Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What was Freeman's best goal apart from Chester City?

Author Topic: What was Freeman's best goal apart from Chester City?  (Read 1823 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: April 21, 2023, 09:46:49 PM »

He certainly scored other thunderbolts (plus others which came close), and some say the Chester goal wasn't even his best that season. I can't for the life of me remember the games the others were in though.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: What was Freeman's best goal apart from Chester City?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 09:59:48 PM »

I remember a superb curling effort at the Chequers End, possibly against Bath City?

Come on Alty!

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 10:14:05 PM »

In a previous round against sheffield city he hammered a amazing 40 yarder which was more superior to the chester goal.
FFS

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 11:04:38 PM »

I seem to remember (at least) one shot that came back off the bar too. Such a pity that so few matches were videoed back then. Wasn't Mark Ogley's goal from his own half around that time too? A complete fluke obviously, but even so! At least I saw that one - when Stuart Coburn scored at Runcorn, I had taken my eyes off the game for a few seconds, assuming quite reasonably that nothing much would happen. And can anyone beat my record of missing two goals in one game in the 6-1 win at Workington (snack bar and toilet - it was one of those games!)?

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2023, 07:21:55 AM »

Gerry Quinn his manager did remark that Clive Freeman's goal was indeed a superb one, but he also remarked that he thought one he scored away at Slough Town was even better than that one. Bring back anyone's memories? Sadly, I was not there to witness it but some of you others may have done.

Clive Freeman remarked on the goal that he was knackered by the wet heavy pitch they played on that evening. He said, "My legs were really dragging towards the end of the game, when Charlie played a pass towards me. In that moment I thought should I run towards the box with it, but the heavy pitch had taken it's toll so I just hit the bloody thing as hard as I could."

Personally, my mind's eye still sees the water shaken off the crossbar, when the ball hit the underside on it's way in. I can still see it even now.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 10:06:26 AM »

And can anyone beat my record of missing two goals in one game in the 6-1 win at Workington (snack bar and toilet - it was one of those games!)?

One of our group managed to miss all four of our goals away at Sutton Coldfield, a fine achievement.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 10:40:28 AM »

And can anyone beat my record of missing two goals in one game in the 6-1 win at Workington (snack bar and toilet - it was one of those games!)?

One of our group managed to miss all four of our goals away at Sutton Coldfield, a fine achievement.

I can equal it.
Arrived at Netherfield late after a puncture delayed me and we were one nil up. Saw Netherfield score two and left early to limp home. Found out later I'd missed our late equaliser!

PS. Just been advised by Swindellsworth (who was with me) that we didn't score early, we left at 0-2 and we missed two late goals by Alty.

My memory eh!? (still valid though 😉)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 11:28:12 AM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2023, 05:34:48 PM »

Gerry Quinn his manager did remark that Clive Freeman's goal was indeed a superb one, but he also remarked that he thought one he scored away at Slough Town was even better than that one. Bring back anyone's memories? Sadly, I was not there to witness it but some of you others may have done.

Clive Freeman remarked on the goal that he was knackered by the wet heavy pitch they played on that evening. He said, "My legs were really dragging towards the end of the game, when Charlie played a pass towards me. In that moment I thought should I run towards the box with it, but the heavy pitch had taken it's toll so I just hit the bloody thing as hard as I could."

Personally, my mind's eye still sees the water shaken off the crossbar, when the ball hit the underside on it's way in. I can still see it even now.

Probably the match I'm most gutted to have missed since I started watching Alty. I was already committed to go to a cheese and wine evening at school and was promised that we would probablt losee anyway! At least that one was videoed!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team