PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 New signings
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: New signings  (Read 8980 times)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: New signings
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2023, 10:38:32 PM »

I can’t profess to know too much about these players but having criticised all last summer for not signing adults I can’t complain too much now that has been rectified.

My gripe number two about too many loanees is reduced by these permanent signings also.

My third gripe about Colclough/Mullarkey fees not being reinvested in the squad has been put to bed with CCC signing. Can’t argue with a club record fee in that respect.

I think at this level you’re always one or two light just to have a bit of wriggle room rather than a squad packed with depth. But I think there is more competition for places which is a good thing. James Jones and Lewis Baines we’re ok but we conceded a lot of goals in the end. A bit of competition there, particularly for Baines is a good thing.

I think Byrne needed taking out of the firing line at times as well but getting another gk isn’t so easy.

Maybe the signing of Joey Jones as an actual defensive midfielder rather than Osbourne trying to shore things up may make a difference there.

I think the key aim first up is to hit the ground running this time. We left a lot of points out there for various reasons in august and September and had to play catch up for a fair whiles

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2023, 10:54:05 PM »

With the squad almost up to strength, gives us a chance to use the friendlies for fine tuning rather than trawling through trialists.
Hopefully this might give us a better chance to hit the ground running in August. 🤞
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2023, 10:44:34 AM »

I hope we do still use the loan market - but for a bit extra rather than catch-up. I don't mind us being a shop window for a League 2 winger to show his talent for 3 months in Feb-April if it earns us 10 extra points.

It's all my fault.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2023, 11:32:03 AM »

Now I am worried because it all looks and seems to fit together too very nicely.  All of the new signings have appropriate experience and each seems to bring a quality to the team that we have been missing and looking for.  I am pleased that we have taken these lads on properly as relying on loaners can be a bit hit and miss.  I am sure that we will continue to use loan players in order to strengthen areas that need it and it would be fantastic if Man.Utd. could let us have Maxi for a while again.  I agree with MarpleAlty that Dylan Boyle would be a good acquisition at this juncture if there are a few coppers left in the pot.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2023, 03:18:28 PM »

I’m pleased with the fact PP has gone for experience. It’s ok saying the kids are ones for the future but most the kids we had have now been moved on. Our budget doesn’t really allow for that although it is an honourable idea.

I think Parky has gone down the Experience route to avoid a slow start to the season,

Interesting times at Moss Lane.

Looking fwd to it all.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2023, 04:41:11 PM »

I agree, interesting post. Looking forward to seeing the difference between this and last season, hopefully hit the ground running and may surprise a few teams too.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2023, 12:44:03 PM »

Think we are done now and ready with our squad for friendlies to start, bring it all on.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2023, 03:37:33 PM »

I wonder what other teams think of the signings we have made.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2023, 06:00:15 PM »

Compared to most, I think I'm still on the cautiously optimistic side.

It's all well and good signing specific players for specific jobs... but they still have to be quite good at football. United signed Weghorst to fulfil a specific job, and it just turned out he was pretty rubbish in general.

At this level you can't avoid having one or two complete flops, and I'm afraid this coming season will be no different.

The last time we recruited at volume, en masse... it was Neil Young at the start of THAT season. It might be a ridiculous comparison point, but I remember many praising him getting business done early and knowing his targets.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2023, 06:18:37 PM »

I guess you're just a glass half empty kind of bloke, Marple!
I kind of agree with you though in that I'm not expecting ALL of them to be brilliant for us.
I'm hoping that the vast majority of them are though 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2023, 06:37:10 PM »

The problem again is player turnover and for that reason I expect yet another slow start to the season. Having said that, the calibre of player we have signed has without a shadow of a doubt strengthened us.

I'd like to see us bringing a left winger to the club, but I realise that this is highly unlikely now given our recruitment to date. Also, as ONeedham stated, there is a worrying lack of depth in our midfield. Oyedele anyone?

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2023, 08:41:13 PM »

I expect to see Oyedele playing in a div 1 team at least this coming season

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2023, 08:42:59 PM »

I would have liked to see a keeper signed before the season starts.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2023, 09:10:36 PM »

It's all well and good signing specific players for specific jobs... but they still have to be quite good at football. United signed Weghorst to fulfil a specific job, and it just turned out he was pretty rubbish in general.

At this level you can't avoid having one or two complete flops, and I'm afraid this coming season will be no different.

The last time we recruited at volume, en masse... it was Neil Young at the start of THAT season. It might be a ridiculous comparison point, but I remember many praising him getting business done early and knowing his targets.

How manu of those players had played CN football. And how many could buy a pint in USA.

Last season recruitment was akin to NY
It's all my fault.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2023, 11:17:22 PM »

How manu of those players had played CN football. And how many could buy a pint in USA.

Last season recruitment was akin to NY

Totally agree. We’ve signed a lot of new players but they now have a full (full time) pre season to mold in. The NY debacle was a totally different scenario with a brand new manager coming off the back of a relegation season & in a part time environment. I think our recruitment if National League Twitter is anything to go by has been noted by other fans. We’re widely being bandied about as play off dark horses, even if the odds don’t yet reflect that. I’m optimistic, we’ve signed grown men who know this level already & now they have 6 weeks to train to hit the ground running.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 New signings