PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Next season's squad
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Next season's squad  (Read 6394 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Controversial
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2023, 09:15:20 PM »

I don't expect that many folk will agree with this, however...
I think that going full-time was a mistake that could cost us dearly (in more ways than one).  We were sold the full-time ideal as the only way that we could continue to foster thoughts of making it to the cherished land of league football and I, for one, succumbed to the arguments in favour of this.  If I had known that we were destined to have a bottom 4 National League budget with no significant inward investment (apart from the Seedrs equity provided by the Club's supporters) I would have not been so happy.  Why couldn't we of remained a hybrid club that welcomed the best part-time players and a few carefully chosen full-timers (i.e. Colclough) supported by loanees the likes of Maxi. We lost the Mag7 because of the move to full time and, you know, I am certain that had we retained those players and had the same luck of the draw, as we did, in the FA Trophy I have no doubts that we would have made it to Wembley and more than likely won the competition.

We do need to move on. I agree, but, I think that before we embark upon a financially risky venture to gain Football League status we should bear in mind that our crumbling 'Stadium' is becoming an embarrassment.  Are we going to do anything about in preparation to joining EFL2 or are we just going to see how we get on and patch it up from time to time?  Not good enough methinks!

I agree. Unless we can increase the playing budget we could find ourselves not being able to attract enough quality for a playoff challenge.
Being part-time, allowed us to attract the best part time players. Some, who were planning their career after football, but still decent.
Now we pay full time in the bottom 4 budgets. Top players in the prime will not be coming to us. This is why I think we have a very young squad, which I am not against.
Need to keep finding gems like Marriott and Linney. I think we need to be finding another decent head scout, I think Clegg was a loss.
I enjoy listening to Rob Esteva in interviews, but he was really excited about Gysai and Burgess as loans and both were awful.
Need a scout who can attend more games and not just go off match stats.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 09:22:10 PM by oneedham »

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Next season's squad
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2023, 10:59:45 PM »

The whole Gyasi thing was and remains to this day a complete mystery.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2023, 05:13:46 AM »

As long as we stay in this league, it's fine by me.
As you say part time in this league is a recipe for relegation.
We've had a real wake up call but we're still here. I think we all got a bit carried away and promotion is probably quite a few years away. I can live with that. I've waited almost sixty years (and we came close when Rochdale pipped us) so I'm happy if we can stabilise and steadily improve our chances year on year from now on.
I just can't cope with another relegation.

Too right. They should have kept the third division North for longer - quite telling that they kept voting out Northern clubs after 1958 and electing Southern/Midland clubs (admittedtly they elected Wigan (eventually) but realistically they should have got in years before). There should have been three down from  div. 3n (and  3 more from 3s) with the winners of the leading leagues outside the league promoted automatically  - which in 1966 would have been Altrincham! If the FL could be trusted to let in four teams, I might suggest that step one should be semi-national, though admittedly step 2 is much stronger now than when there were three leagues below the Conference . Of course this could be largely due to play-offs

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2023, 06:14:13 PM »

No idea of any palyers contract status so I assuming it's a clean sheet.

Sign E. Jones, J. Jones, Baines, Perritt, Cooper, Welsh-Hayes, Marriott, Lundstram, Kosylo, Hulme, Linney, Goodson. Plus all the youngsters out on loan.

Unsure on Byrne.

Bin off Osbourne, Pringle, Gould, Jackson, Barrows, Kaja, Ferguson

Full time and proud of it

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2023, 06:23:09 PM »

Sign E. Jones, J. Jones, Baines, Perritt, Cooper, Welsh-Hayes, Marriott, Lundstram, Kosylo, Hulme, Linney, Goodson. Plus all the youngsters out on loan.

Unsure on Byrne.

Agree with that in general. Would keep Byrne as back up to (and to learn from) an experienced keeper who can marshal the defence and give it some confidence.

PS. This clearly means we absolutely need at least four or five top signings. A very big ask, but pretty essential.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 06:55:27 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2023, 06:53:11 PM »

Unsure on Byrne.

Agreed although I think Cooper may go and I think Osbourne and Byrne will stay . Isn't Marriott is contracted for next season ?but no idea on the others. I imagine we will sign at least six or seven as well as those expected to stay.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 06:54:53 PM by Timperley The Best »

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2023, 06:56:44 PM »

Fair assessment, with the addition of Byrne - there will be plenty coming along to say 'bin them all apart from Lundstram and start again' etc etc - but I'm going to try to ignore those people and be less reactionary.

I think Jordan in particular has proven in the past few weeks that he still has an important role to play - on and off the pitch - I was sceptical but I'm pleased he's proven my doubts wrong. I'd definitely retain him.

As for Osborne, I reckon the management will retain him but I'm confident we would be better served freeing up the wage given there will be plenty of decent central midfield options on the market this summer.

Shame about Ferguson but if we retain Jones / Cooper (which I think we should), we should definitely try and sign another solid centre back for the right hand berth.

The rest I would be truly shocked to see here next year.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2023, 07:40:31 PM »

Not sure Jordan is a player to keep if we are to progress...yes cannot fault comittment to Alty or passion or effort....but is it five goals ?....Injuries and being played out of position notr helped... but we got to have better in this dog eat dog league
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2023, 10:40:37 PM »

While there can be no question about Jordan's effort and dedication to the cause, we cannot forget that he is a very high earner at the club and his goal return has not been impressive. I expect him to stay but can't help but think that it might be time for a change.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Next season's squad