PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Post match interviews.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Post match interviews.  (Read 3672 times)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Post match interviews.
« on: April 22, 2023, 10:12:54 PM »

Question,
Do any of you forumites out there ever feel that the post match interviews with the manager go easy on him with regards to the questions asked.

To me, it seems a very non confrontational style of questioning

I’m not saying it should be a finger pointing exercise, but I sometime think a few more searching questions could be put to the manager

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Post match interviews.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 11:38:12 PM »

far too cosy, but the interviews are by club people, not reporters.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2023, 10:25:10 AM »

As someone who does these interviews fairly regularly, I'd be genuinely interested to know what sort of questions people feel should be being asked but aren't.

I would say that an interview with the manager for the club's website is always going to be non-confrontational - it would be totally unprofessional for it to be anything else - but we should still be able to ask searching questions (and I would argue we regularly do).

In the end, I think the tone of an interview is set more by the manager's overall response to the game than by the line of questioning. So perhaps people want him to be more critical of the team rather than us being more critical of him.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 11:15:12 AM by Leon »

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2023, 02:03:06 PM »

I don't want to see confrontational interviews, otherwise Parky would not do them. They are fine as they are and Phil always gives honest accurate answers. He is entitled to defend his team, and his answers are genuine. He sometimes points out situations and thoughts that we would not be aware of. I've often thought, hmmm, I did not even consider that.
Sometimes I feel the forum can do more harm than good, but I enjoy it's contrasting views and humour, and is my favourite of all the Alty sites.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2023, 06:26:48 PM »

I don't want to see any sort of confrontational type of interview style either nor aggressive questioning, but as a supporter there are things I would like to know more about if it is possible without letting opposition clubs gain an advantage.....examples

Defenders.....conceded far too many goals from set pieces this season....what are we doing about it ?

Upfront....missing to many.....same question

Wingers.....assume will be getting some ?

Keeper.....do we need better ?

I know Neil and Parky know what is needed and will be working on it, but I think as fans we need reassurance.....the team who completed yesterday's game would almost certainly see us finish bottom 3 next season
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

andrewflynn

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2023, 07:01:37 PM »

I agree with the original post but completely understand why the club’s official interviews take the route and tone that they do.

We’ve discussed this before if I remember rightly, I think when we were tonked by Stockport with Mullarkey in midfield and there wasn’t a question asked about the decision to play him there.

The club’s interviews aren’t going to be overly challenging. IMO it’s the club’s job to provide the more conversational, I dare say ‘lighter’ content that gives PP and players a platform to reflect pre/post game.

You’d expect those harder questions asked by external press but I wouldn’t hold your breath given lack of interest from the likes of Altrincham Today and the Messenger, who the club still have to produce their own articles for to get any consistent coverage from them. We’re still barely even on the MEN’s radar.

You’d never expect Erik ten Hag to get a post game grilling on MUTV, for example. But in the press conference he’d be fair game.

I think that’s more what we’re missing.

nimeta

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2023, 08:24:19 PM »

I think the balance is about right.

Nothing is worse when you see interviews where the interviewer is trying to trick a response that will cause some negative headlines. And PP is usually pretty contrite when the side underperformed...I don't recall him really trying to put a positive spin on a poor performance.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2023, 09:28:41 AM »

I think the interviews are fine, I note Parky's last one said he had a decision to make over Goodson for next season, is that sign him up or loan out? I'd be keeping, he has some good potential in my eyes.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2023, 09:32:19 AM »

I think the interviews are fine, I note Parky's last one said he had a decision to make over Goodson for next season, is that sign him up or loan out? I'd be keeping, he has some good potential in my eyes.

I'd like to see him spend early Pre-season with us, then head out (on a non-cup/trophy) loan to be a first-choice striker. He'll be unlikely to push Linney out of a starting spot from the off, and I think he could do a job at Chester/Curzon who seem to play a similar brand of football to us.
It's all my fault.

andrewflynn

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2023, 01:32:30 PM »

The longer format piece with Jake Moult ahead of his testimonial is absolutely first class by the way. Would love more of this with former players, managers, people around the club in that podcast style format.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2023, 01:33:41 PM »

I'd like to see him spend early Pre-season with us, then head out (on a non-cup/trophy) loan to be a first-choice striker. He'll be unlikely to push Linney out of a starting spot from the off, and I think he could do a job at Chester/Curzon who seem to play a similar brand of football to us.

We paid a small fee for him, so I'd be surprised if he's already out of contract - I suspect it's the more obvious answer of whether we keep him around the squad or send him back out on loan. I suspect that we'll view him as ready to play a big enough part once we've watched him over pre season.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2023, 01:48:45 PM »

The longer format piece with Jake Moult ahead of his testimonial is absolutely first class by the way. Would love more of this with former players, managers, people around the club in that podcast style format.

Spot on Andrew a very good interview, Jake is very honest and comes over really well.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2023, 02:13:24 PM »

I think he needs to be built up to start next season with Regan Linney.

Give him plenty of opportunity in the friendlies, the ball is then in his court. Three man frontline with Jordan too?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2023, 03:36:32 PM »

If he's playing as a goal scoring wide player, that would be great but we're still short in the winger dept.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2023, 05:05:29 PM »

If he's playing as a goal scoring wide player, that would be great but we're still short in the winger dept.

I’d be interested to see - and it will influence our summer signings - if Parky wants to try and continue with wingers or the (even more) possession based style we’ve come accustomed to since January.

Did he mean to go 3-4-3 or is it just how it happens that we seem to have better defenders than wingers?

What I’m getting at is that he’s always played with wingers but ones of the quality of Colclough and Mooney (and I guess you could argue JJ at a lower level). Is he going to say yes I can get quality enough wingers to continue like we always have or does he not think he can attract players of that level and will try and get sort of auxiliary forwards that can drift out like Hughill and Goodson (seems to be asking Linney to start doing it too)?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Post match interviews.