PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Retained
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Retained  (Read 6344 times)

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Retained
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2023, 04:32:11 PM »

Voted best keeper at the 74 World Cup too 👍

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2023, 11:37:06 PM »

On the keeper front TT wasnt great in his first season but then improved massiveley .Perhaps the same will happen with Byrne .

It's a valid point. TT was a scapegoat on the forum on a regular basis at one point. That said, if the right player becomes available I'd like to think we'd explore it.

I think a defensive issue we had was the keeper's comminication and domination of the area: not sure the defenders had the confidence in Byrne on crosses and corners etc.

This can be remedied with training as long as Byrne and Gould have this adaptability.

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2023, 08:18:31 AM »

I've got a feeling that Byrne will become good, he has the skills, just an upgrade in confidence and a little more aggression to be found during the pre-season.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2023, 09:24:06 AM »

I've got a feeling that Byrne will become good, he has the skills, just an upgrade in confidence and a little more aggression to be found during the pre-season.

I agree with this.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2023, 11:06:51 AM »

No doubt on the first part, He does the hard part of being a GK extremely well naturally. The weaknesses in his game are when there is more than a split second to think about it and shepherding his back line. Those can be taught, just not by a 20 something GK coach.

There is no way however you just come good at this over a preseason. We need an old head that can show him for a season as number 1, followed by a couple as number 2 as the career comes to a close, Drench came in to do this role a few years ago with TT.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2023, 11:26:11 AM »

No doubt on the first part, He does the hard part of being a GK extremely well naturally. The weaknesses in his game are when there is more than a split second to think about it and shepherding his back line. Those can be taught, just not by a 20 something GK coach.

There is no way however you just come good at this over a preseason. We need an old head that can show him for a season as number 1, followed by a couple as number 2 as the career comes to a close, Drench came in to do this role a few years ago with TT.

Very good idea. Given Parky's obvious commitment to Ollie, you'd like to think that something like this was in his mind.
The hard part (obviously) is to find a suitable candidate. Like you say, someone towards the end of their career with lots of presence and experience, and perhaps wants to move into coaching and sees this as a move in that direction.
Like you say, essential but won't come cheap though.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2023, 01:27:33 PM »

The thing is, we can't afford to wait for Ollie to come good. We can't have another start to the season as slow as the one we've just had, we won't get away with it again.

I reckon the solution might be to loan him out till Christmas to the NLN; we know Chester need a goalkeeper and I'm sure lots of other clubs do too. Get another keeper in on loan, and tell him he's got the number 1 jersey when he gets back - provided, of course, that he does well.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2023, 01:33:37 PM »

The thing is, we can't afford to wait for Ollie to come good. We can't have another start to the season as slow as the one we've just had, we won't get away with it again.

I reckon the solution might be to loan him out till Christmas to the NLN; we know Chester need a goalkeeper and I'm sure lots of other clubs do too. Get another keeper in on loan, and tell him he's got the number 1 jersey when he gets back - provided, of course, that he does well.

Ben Killip left Hartlepool today. Only seen him once or twice and he's done enough to stick in my mind. He's not going up the leagues in my view.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Retained