PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stockport County match thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Stockport County match thread  (Read 9314 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Stockport County match thread
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2023, 07:17:07 PM »

We still have time.
A quality CM is needed. Joey Jones and Marriott isn't enough.
RB is concern.
We must act on signing a keeper before the season starts. It is now becoming cruel on the lad. For his own mental health he needs to learn from a capable number 1.
GK's can win, or lose you a load of points over the season.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2023, 07:29:28 PM »

I was quite pleased with what I saw in the first half and thought we deserved our half time lead.
Obviously with all the changes at half time I wasn’t too worried or surprised that Stockport went on to win.

CCC Kossy and Linney were good and the central defenders looked good.

What did, and has been worrying me is that the lad Byrne is blatantly not good enough, and neither is Gould.

On my way out after the final whistle I did speak to our Joint Chairman and said to him, if we don’t invest in another goalkeeper then we will struggle this coming season.

I think that I am in the majority of Alty fans who think this.
I have no Gripe with Ollie or his family, I just think that if this club is really serious about an upward progression then funds must be made available before we meet Dagenham & Redbridge on the 5th August.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2023, 07:35:42 PM »

I was quite pleased with what I saw in the first half and thought we deserved our half time lead.
Obviously with all the changes at half time I wasn’t too worried or surprised that Stockport went on to win.

What did, and has been worrying me is that the lad Byrne is blatantly not good enough, and neither is Gould.

On my way out after the final whistle I did speak to our Joint Chairman and said to him, if we don’t invest in another goalkeeper then we will struggle this coming season.

I have no Gripe with Ollie or his family, I just think that if this club is really serious about an upward progression then funds must be made available before we meet Dagenham & Redbridge on the 5th August.

Correct. It is nothing personal.
This season could fizzle out before it starts, unless we solve the matter.
This includes CM aswell, unless we can have Maxi on loan.
Two of the most important positions are currently weak.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2023, 07:42:26 PM »

I think you will find that we cannot use any MUFC players for loan purposes until the New Year

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2023, 07:44:42 PM »

I think you will find that we cannot use any MUFC players for loan purposes until the New Year

Thank you.

Never knew that. Then we need to sign another CM.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2023, 07:52:16 PM »

It's a tough one this because I'd imagine J Jones and Isaac would be first choice cm with both CCC and Kossy able to do 10. Effectively, another CM would be a squad player.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2023, 08:23:50 PM »

It's a tough one this because I'd imagine J Jones and Isaac would be first choice cm with both CCC and Kossy able to do 10. Effectively, another CM would be a squad player.

I agree but do we all think Joey Jones is going to perfom every week....
Lundstram had massive boots.
I would argue we need to have 3 quality CMs and I think all would get minutes. Osborne can't be our main back up.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2023, 08:38:21 PM »

Sadly neither Ollie nor Osborne should be anywhere near the team.
I'm aware some might see this level of criticism as a bad thing (JH certainly did!) but it all stems from genuine concern.
As said elsewhere, failure to act promptly could be a massive error of judgement.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2023, 09:05:18 AM »

I agree but do we all think Joey Jones is going to perfom every week....
Lundstram had massive boots.
I would argue we need to have 3 quality CMs and I think all would get minutes. Osborne can't be our main back up.

I agree, but PP is unlikely to remove Osborne from the squad so I just can't see another midfielder joining.

I think the priority for PP will remain a LW (should there be any additions) and of course now he may be forced to pursue a new keeper. Moving forward, RB may become an issue from what I have seen.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2023, 09:27:17 AM »

I had missed that Tyrer moved to Chesterfield. Arguably the final piece of the jigsaw for them. There's still lots of trialling goalkeepers I would have thought, plus plenty of clubs further up the pyramid that are looking to send their promising young goalkeepers out on loan.

The right back situation is beyond bizarre. We finished the season with two capable right backs, and would have been happy enough to see either start the season with us. The way we acted made us think we had a firm target in place; now it appears that wasn't the case. If Donawa is an auxilliary full back / winger then he's miles better than our last one, Brad Jackson, on a technical level. But can he defend well enough? You could argue Joel Senior wasn't the strongest on the back foot, so let's wait and see. I do like Donawa.

We do need another central midfielder but I agree I don't think the management will feel that there's room for another one. We should be looking at moving Osbrone on to create room, or we should be taking on a young central midfielder like Dylan Boyle who I've banged on about plenty enough.

Left wing is interesting because I'm hoping that's where Dior Angus is currently being considered. Matty Kosylo and CCC can also play out on that side too. We shouldn't be rotating our centre forward.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 09:29:15 AM by MarpleAlty »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2023, 10:07:15 AM »

A much more articulate expression of my view! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2023, 09:34:58 PM »

Listening to Phil’s post match summing up I’m left with the opinion that he will stick with Ollie Byrne and he is confident that Ollie will work his way through it.

I hope you are right Phil because if you are wrong we could be in Big trouble come mid September.

From what I saw in the first half on Saturday, and a couple of the lads who played in the second half, we have the basis of a good team to make a decent fist of this season, but everyone will need to be on top of their game.

I would love Ollie to make me eat my words…

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2023, 09:54:22 PM »

Ollie couldn't make you eat your supper.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2023, 11:41:45 PM »

The interview is a little scary. We can't just back the lad and hope for the best. Something really needs fixing and it doesn't sound like Phil agrees.

TT got time in a much lower standard league to come good, this is not the same thing sadly.

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2023, 07:28:10 AM »

Is there any chance he’s just saying that to try and rebuild the shattered confidence of the lad jay in case his behind the scenes hunt for a decent keeper doesn’t pay off. Phil publicly saying he’s not good enough and we need to find a new keeper would t help Ollie or our negotiating position?

I think I’m clutching at straws!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stockport County match thread