PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Signing
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Signing  (Read 4762 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Signing
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2023, 07:41:48 PM »

For my money, the recruitment of a new goalkeeper should have been a priority this summer rather than an eleventh-hour decision.

Having said that, I am relieved that Phil Parkinson has seen the light and taken action to remedy what had become a difficult situation.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2023, 07:58:16 PM »

We don't know how long this has been worked on though do we? Could have taken a long time to get over the line.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2023, 08:53:04 PM »

Some of us did discuss this possible signing with some Stockport County supporting friends in Costello's before our game against them, and we agreed it seemed an obvious move which would benefit all parties. Good to see it happen at last!

Good luck to Ethan at the club; he has always looked like a very accomplished goalkeeper, and I am sure he will do well. I would expect Ollie Byrne to go out on loan,. Without knowing about any possible  recall agreement for Ethan Ross, I'd imagine this would only be a loan; hopefully, he can regain his form and confidence, but I think his eventual future may lie elsewhere, which is no disrespect - that's just the nature of football.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2023, 08:23:55 AM »

Similarly to Dinanga - if Ollie ends up going somewhere else, finding his feet and wanting to make it permanent, I'd genuinely be pleased for him.

There's definitely a goalkeeper in there, hence why we tried so hard to sign him in the first place - but goalkeeping is brutal, you can't wait too long for someone to come good - otherwise we'd probably be back in the National League North before we know it. A top half club in that league would be perfect for him.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2023, 08:34:17 AM »

Good signing.

Hard but important decision made by Phil.

This should hopefully allow Ollie to go out on loan to build his confidence, with less pressure.
Without trying to fan flames, this could be our best signing of the summer.
Hopefully creates competition for the jersey and improves the overall goalkeeping situation at the club.

Not so sure O.B. will go out on loan, but maybe makes sense to do so and keep Gould as coach and back-up ?

I know we’re kind of talking about how Ollie might go out on loan or stay and learn etc but the reality of this signing is that it’s nothing earth shattering, it merely brings us to the level of every football club in the world in having 2 goalkeepers of a good standard competing for the same slot. Competition is part of football.

As such, what it means for Ollie is whatever he makes of it. If it galvanises/reassures him and he competes well then he’ll end up as our keeper, if he competes but isn’t as good then he’ll find his level elsewhere, if the competition disturbs him too much and he can’t cope then maybe football at such a high level isn’t for him.

I think it’ll be one of the first two outcomes incidentally but I wouldn’t view this as anything other than a natural progression in a footballer and a football clubs progress.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2023, 08:12:54 PM »

Ollie is off to Ireland. Finish the season over there then back for the second half of the season?

At least if his dad's response to his tweet sent just as we kick off is anything to go by.

https://twitter.com/oliverbyrne3/status/1684262771192365073/retweets/with_comments

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2023, 08:40:33 PM »

Waterford?
Full time and proud of it

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile