PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Goalkeeper
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Goalkeeper  (Read 8454 times)

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Goalkeeper
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2023, 12:40:01 PM »

Looking down the list of free agents - and applying some geographical sense in most cases - the following half dozen jump out at me currently:

Ben Garratt (29), Burton - previously suggested on here, vastly experienced with Crewe before joining Burton. Might be slightly out of reach budget-wise.
Jonny Maxted (29), Northampton - another one suggested, was backup keeper at Northampton last season. Was trialling with Newport recently, might come available.
Jonathan Mitchell (28), Doncaster - another one suggested, first choice at Donny last season but form was inconsistent and they chose to release. Might be too expensive.
Ryan Schofield (23), Huddersfield - former youth team mate of Isaac Marriott, and first team experience too. Been unfortunate with injuries and last seen on loan at Crawley.
Scott Moloney (22), Barrow - restricted mainly to EFL Trophy appearances, made one start due to injury. Spent time on loan at Guiseley but didn't seem to pull up trees there.
Mackenzie Chapman (20), Bolton - part of Bolton's 'B' team where Halifax found Adam Senior. Former United scholar, impressed on loan at Atherton keeping them in the NPL.
I mentioned the three older lads because I believe we need an experienced head to come in and spend 18 months making Ollie a better keeper. While also rebuilding their career for another run at the football league. If we can do it for outfield players, what's to say we can't for a GK, too?

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2023, 03:07:18 PM »

Looking down the list of free agents - and applying some geographical sense in most cases - the following half dozen jump out at me currently:

Ben Garratt (29), Burton - previously suggested on here, vastly experienced with Crewe before joining Burton. Might be slightly out of reach budget-wise.
Jonny Maxted (29), Northampton - another one suggested, was backup keeper at Northampton last season. Was trialling with Newport recently, might come available.
Jonathan Mitchell (28), Doncaster - another one suggested, first choice at Donny last season but form was inconsistent and they chose to release. Might be too expensive.
Ryan Schofield (23), Huddersfield - former youth team mate of Isaac Marriott, and first team experience too. Been unfortunate with injuries and last seen on loan at Crawley.
Scott Moloney (22), Barrow - restricted mainly to EFL Trophy appearances, made one start due to injury. Spent time on loan at Guiseley but didn't seem to pull up trees there.
Mackenzie Chapman (20), Bolton - part of Bolton's 'B' team where Halifax found Adam Senior. Former United scholar, impressed on loan at Atherton keeping them in the NPL.
I mentioned the three older lads because I believe we need an experienced head to come in and spend 18 months making Ollie a better keeper. While also rebuilding their career for another run at the football league. If we can do it for outfield players, what's to say we can't for a GK, too?

I agree it's definitely a sensible way to go, although I suppose a lot will depend on budget - assuming they'll come at a premium compared to their younger counterparts.

Out of the younger lads, perhaps someone like Schofield strikes the right balance between age and first team experience.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2023, 07:29:26 PM »

Since England's No 1 we've only had TT as a stand out keeper for any length of time . Tony had his critics but eventually turned opinion around eventually . We could certainly do with his like now . We have had a few decent mind , like Darcy , but on reflection only Stuart and Tony that i can recall have been outstanding and that's over almost a quarter of a century !
 Considering some of the greats who wore the shirt previous to that it's baffling why so few are worthy of mention.  Yes Tony and Stewart were both young at the outset here but the NL is a whole new ball game these days . The previousygreats i refer to all arrived at ML with a wealth of experience , mostly at a higher level and also in the 25 plus age bracket  I feel we need to be looking for someone of this nature who has what it takes to handle situations , pressure , as well as expectations . Oh for an Alex Stepney !
 p.s. congrats to Saughall for 6,000 up on posts 👏

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2023, 07:57:57 PM »

The reason you can't recall many more good keepers over the last quarter of a century could have something to do with the fact that half that time the shirt was worn by either TT or England's Number One! 😉

PS. Thanks for the compliment mate - you're only about 5600 behind me 😂
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2023, 08:18:00 PM »

Yeah you're right but my main point was what we need NOW .Just my opinion .

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2023, 08:22:27 PM »

In case my flippancy disguised it, let me say I agree with you 100%.👍
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2023, 08:34:50 PM »

I don't know what the protocol is in terms of signing players from pre-season opposition but if at all possible we need to stop mucking around and take a look at the Lancaster City keeper. He looked the real deal - big bloke who commanded his area and a decent shot-stopper.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2023, 10:46:41 PM »

You and your flippin flippancy 😄

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2023, 11:29:40 PM »

You and your flippin flippancy 😄

That's easy for say to you! 😉

ClaphamAlty

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2023, 05:06:24 PM »

Ollie's dad has got a point and he has made me feel differently about fans condemning a young kid obviously doing his best.

What did Ollie's dad say?

Was it recently?

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2023, 07:21:19 PM »

Hi Clapham . It's on the Altricham FC supporters page on Facebook mate.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2023, 10:19:16 PM »

I don't think Ollie is a bad keeper; but any other player would get respite. Dinanga, Osborne, Hulme, Linney if mistakes are made.

Time for Phil to perform a duty of care; bring in a 2nd GK and give Ollie the support he needs. Coming from Welsh Champions behind a top-quality defence,  he's being challenged for the first time in his adult career.

100% behind this sensible post.  My mind is cast back to Joe Corrigan in the early 1970s at City.  The boo boys were rewarded with the signing of Keith MacRae from Motherwell in 1973/74 who immediately took Joe's place in the first team.  MacRae cost City £100,000 which was a tidy sum at the time.

Suffice to say that Joe had been retained and developed behind the scenes and it was he, not MacRae, following his  return to the first team, who went on to become a City legend.

A bit off topic but Joe Corrigan was my absolute hero as a lad. I used to watch city a fair bit all those decades ago and he was an excellent keeper. Thanks for that bit of info. He was coaching until a dozen or so years ago.

This save by Joe Corrigan was considered to be one of the best saves ever and on a par with Gordon Banks' save against Pele in the 1970 world cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJnIsAG0Ht8

Now watch Ollie's penalty save against Wrexham in last seasons trophy and tell me that he doesn't have any talent. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 10:23:52 PM by Ukrainian Alty »

AltyRobin

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2023, 09:11:48 AM »

This save by Joe Corrigan was considered to be one of the best saves ever and on a par with Gordon Banks' save against Pele in the 1970 world cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJnIsAG0Ht8

Now watch Ollie's penalty save against Wrexham in last seasons trophy and tell me that he doesn't have any talent. 

Byrne’s penalty save v Wrexham was a brilliant save but had he had to dive to his left he wouldn’t have saved it.

You can’t have a goalkeeper that is significantly weaker when diving to one side (in this case his left) or that doesn’t claim a cross that’s on his 6 yard line. PP should ask England’s Number 1 for some advice on picking a GK he’s on the terraces often enough

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2023, 11:35:15 AM »

You win leagues on consistency; not brilliance.
It's all my fault.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2023, 12:55:37 PM »

Jamie Jones ex wigan 34 worth signing just to get another Jones in the team
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Goalkeeper