News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Overseas opposition

Author Topic: Overseas opposition  (Read 1997 times)

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Overseas opposition
« on: July 21, 2023, 10:04:18 PM »

John Laidlar's Alty Pages has an article about previous overseas opposition Altrincham FC have taken on. I also recall a mid-season (for Alty) game against a Norwegian team round about the late 1990s who were on a pre-season (for them) tour but I can't recall the name of the team. So a bit vague all round really. I'm sure someone will be able to fill in the gaps.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Overseas opposition
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 11:35:03 PM »

John Laidlar's Alty Pages has an article about previous overseas opposition Altrincham FC have taken on. I also recall a mid-season (for Alty) game against a Norwegian team round about the late 1990s who were on a pre-season (for them) tour but I can't recall the name of the team. So a bit vague all round really. I'm sure someone will be able to fill in the gaps.
I can't remember a Norwegian team, but I do remember us playing Djurgaardens from Stockholm in early 1990, and wonder if that's who you are thinking of.
I was planning to attend that match, but failed, as I fell flat on my face earlier in the day (not alcohol related!) and was unfit. Hopefully, nothing similar happens in the Netherlands this weekend.  :)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2023, 12:14:17 AM »

The Norwegian team was Il Nest, I think.

I remember playing Mazda from Japan in the early 90's as well.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 12:17:35 AM by Paul Cain's Chip Pan »
Come on Alty!

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 07:01:15 AM »

I have a memory of playing a team in the mid 70's from Japan, but cannot remember who they were. I remember going into the Red-Robin club or Chequers after the game and nobody from the Japanese team eating the buffet food laid on for them. Our players ate there, but we were asked to dive in as there was loads of food left and they didn't want it to be thrown away. My memory is somewhat foggy but I remember thinking the Japanese players maybe had their own chef so were not permitted to eat the buffet. Not sure of name of the team we played, or the exact time it was played, but the food was pretty good and I thought it was the Japan players loss.   
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Overseas opposition