PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 REALISTIC transfer targets
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: REALISTIC transfer targets  (Read 17577 times)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: REALISTIC transfer targets
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2023, 04:14:59 PM »

I'm sure I've said this before (I think you have too) but it is a critical, if not crucial, point and as such very very worth repeating.

One point I feel I must add is that nothing takes pressure off a defence like a threatening attack for oppositions to be wary of. Thus three quality forwards are must-haves.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2023, 04:17:24 PM »

Again, agree with you both, and hopefully this summer we can strike the balance between cracking open the war chest and doing it on the cheap.

We must continue to be astute and smart in what we do, but we do also need to acknowledge that we played our best football with players who are no longer at the club: Colclough, Newby, Conn-Clarke, Jennings, Oyedele, Mullarkey specifically. Mooney, Senior and Hancock last season, three players who are still yet to be replaced permanently.

Serious money needs to be spent this summer if we want to replace them and progress - not in every signing, and we've shown we can really pick a player with the superb acquisitions of Marriott, Senior, Mullarkey, Linney, Lundstram etc - but we can't spend the first few months of the season looking at the likes of Sami and Kaja on a free again. Not at this level.

For every Conn-Clarke there's a Cashman, every Newby a Gyasi, and if we end up in that situation next season we can't guarantee that it's going to click as it did this time around. We got away with it this season because we got 5 months out of Ryan and were lucky to put together that RC-CCC-Newby-Jennings side for a good run. If Maxi Oyedele wasn't up to it in the second half of the season, we may well have been dragged into the scrap.

It's evident at Southampton, who have rebuilt numerous times in the Premier League after losing their better players (Van Dijk, Shaw, Mane, Wanyama, Forster, Clyne, Alderweireld, Lallana, Schneirderlin, Lovren...) that time finally runs out on clubs that aren't able to retain and attract.

There are similarities there in who we've lost in the past couple of seasons and we simply have to replace the quality like-for-like (Colclough aside, that's pretty much impossible) or we could be in serious trouble next season. We're walking a tightrope.

It sounds more negative than it is, I'm excited, and I know we're progressing. It's a huge summer ahead and I've full confidence in what we're doing but it really is a mammoth task and our most important window since 2017/18. I know Rob, Phil, Neil, Cathal and others will be working tirelessly.

Sorry this has turned into an overdue end-of-season retrospective (wasn't the plan when I started my dinner break!) but that's just where I think we're at!

Up the Alty.
Yes spot on and very much a reality check and despite the great work from all concerned it is where we are .  The noises coming out of the club also lead us to believe we are already punching above our weight , if this is truly the case we really do need serious financial investment forthcoming to continue making forward steps on the field , and the same applies to the stadium issues of which we are all aware . In the absence of any 'money spinning' cup runs and/or tie (28 years and counting) , i really do hope we can achieve this to be able to at least compete on a more level playing field .

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2023, 05:04:25 PM »

Again, agree with you both, and hopefully this summer we can strike the balance between cracking open the war chest and doing it on the cheap.

We must continue to be astute and smart in what we do, but we do also need to acknowledge that we played our best football with players who are no longer at the club: Colclough, Newby, Conn-Clarke, Jennings, Oyedele, Mullarkey specifically. Mooney, Senior and Hancock last season, three players who are still yet to be replaced permanently.

Serious money needs to be spent this summer if we want to replace them and progress - not in every signing, and we've shown we can really pick a player with the superb acquisitions of Marriott, Senior, Mullarkey, Linney, Lundstram etc - but we can't spend the first few months of the season looking at the likes of Sami and Kaja on a free again. Not at this level.

For every Conn-Clarke there's a Cashman, every Newby a Gyasi, and if we end up in that situation next season we can't guarantee that it's going to click as it did this time around. We got away with it this season because we got 5 months out of Ryan and were lucky to put together that RC-CCC-Newby-Jennings side for a good run. If Maxi Oyedele wasn't up to it in the second half of the season, we may well have been dragged into the scrap.

It's evident at Southampton, who have rebuilt numerous times in the Premier League after losing their better players (Van Dijk, Shaw, Mane, Wanyama, Forster, Clyne, Alderweireld, Lallana, Schneirderlin, Lovren...) that time finally runs out on clubs that aren't able to retain and attract.

There are similarities there in who we've lost in the past couple of seasons and we simply have to replace the quality like-for-like (Colclough aside, that's pretty much impossible) or we could be in serious trouble next season. We're walking a tightrope.

It sounds more negative than it is, I'm excited, and I know we're progressing. It's a huge summer ahead and I've full confidence in what we're doing but it really is a mammoth task and our most important window since 2017/18. I know Rob, Phil, Neil, Cathal and others will be working tirelessly.

Sorry this has turned into an overdue end-of-season retrospective (wasn't the plan when I started my dinner break!) but that's just where I think we're at!

Up the Alty.

Not the main point clearly but Cathal's had a couple of mentions on here lately - have I missed the something? I thought he'd left the board of directors and was no longer involved?

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2023, 05:48:03 PM »

I'm sure I've said this before (I think you have too) but it is a critical, if not crucial, point and as such very very worth repeating.

One point I feel I must add is that nothing takes pressure off a defence like a threatening attack for oppositions to be wary of. Thus three quality forwards are must-haves.

Yep, I wasn't worried about our back 4 - even against Wrexham - when we had a top forward line.
It's all my fault.

andrewflynn

« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2023, 06:26:35 PM »

Not the main point clearly but Cathal's had a couple of mentions on here lately - have I missed the something? I thought he'd left the board of directors and was no longer involved?

A low key return to the footballing side. Not on the board.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2023, 08:06:14 PM »

If we need someone like Chris Conn-Clarke, we should go and batter on Fleetwood's door. Last week he spent the full 90 minutes + on Waterford's bench. Tonight he hasn't made the match day squad. He is wasting his time in Ireland,and he surely can't be happy about it.

Macsporran

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2023, 09:48:01 PM »

There’s been some chatter around Sam Roscoe. Ex Aberdeen, Ayr United and Linfield last season. A tall, commanding ball playing Centre Half by all accounts. He’s a North West lad, and has just left Linfield “ to return to England to be closer to his family “.

He is a cousin of Ollie Byrne.

Coincidence?

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2023, 10:10:51 PM »

A low key return to the footballing side. Not on the board.

Very good news. I wonder if he’s still involved at Brightlingsea? He was appointed DofF there not long ago.

andrewflynn

« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2023, 10:39:24 PM »

There’s been some chatter around Sam Roscoe. Ex Aberdeen, Ayr United and Linfield last season. A tall, commanding ball playing Centre Half by all accounts. He’s a North West lad, and has just left Linfield “ to return to England to be closer to his family “.

He is a cousin of Ollie Byrne.

Coincidence?

Yes. Not one to get excited about.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2023, 10:34:58 AM »

Kieran Glynn left Scarborough to go full time at an unnamed conference club
Bernard Taylors barmy army

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2023, 01:20:39 PM »

Regan Booty confirmed released from Maidstone.

Apparently Oldham and Chesterfield are interested - but he knows Isaac Marriott from Huddersfield / Bradford PA, would be ambitious but more realistic than Nick Haughton imo.

ClaphamAlty

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2023, 05:52:38 PM »

Harrogate have released their retained/released list.

MWH and KF both retained.

https://www.harrogatetownafc.com/news-media/news/end-of-season-retained-list-announced-(1)/

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2023, 06:06:09 PM »

Harrogate have released their retained/released list.

MWH and KF both retained.

https://www.harrogatetownafc.com/news-media/news/end-of-season-retained-list-announced-(1)/

Interesting, I thought they'd be candidates to be released so I assume they might still be under contract for next season.

I've edited the top of the thread with some additional names because I'm bored and play far too much Football Manager.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2023, 06:32:15 PM »

I spoke to Kyle at the Runcorn game and he said that he had another year on his contract

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2023, 07:24:47 PM »

I spoke to Kyle at the Runcorn game and he said that he had another year on his contract

In which case Harrogate might look to loan him out again.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 REALISTIC transfer targets