PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oldham Match Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Oldham Match Thread  (Read 8223 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Oldham Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2023, 05:32:15 PM »

Top draw in the end.
Miles better team with Sinclair and Maxi on the pitch.
I know we only have one fit and good enough winger in Sinclair, but we need to get back to wingers.
Starting Osborne over Maxi was criminal. Osborne was truly dreadful, yet again, he chases shadows.
Desperate for Byrne to do well but he was poor on both goals.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2023, 05:42:48 PM »

Top draw in the end.
I know we only have one fit and good enough winger in Sinclair, but we need to get back to wingers.
Starting Osborne over Maxi was criminal. Osborne was truly dreadful, yet again, he chases shadows.

All this.

Two weeks running with tears in my eyes at the end. Can't bear much more.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2023, 06:00:48 PM »

We were really poor, baines and Osbourne especially.

Better when Oyedele and Sinclair came on.

The referee was woeful

Oldham need lessons in game management
Full time and proud of it

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2023, 06:05:23 PM »

You can only imagine that Tyrese is still not 100%. Osborne for Oyedale is inexplicable.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2023, 06:25:30 PM »

Top draw in the end.

Just got back. Couldn't have put it better myself.
Couldn't get a programme which was disappointing.
Not as disappointing as Osborne though who was appalling. No surprise that things improved with Oyedele on the pitch.
Also, I don't think the wing back plan is working. Let's go back to a back four and play a wide front player.
Big hoofs to MWH were very predictable and he was pounced on every time.
Byrne? Yes, a good shotstopper but...

Oldham? As we sang, they're going to be here for years the time wasting, gamesmanship exponents.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2023, 07:12:31 PM »

Eighty minutes of dross , then ten + of magic . Superb fightback when James saw red inspired by the super subs . Before the fantastic finale they all looked to be off it , maybe a reaction to last week . Great vocal backing all game and that roar when the leveller went in , brilliant .

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2023, 07:33:39 PM »

Another side that were there for the taking. After 70 minutes of looking like a pub side we somehow got our act together in the end.
If Notts and Wrexham go up this year we have an unbelievable chance of attaining football league status at thd end of next season. I really don't see anyone else who stands out from the pack.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2023, 08:43:57 PM »

Another side that were there for the taking. After 70 minutes of looking like a pub side we somehow got our act together in the end.
If Notts and Wrexham go up this year we have an unbelievable chance of attaining football league status at thd end of next season. I really don't see anyone else who stands out from the pack.

Agreed on next season we will need 3 or 4 quality signings in the summer .

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2023, 09:18:38 PM »

We're going to need (at least) a keeper, number ten (when Maxi goes) and a couple of goal-contributing wingers.

PS. Quite a few need to go apart from the loanees
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2023, 09:25:17 PM »

A low quality game but you can only admire our fighting spirit to pull it back for a Desmond. The team as a whole looked off it but once Oyedele (incredibly good technique, a blinding finish) netted you could sense it was on. Sinclair one of those players who can make it happen, not sure how a bloke of his height powered home that header but it was a cracker. For 80 mins we might as well have all been in the pub in the Northern Quarter still it was that bad but we came alive when it mattered. Oldham didn’t have much about them & 2-0 flattered them anyway especially as their first goal was a weird combo of a handball & a foul on Byrne. I can see why none of their fans rate Unsworth if that’s what’s served up every week.

One thing that does need highlighting but I thought their pitch was appalling, far too dry & bumpy it didn’t suit our passing game one bit. Also we can’t talk with our away end really but 600 away fans there was no chance of getting service at half time at the sole open kiosk on the away end. Final gripe Oldham has 5 tram stops but none of them in the same universe as the ground unfortunately.

Anyway, we’ll see them for round 2 next season anyway…

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2023, 09:39:15 PM »

Yes. The official away fans figure was 609 but I thought there were quite a few more than that.

PS. I suppose it might just have been the noise generated!

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2023, 10:24:47 PM »

It seems ironic how two games in successive weeks both ended in draws, ignoring penalty shootouts, but felt so different.

Last week, we should have been out of sight against Halifax long before the end, but today we weren't in the game at all against a mediocre Oldham team until that dramatic turnaround at the end, with first thoughts being that we suddenly started playing when it's too late
I can only think that the players were fired up by the injustice of what looked like a very harsh red card from a referee who seemed intent on favouring the ex-EFL team, and I was especially pleased for Tyrese Sinclair who seemed distraught at the end of the Halifax match.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 11:09:24 PM by Sale Holmfield »

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2023, 10:59:22 PM »

We're overdue a competent set of officials. Monday maybe ?

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2023, 11:03:56 PM »

We're overdue a competent set of officials. Monday maybe ?

Don’t hold your breath Phil….

Leeds Leeds Alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2023, 12:56:05 PM »

Magnificent in the end.

Like most, agree that we were poor for 80 minutes, tho9ugh the first goal 100% should have been ruled out due to a handball followed by a foul on Byrne.

Think those blaming Bryne for either goal are being unfair to the lad - the first he was fouled for, the second he turned a strong shot round the post and had no time to recover to block the ensuing close range shot.

Jones' sending off was unfair - we should appeal if the footage bears out this general view- and the ref was their 12th man all game - a little Hitler strutting about desperate to please the home fans.

But the fighting spirit we showed for coming back and stealing a point in the last few minutes is exactly what the team needed to do, and exactly what the fans deserved. Maxi's goal was awesome and I cannot wait to see the highlights, and Tyrese totally deserved his winner after the injustice of last weekend - he made a huge difference when he came on , showed heart and fight and the way he, the players and the fans went nuts when he scored showed how much it mattered to everyone.

Belting day out - highlight of my league season - even better than Chesterfield away last season - the celebrations at the end will live long in the memory for both.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oldham Match Thread