PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 FCUM match thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: FCUM match thread  (Read 8613 times)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: FCUM match thread
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2023, 01:50:21 AM »

We've had successful pre-seasons in terms of results and then gone 10 games without winning at the beginning of a campaign before. This result and performance means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. Additionally, as Phil says, if there's a new pre season system we're following then I'd prefer that we're taking action to mitigate our customary slow starts to seasons at the expense of a few poor performances in friendlies.

Very good post.
Come on Alty!

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2023, 08:43:04 AM »

We've had successful pre-seasons in terms of results and then gone 10 games without winning at the beginning of a campaign before. This result and performance means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. Additionally, as Phil says, if there's a new pre season system we're following then I'd prefer that we're taking action to mitigate our customary slow starts to seasons at the expense of a few poor performances in friendlies.

Very good post.

Agreed, yes - better for things to go wrong now so we can do something about them.

That said, I think we're all still very nervous about whether the management team are going to act on certain things that are clearly going to cost us.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2023, 10:08:19 AM »

ive long said that preseason results are not an indicator of proper match form, but tuesday looked particularly inept, even from one or two seasoned players we are hoping for big things from. i supposed in a way being full time takes the pressure off the preseason games for building overall fitness, but i would like to see linney slotting away some of his chances asap please.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2023, 01:19:42 PM »

ive long said that preseason results are not an indicator of proper match form, but tuesday looked particularly inept, even from one or two seasoned players we are hoping for big things from. i supposed in a way being full time takes the pressure off the preseason games for building overall fitness, but i would like to see linney slotting away some of his chances asap please.

For me, Regan Linney needs to be playing up top for 90 minutes every game - I don't think being rotated with Joe Hugill at the end of last season did him - or us - any favours whatsoever.

I distinctly remember it took us a while to start Damian Reeves every game, and it possibly contributed to our relegation (amongst other things) in that first season he was with us.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2023, 09:27:14 PM »

I never took too much notice of pre seasons in my youth but when I have concentrated I can safely say that when we’ve looked good in pre season we’ve done ok and vice versa

Anyone who says otherwise is talking bollocks or kidding themselves 👍

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2023, 09:55:36 AM »

I never took too much notice of pre seasons in my youth but when I have concentrated I can safely say that when we’ve looked good in pre season we’ve done ok and vice versa

Anyone who says otherwise is talking bollocks or kidding themselves 👍

I know what you mean. I don't take much notice of pre season.
Having said that, I can't remember when we had a great one. Perhaps the next few friendlies, if a team more like our strongest is fielded, will give us a better idea?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 FCUM match thread