PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stockport County match thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Stockport County match thread  (Read 9200 times)

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Stockport County match thread
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2023, 10:16:57 AM »

I don't think Ollie is a bad keeper; but any other player would get respite. Dinanga, Osborne, Hulme, Linney if mistakes are made.

Time for Phil to perform a duty of care; bring in a 2nd GK and give Ollie the support he needs. Coming from Welsh Champions behind a top-quality defence,  he's being challenged for the first time in his adult career.
It's all my fault.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2023, 11:39:37 AM »

Is there any chance he’s just saying that to try and rebuild the shattered confidence of the lad jay in case his behind the scenes hunt for a decent keeper doesn’t pay off. Phil publicly saying he’s not good enough and we need to find a new keeper would t help Ollie or our negotiating position?

I think I’m clutching at straws!

I sincerely hope you're right, and I suppose that would make sense.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2023, 11:40:21 AM »

I don't think Ollie is a bad keeper; but any other player would get respite. Dinanga, Osborne, Hulme, Linney if mistakes are made.

Time for Phil to perform a duty of care; bring in a 2nd GK and give Ollie the support he needs. Coming from Welsh Champions behind a top-quality defence,  he's being challenged for the first time in his adult career.

100% behind this sensible post.  My mind is cast back to Joe Corrigan in the early 1970s at City.  The boo boys were rewarded with the signing of Keith MacRae from Motherwell in 1973/74 who immediately took Joe's place in the first team.  MacRae cost City £100,000 which was a tidy sum at the time.

Suffice to say that Joe had been retained and developed behind the scenes and it was he, not MacRae, following his  return to the first team, who went on to become a City legend.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2023, 01:05:19 PM »

100% behind this sensible post.  My mind is cast back to Joe Corrigan in the early 1970s at City.  The boo boys were rewarded with the signing of Keith MacRae from Motherwell in 1973/74 who immediately took Joe's place in the first team.  MacRae cost City £100,000 which was a tidy sum at the time.

Suffice to say that Joe had been retained and developed behind the scenes and it was he, not MacRae, following his  return to the first team, who went on to become a City legend.
I agree with both these views . Bring in a keeper with big match experience for the now and allow Ollie to develop into the player we believe he can become but away from the heated spotlight he is under at the moment.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2023, 01:34:20 PM »

Yes. I agree with the general consensus that he's in need of good coaching and not getting rid of.
With a big, experienced keeper to learn from he could develop into a real talent for us.
Putting him in the firing line though is not going to achieve that.
I'm absolutely positive that Parky knows all this and will deal with the situation appropriately. He knows, as we do, that the first half dozen matches (especially) could well decide the path we end up taking this season.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2023, 09:01:21 PM »

A bit off topic but Joe Corrigan was my absolute hero as a lad. I used to watch city a fair bit all those decades ago and he was an excellent keeper. Thanks for that bit of info. He was coaching until a dozen or so years ago.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2023, 10:06:00 PM »

I have moved my latest post continuing on the theme of Ollie and Joe Corrigan over to the 'Goalkeeper' thread.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stockport County match thread