PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Goalkeeper
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Goalkeeper  (Read 8484 times)

AltyRobin

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
Goalkeeper
« on: July 15, 2023, 06:11:04 PM »

Please please please can we have a new one. Byrne and Gould are not good enough for the league below let alone a playoff push like we keep being promised by PP.

Admit you got it wrong with Byrne and get someone new in NOW!!

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Goalkeeper
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2023, 06:34:06 PM »

He's a brilliant coach and man manager, but he's bloody stubborn.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out, he isn't the first and won't be the last.

Time to get ruthless.

AltyNotFaulty

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2023, 07:16:24 PM »

The commentator saying that he had tears in his eyes going off and must be distraught. He needs some protection. Putting him out in his current mind set is not going to help him. He knows that he is under the spotlight and must be fearing every touch, kick or catch.

PP… he’s a good kid and I believe there’s a keeper in there somewhere, but he now needs you to protect him, please do this for his own sake, his mental health and his future. Your the only one that cannot see he needs help in a different way and not simply keep throwing him in the lions den.

P.S… Gould wasn’t and isn’t our answer! There are 2 keepers in the Lancaster and FCUM squads that would jump at a move. Both did very well against us.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2023, 07:22:44 PM »

This is the weakness of Parky, he is stubborn at times, but it is now cruel on the lad.
We need a capable no.1 for him to learn from.
The reserve keeper should not be coaching the 1st choice keeper. Doesn't make sense.
A keeper can either win, or lose you many points over the season. Need to act now, before we kick the season off. It will only get harder for him.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 07:26:38 PM by oneedham »

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2023, 07:49:45 PM »

A decent Keeper, Centre Mid and Striker are vital for the Spine of a team, most teams will be successful if all 3 are in place so far we have 2 of the 3.

Parky must accept the fact that a GK is required,  he will make more fans happy doing this than doing nothing.

Time will tell..

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2023, 07:50:04 PM »

It's a horrible situation this. Ollie's dad has got a point and he has made me feel differently about fans condemning a young kid obviously doing his best.

Unfortunately, it's not working for either Alty or Ollie. For him to be taken out of the limelight and get a loan move to Conference North/NPL would massively benefit both parties, particularly Ollie

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2023, 07:58:48 PM »

It's a horrible situation this. Ollie's dad has got a point and he has made me feel differently about fans condemning a young kid obviously doing his best.

Unfortunately, it's not working for either Alty or Ollie. For him to be taken out of the limelight and get a loan move to Conference North/NPL would massively benefit both parties, particularly Ollie

Yes he does have a point but should realise it’s nothing personal but it is professional football, a harsh world.

However, does he necessarily need a loan somewhere? I think he suffers a bit from being the only viable option in goals. It means no matter what form he’s in he’s in the firing line, that can’t be good? I think he’d benefit from competition and a little less pressure in some ways.

I think it would also stop people getting on his back so much. People are a bit jumpy because there’s no obvious alternative.

I would say I think there’s a keeper in there though, certainly more there was than with Andrew Dawber who we mentioned on another thread.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2023, 08:11:50 PM »

Yes he does have a point but should realise it’s nothing personal but it is professional football, a harsh world.

However, does he necessarily need a loan somewhere? I think he suffers a bit from being the only viable option in goals. It means no matter what form he’s in he’s in the firing line, that can’t be good? I think he’d benefit from competition and a little less pressure in some ways.

I think it would also stop people getting on his back so much. People are a bit jumpy because there’s no obvious alternative.

I would say I think there’s a keeper in there though, certainly more there was than with Andrew Dawber who we mentioned on another thread.

Agree with this. We need to sign a number 1.
1) For Ollie to learn from
2) Give Ollie the fire in his belly to get the shirt back.
It's the way we should go.
Should never have kept Gould on.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2023, 09:06:09 PM »

He could be the future at GK for a long time. It's not yet.

I want an Alty lad between the sticks more than almost anything. Performing to the standard required is a must.

We brought in Drench to bring out the best in Thompson, we need to do the conference equivalent of that now.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2023, 09:10:00 PM »

He could be the future at GK for a long time. It's not yet.

I want an Alty lad between the sticks more than almost anything. Performing to the standard required is a must.

We brought in Drench to bring out the best in Thompson, we need to do the conference equivalent of that now.

Correct and Drench is a decent goalkeeping coach aswell. That worked.

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2023, 09:57:33 PM »

"The commentator saying that he had tears in his eyes going off "

well the commentator must have some eyesight to see that....sounds like absolute sloblock :o

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2023, 10:05:16 PM »

If he had tears in his eyes coming off, then I agree he needs removing for his own sake.

Chester still need a goalkeeper from the looks of things - it would ptobably do him the world of good to be winning matches at the top end of NLN where he'll still be tested on crosses / set pieces.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 09:45:55 AM by MarpleAlty »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2023, 10:04:37 AM »

That's a thought. But I doubt they'd go for it after having had Tyrer there.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2023, 11:47:08 AM »

That's a thought. But I doubt they'd go for it after having had Tyrer there.

Surely they'll struggle get anyone even close to that standard, you would have thought; I heard they only got Tyrer because a loan move to Tranmere had been pulled at the last minute.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2023, 12:05:43 PM »

Looking down the list of free agents - and applying some geographical sense in most cases - the following half dozen jump out at me currently:

Ben Garratt (29), Burton - previously suggested on here, vastly experienced with Crewe before joining Burton. Might be slightly out of reach budget-wise.
Jonny Maxted (29), Northampton - another one suggested, was backup keeper at Northampton last season. Was trialling with Newport recently, might come available.
Jonathan Mitchell (28), Doncaster - another one suggested, first choice at Donny last season but form was inconsistent and they chose to release. Might be too expensive.
Ryan Schofield (23), Huddersfield - former youth team mate of Isaac Marriott, and first team experience too. Been unfortunate with injuries and last seen on loan at Crawley.
Scott Moloney (22), Barrow - restricted mainly to EFL Trophy appearances, made one start due to injury. Spent time on loan at Guiseley but didn't seem to pull up trees there.
Mackenzie Chapman (20), Bolton - part of Bolton's 'B' team where Halifax found Adam Senior. Former United scholar, impressed on loan at Atherton keeping them in the NPL.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Goalkeeper