PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oldham Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Oldham Match Thread  (Read 8226 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Oldham Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2023, 07:18:48 PM »

I didn't think Byrne was fouled in the run-up to Oldham's opening goal (just a collision, in my view) but there was certainly a whiff of handball about it.

For their second goal, my concern is that Byrne palms the free kick straight back into the danger area rather than away from goal. Having said that, the aftermath is all rather curious in that it's Eddy Jones' attempted clearance which bizarrely skews backwards and tees up their forward for a simple header into a vacant net.

I will happily consign the first 80 minutes to the darkest recesses of my fading memory. The closing 10 minutes were highly enjoyable.

Plenty of substandard performances yesterday but, as others have already observed, Osborne was particularly abject (summed up by that ludicrous attempted crossfield pass during the first half which ended up going out for a corner).

Good, honest post-match interview by Parkinson.

Incidentally, I wouldn't fancy living in one of those houses that backed onto the away end!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 07:23:54 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2023, 11:15:54 PM »

Incidentally, I wouldn't fancy living in one of those houses that backed onto the away end!

You’re not alone. Very odd layout whereby the away fans have to walk through Brookside to reach the turnstiles.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2023, 01:57:43 AM »

You’re not alone. Very odd layout whereby the away fans have to walk through Brookside to reach the turnstiles.

Having read the comments on that Good Friday game by many Oldham supporters on their forum, it would appear that some of them would be quite happy to bury David Unsworth under a patio.   
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2023, 08:24:42 AM »

Having read the comments on that Good Friday game by many Oldham supporters on their forum, it would appear that some of them would be quite happy to bury David Unsworth under a patio.

TrevorJordash
Full time and proud of it

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2023, 10:17:22 AM »

Surely not as odd as walking through the library, and past the indoor pool at York?

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2023, 12:13:23 PM »

Did you see this on their forum posted by one of their disgruntled fans?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1628363222813143044

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2023, 12:35:32 PM »

Did you see this on their forum posted by one of their disgruntled fans?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1628363222813143044

They're not in a happy place at the moment are they? 😊😊🙄
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2023, 12:36:34 PM »

Surely not as odd as walking through the library, and past the indoor pool at York?
Maybe we could introduce something more interesting for our away fans. Maybe a winding pathway trough the allotments from the King George to the turnstiles.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2023, 01:41:57 PM »

Maybe we could introduce something more interesting for our away fans. Maybe a winding pathway trough the allotments from the King George to the turnstiles.

Fans used to walk through a cow field to get in at Cambridge.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2023, 01:51:52 PM »

Given the recent discussion around ground development, something like their north stand would be great in time - with conference facilities etc. However... the last thing we'd want is for something like that to become a white elephant - seems like theirs was completed a few years ago and has barely even been used. £5.75m price tag.

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2023, 03:42:47 PM »

Given the recent discussion around ground development, something like their north stand would be great in time - with conference facilities etc. However... the last thing we'd want is for something like that to become a white elephant - seems like theirs was completed a few years ago and has barely even been used. £5.75m price tag.
Was with a pal who lives and works in Oldham and has benefitted from hospitality there a few times.  Apparently the lack of use was a result of the football club not 'owning' it.  He did explain it to me, but it all sounded far too wearisome to repeat here.  On a more positive slant, I thought Boundary Park was a well proportioned stadium and it was good to see all four sides populated, rather than having one (sometimes two) stands closed which has become the norm for most ex-FL clubs we visit.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2023, 07:27:49 PM »

On that note,we have sometimes had to walk up down and  a hill in the park (was that some sort of Army exercise?) to get to the away end at Aldershot, and I think there was something similar on my one visit to Boreham Wood.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2023, 07:32:50 PM »

Enjoyed the day.....well did so after that utterly dire 80 minutes of dross from both sides.....thought stewarding / policing there also deserves a mention - just what you expect..respectful to our fans and threw out the few dickheads attracted by our recent rise into mid-table Conference football
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2023, 07:41:27 PM »

Enjoyed the day.....well did so after that utterly dire 80 minutes of dross from both sides.....thought stewarding / policing there also deserves a mention - just what you expect..respectful to our fans and threw out the few dickheads attracted by our recent rise into mid-table Conference football
Also a resident police presence.

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2023, 09:04:58 AM »

On that note,we have sometimes had to walk up down and  a hill in the park (was that some sort of Army exercise?) to get to the away end at Aldershot, and I think there was something similar on my one visit to Boreham Wood.

Yes Aldershot's ambush alley!

Borehamwood is a gate and a little path to the turnstile?
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oldham Match Thread