PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Whose for the drop?
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Whose for the drop?  (Read 4727 times)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Whose for the drop?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2023, 08:58:50 AM »

It wouldn't surprise me to see either Rochdale or Hartlepool in the relegation mix.

Hartlepool won’t be, Askey really knows the division & what it takes. Rochdale on the other hand…

Met a couple of Hartlepool fans in work the other day; they were not confident with their manager having, apparently, brought quite a few players down with him from Scotland.

Wasn't his last job at York?

That's what I thought. Maybe he just has contacts or links.
Either way, I was surprised about their pessimism.

I think crossed wires. Hartlepool last summer appointed Paul Hartley who came down from Cove Rangers & was of course a well known name North of the border. I know he bought loads of Scottish players down with him but didn’t last long before getting sacked in the autumn with Pools near the bottom of L2. Sure it wasn’t a reference to him?!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2023, 09:39:44 AM »

That's probably it 👍
As has been said elsewhere though, Askey knows this league and should do a decent job for them. Was surprised when he left York after bringing them up actually.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2023, 10:55:59 AM »

Its always hard to predict who will do what at this time of year.
My candidates most likely to be down there would be;
Oxford, Kiddy, Maidenhead, Rochdale
Not sure about Fylde, Ebbsfleet, Aldershot, Dagenham or Southend.
If we dont gel quickly I could see us flirting as well, but expect Wealdstone, Dorking and Hartlepool to do better than some think.

We will know more in a few weeks !
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 07:04:03 PM by PukkaPieman »

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2023, 12:14:26 PM »

Not sure about Fylde or Ebbsfleet or Southend.
If we dont gel quickly I could see us flirting as well, but expect Wealdstone, Dorking and Hartlepool to do better than some think.

Think Dorking will get found out; and it'll test the managers experience (or lack of it) to get them out of that rut. Whilst they may surprise the new comers, I would expect most club to understand how to beat them (us really included). That away game was a shambles.
It's all my fault.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2023, 01:58:53 PM »

I suppose people always start with the part-time teams by default - Dorking, Maidenhead, Wealdstone - but I'm sure they'll have the capacity to surprise like usual.

Rochdale will be OK - they just got rid of Jim Bentley far too late, their end-of-season form was OK, manager knows the team well, and most of them have stayed (Toby wasn't playing for most of that period either). Harvey Gilmour from Halifax is a tidy signing too.

Solihull seem to be in a mess, but apart from that most of the contenders still seem to be southern - the above plus maybe Aldershot - possibly Dagenham to slip back?

Ebbsfleet should probably do well, and Fylde will probably be OK - not sure about Kidderminster and Oxford.

Halifax still have plenty of quality in their ranks, so I'm surprised to see them included in so many people's suggestions.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2023, 01:59:56 PM »

Not sure about Fylde or Ebbsfleet or Southend.

Think Dorking will get found out; and it'll test the managers experience (or lack of it) to get them out of that rut. Whilst they may surprise the new comers, I would expect most club to understand how to beat them (us really included). That away game was a shambles.

You may be right about Dorking,.. but its wishful thinking as I really like him ! And they did improve a lot backend of last season.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2023, 03:17:39 PM »

I suppose people always start with the part-time teams by default - Dorking, Maidenhead, Wealdstone - but I'm sure they'll have the capacity to surprise like usual.

Rochdale will be OK - they just got rid of Jim Bentley far too late, their end-of-season form was OK, manager knows the team well, and most of them have stayed (Toby wasn't playing for most of that period either). Harvey Gilmour from Halifax is a tidy signing too.

Solihull seem to be in a mess, but apart from that most of the contenders still seem to be southern - the above plus maybe Aldershot - possibly Dagenham to slip back?

Ebbsfleet should probably do well, and Fylde will probably be OK - not sure about Kidderminster and Oxford.

Halifax still have plenty of quality in their ranks, so I'm surprised to see them included in so many people's suggestions.

Untill the last week of March they were going down. They beat Aldershot on a heavy pitch, then a pop shot on Saturday saw them in the final. Suddenly every player showed up.

Losing to us would have relegated them
It's all my fault.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Whose for the drop?