PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Next season's squad
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Next season's squad  (Read 6392 times)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Next season's squad
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2023, 09:52:07 AM »

Far to reliant on loans. Without a doubt they kept us up, we need to turn quality loans like ccc and newby into permanent deals. The next big announcement has to be financial and designed to make those deals happen.

That's if the money is available .surely 100k plus was  received for Colclough and Mullkey

It’s going to take a fair bit more than 100k to get better players on a contract and sustain the wage bill

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2023, 10:35:53 AM »

Far to reliant on loans. Without a doubt they kept us up, we need to turn quality loans like ccc and newby into permanent deals. The next big announcement has to be financial and designed to make those deals happen.

That's if the money is available .surely 100k plus was  received for Colclough and Mullkey

Not sure if we got 100k, we only receive 50k for Colclough.
Not sure about Malarkey.
10k went on Linney.

Dinanga for Linney i imagine was net £0.

I reckon we cleared 75k between those other two. 600k in seeders. I'd be disappointed as an invetsor to ask where my cash has gone
It's all my fault.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2023, 10:43:46 AM »

£100k is chicken feed in this league. You need millions to compete at the very top.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2023, 10:50:07 AM »

£100k is chicken feed in this league. You need millions to compete at the very top.

It bought out best 2 players (At the time)....
It's all my fault.

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2023, 12:19:40 PM »

Ive been underwhelmed with Kyle Ferguson. He adds strength and height which in a lot of games is great, but his distribution is poor and that in a Parky team is a problem. I think we look best with a James Jones / Lewis Baines partnership.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2023, 12:24:48 PM »

I thought James Jones' distribution was appalling last night. I really think that it's time to lose both him and Ferguson.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2023, 12:27:57 PM »

Ive been underwhelmed with Kyle Ferguson. He adds strength and height which in a lot of games is great, but his distribution is poor and that in a Parky team is a problem. I think we look best with a James Jones / Lewis Baines partnership.

He's a much better wrestler than a footballer.

PS. Not meant sarcastically or humorously!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

andrewflynn

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2023, 12:45:54 PM »

I'll get around to posting something more considered after tomorrow's game but as far as I'm concerned every position in the XI is now up for grabs and fair game. None of them have done enough to go into next season being assured of their position in the starting line-up, perhaps with the exception of Josh Lundstram. To start 2023/24 under the impression that our 'core' is strong enough would be a gamble, unfortunately, the 'goals against' speaks for itself.

We need some stiff competition to come in on a permanent basis to shake things up and inject some life into a squad that looks physically tired and mentally done.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2023, 01:36:43 PM »

I'll get around to posting something more considered after tomorrow's game but as far as I'm concerned every position in the XI is now up for grabs and fair game. None of them have done enough to go into next season being assured of their position in the starting line-up, perhaps with the exception of Josh Lundstram. To start 2023/24 under the impression that our 'core' is strong enough would be a gamble, unfortunately, the 'goals against' speaks for itself.

We need some stiff competition to come in on a permanent basis to shake things up and inject some life into a squad that looks physically tired and mentally done.

I actually would agree, but add Marriot; he's had some underwhelming moments in the last few weeks, but his return sparked our upheal and alongside Maxi was good enough for a PO team.
It's all my fault.

andrewflynn

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2023, 01:55:30 PM »

I actually would agree, but add Marriot; he's had some underwhelming moments in the last few weeks, but his return sparked our upheal and alongside Maxi was good enough for a PO team.

It's a weird one because Marriott and Lundstram are obviously both good players (Lundstram excellent) and bring huge qualities to the team, but the fact of the matter is we've been horrific defensively and you've got to be asking questions of your midfield two as part of that diagnosis. It's not all on the back four and keeper.

I don't think they're the problem, to be clear, but ruthlessly I'd say that they're all fair game to be challenged with squad competition in the summer if the right players become available.

Much the same as when we were promoted from the Northern Premier League and added Williams over Harrop and Richman, and then Smith over Williams - we've got to keep progressing and asking questions, even of the players we feel are our better ones. Particularly as competition breeds form (look at Hulme post-Linney) and we can't afford complacency with our core players knowing they're a guaranteed start every week.

To be fair, we shouldn't be talking about Lundstram as if he's a certainty to be here in the summer... We'll do well to keep him.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2023, 02:02:24 PM »

I get the point around midfield having to take their share of accountability, but - as we see across all levels of football including the Premier League - an unstable goalkeeper and above-average rotation across the backline only ever leads to an adverse outcome.

Sometimes the answer isn't wholesale change, but just finding that one 'tweak' that settles everything down. The obvious one for most of us would be a mature, commanding goalkeeper - one that's closer to 30 than 20 - that can instil confidence in everyone in front of him.

We definitely need to move for central midfielders if the right ones become available - particularly if it means we have better bench options than Osborne and Pringle. We brought in Toby as backup all that time ago, he waited for his chances, and well and truly took them when they were finally presented to him. It's a long season anyway, and everyone is going to be involved.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2023, 03:36:17 PM »

I get the point around midfield having to take their share of accountability, but - as we see across all levels of football including the Premier League - an unstable goalkeeper and above-average rotation across the backline only ever leads to an adverse outcome.

Sometimes the answer isn't wholesale change, but just finding that one 'tweak' that settles everything down. The obvious one for most of us would be a mature, commanding goalkeeper - one that's closer to 30 than 20 - that can instil confidence in everyone in front of him.

We definitely need to move for central midfielders if the right ones become available - particularly if it means we have better bench options than Osborne and Pringle. We brought in Toby as backup all that time ago, he waited for his chances, and well and truly took them when they were finally presented to him. It's a long season anyway, and everyone is going to be involved.

How many goals are scored from set-pieces? or unable to clear our lines. I don't remember maybe sides carving us open, but wide balls, swinging in, I came name 15 whilst writing this.

I would say that our lack of width doesn't protect our fullback.
It's all my fault.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Controversial
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2023, 04:43:43 PM »

I don't expect that many folk will agree with this, however...
I think that going full-time was a mistake that could cost us dearly (in more ways than one).  We were sold the full-time ideal as the only way that we could continue to foster thoughts of making it to the cherished land of league football and I, for one, succumbed to the arguments in favour of this.  If I had known that we were destined to have a bottom 4 National League budget with no significant inward investment (apart from the Seedrs equity provided by the Club's supporters) I would have not been so happy.  Why couldn't we of remained a hybrid club that welcomed the best part-time players and a few carefully chosen full-timers (i.e. Colclough) supported by loanees the likes of Maxi. We lost the Mag7 because of the move to full time and, you know, I am certain that had we retained those players and had the same luck of the draw, as we did, in the FA Trophy I have no doubts that we would have made it to Wembley and more than likely won the competition.

We do need to move on. I agree, but, I think that before we embark upon a financially risky venture to gain Football League status we should bear in mind that our crumbling 'Stadium' is becoming an embarrassment.  Are we going to do anything about in preparation to joining EFL2 or are we just going to see how we get on and patch it up from time to time?  Not good enough methinks!   

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2023, 08:42:11 PM »

I think we were absolutely correct to go full time, simply because part time is not a sustainable long term structure at this level. Remember we had the whole debt free, money in the bank, part time and proud of it mentality and we ended up at our lowest ebb following two relegations. Bear in mind you've got National League North becoming more and more full time too.

I think this season has been a massive reality check, but equally I'd love to know who actually thought going full time would suddenly propel us into L2. Lots of lessons to learn in what is a long term project.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2023, 08:55:05 PM »

As long as we stay in this league, it's fine by me.
As you say part time in this league is a recipe for relegation.
We've had a real wake up call but we're still here. I think we all got a bit carried away and promotion is probably quite a few years away. I can live with that. I've waited almost sixty years (and we came close when Rochdale pipped us) so I'm happy if we can stabilise and steadily improve our chances year on year from now on.
I just can't cope with another relegation.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Next season's squad