PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dorking Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dorking Match Thread  (Read 5865 times)

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Dorking Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2023, 06:31:40 PM »

sadly we are not safe yet
Harold

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2023, 06:43:56 PM »

If we're going to be a top half club next season it's likely to be in National North. It is absolutely essential that we beat Dagenham on Tuesday, because if Torquay and Aldershot are still within catching distance they'll fight like tigers in our last two games.

There was talk on here about us relegating Aldershot on the last day of the season. On current form it isn't impossible that it could be the other way round.

Don't be daft.

We're not mathematically safe, and until we are we should take nothing for granted. Provided Torquay don't perform some sort of miracle at Wrexham we should survive, but we have a lot to sort out this summer.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2023, 07:16:00 PM »

At the risk of being thought a 'happy clapper', it's been a very difficult year of transition to full time but I've got total confidence in the Club and the management duo to sort things out with much needed summer recruitment so that we can become less dependent on the loan market and can stabilise in (at least) midtable.

(Steps back and braces himself for mockery)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2023, 07:16:13 PM »

If we're going to be a top half club next season it's likely to be in National North. It is absolutely essential that we beat Dagenham on Tuesday, because if Torquay and Aldershot are still within catching distance they'll fight like tigers in our last two games.

There was talk on here about us relegating Aldershot on the last day of the season. On current form it isn't impossible that it could be the other way round.

Don't be daft.

We're not mathematically safe, and until we are we should take nothing for granted. Provided Torquay don't perform some sort of miracle at Wrexham we should survive, but we have a lot to sort out this summer.

Starting to physically practice defending set pieces instead of talking about it would be a good start.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2023, 07:41:38 PM »

At the risk of being thought a 'happy clapper', it's been a very difficult year of transition to full time but I've got total confidence in the Club and the management duo to sort things out with much needed summer recruitment so that we can become less dependent on the loan market and can stabilise in (at least) midtable.

at the start of the season I just wanted us to survive our first season as a full time team . Whilst not done and dusted yet that looks highly likely.

We must be sat on some money at the club aren't we ?

What with the shares scheme and player sales (an issue for us now as we are full time and our best players are there for the talking not an issue when we were part time)

And if we are sat on money we need to put it at Phil's disposal this summer to push on
ParkINson's red and white army

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2023, 08:56:19 PM »

Don't be daft.

Starting to physically practice defending set pieces instead of talking about it would be a good start.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if we're still allowed to actually watch training sessions? I used to watch them sometimes when they had them at ML, and from by the Brook when they were at the gas works place (I could probably actually have watched from Timperley!). Heathcote always used to tell them to "hit the target" at shooting practise, and was much the best at putting a cross in. He seemed to get them well organised too. The best time was when I saw them practising a move where a player broke away down the right wing towards the corner, back-heeled to a player running up behind him who put it straight into the box. As I remember, they actually used this in the next matc, I think at Farnborough in the FAT, lwhich actually led to a goal (as some of you may remember). It would be interesting to get an idea of what goes on at training sessions these days.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2023, 09:18:02 PM »

"It's a funny old game"
(J.G.)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2023, 09:25:00 PM »

We are stumbling over the finish line here & thank god for that mad week where we did Woking, Barnet & Solihull as at the moment it looks like we’ll only just stay up by maybe 3-4 points. It has been a hard year with player turnover like no other season I can recall, but we are full time now & to go to part time Dorking who played on Easter Mon then had one training session since & throw away a two goal lead is absolutely criminal. The worst part is it would have surprised absolutely none of us.

It doesn’t seem to matter who is available or plays in our defence you get two goals a game off us pretty cheaply (think of the two we let in at Oldham only last week). It’s alright saying we have a young squad & they will improve but our recent league games have been against sides around us in the table & we have taken 1/9. I well recall our last national league relegation, the prior season ended with a terrible run of form, we must arrest this slide on Tuesday night.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2023, 10:01:31 PM »

Sadly, I agree.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2023, 10:54:48 PM »

This page (for one) should hopefully demonstrate that it is highly improbable that Altrincham will go down. And that's if we finish on 53 points, I still expect us to add to this. Too many teams need to get ahead of us in too few games.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/national-league/form-guide
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 11:00:57 PM by Hugh »

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2023, 09:33:12 AM »

I totally agree,with you on this.

Harold

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2023, 10:28:43 AM »

I totally agree,with you on this.

Thanks for that, H, I was beginning to think I was on my own in my opinion! 😉

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2023, 07:07:54 PM »

For the masochists out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36ArZbQfKto
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2023, 08:48:11 PM »

For the masochists out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36ArZbQfKto

Parky was correct we had more than enough chances to win the game. Need to be better at both ends.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dorking Match Thread