023, 06:18:25 AM »

Watched the game on the stream last night, thoroughly enjoyed what was an end-to-end enthralling game, perfect for any watching neutrals. I basically agreed with all the above. Chris Conn-Clarke was inventive, Matty Kosylo made a difference and his running after he came on was a nightmare for York's defenders. We really missed him last season, and it is like having a new player again. He is a nice fella too, the girls and I have spoken to him on a few occasions and he always has time for you. Overall it was a good advert for the National League, York made me nervous going forward, they have improved over last season and like us, they will be a top half team. The other players who came in today need a little more game time, but we have good strength in depth and I like Regan Linney too. He had their defence at 6's and 7's last night. Fair result for both teams and I notice we are being taken more seriously this season, which is good to see.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2023, 08:22:28 AM »

Onwards and upwards.

For my money, that's a pretty accurate synopsis of the game.

Ultimately, I'm actually somewhat disappointed that we haven't managed to record yet another victory in York, as I thought that we created the better chances.

Linney should have put us 1-0 up inside the opening three minutes, only for him to emulate AC/DC and take a touch too much.

Then there were those two late golden opportunities: CCC blazing over the bar from close range when you fully expected him to score his second goal of the night and Roscoe's inexplicable misdirected free header from that Eddy Jones corner.

I'd still love to see a creative (and goalscoring) central midfielder recruited, but I suspect that they are currently even harder to find than Nadine Dorries.

Agreed. We could be sat here with 9/9, fine margins. For all the money lavished on that York team over the summer they weren’t overly impressive. Dangerous & pacey up top but not the control or flow in their football that we have. Still I’d have taken 4/6 from Woking & York away & now on to another big test in Boreham Wood.

Also a note on our support, to take over 200 to a midweek game 2hrs away is really impressive & we were very vocal too. Hopefully it will continue to grow throughout the season. 3-400 at Fylde perhaps. To end on a curmudgeonly note, Brew York a main club sponsor & their ads plastered all over the ground & just Amstel, John Smiths or cider in the away end. Save us a few bottles next year please.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2023, 12:08:47 PM »

I know that it is early days yet, but lots of positives from Alty again last night and I continue to retain a good vibe.

I agree that we were vulnerable to and soon fell victim of their pre-industrial tactics. There was nothing inventive about their play which consisted basically of:-

1.  Counter attack quickly along the flanks missing out the midfield.
2.  Cut inside and cross, or
3.  Cross it at the byline
4.  Put lots of spin on the ball causing it to hang in the air or make an unpredictable descent.
5.  Cram the area in front of goal with as many players as can be spared.
6.  When the ball cuts loose play pinball and hope that it goes in.
7.  Use the same method for corners and set pieces.

In contrast we were more inventive with our movement towards goal and outfield play showing some nice touches leading to clear-cut chances that on another day would have found the back of the net. I thought that we might have stolen it at the end, however, I am satisfied that on balance that a draw was a fair result.

Fantastic support on view and my thanks go to the fellow Alty supporter who gave me a lift to the game.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2023, 05:01:26 PM »

Good to hear the many positives from last night and i agree 5 from 9 is a very decent start . The support sounded fantastic on RR too , brilliant effort 👏  The usual raft of surprise early season results in the NL and i do believe that this season that as few as 65 points might hit the play off mark . Other than Chesterfield i don't see anyone else as stand outs to challenge so we could be well in the mix .l do believe that we need to play our strongest and best balanced 11where possible rather than the rotational option to maintain that challenge though.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 York Match Thread