Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 "[The referee] has played longer than he should have done".
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: "[The referee] has played longer than he should have done".  (Read 6307 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: "[The referee] has played longer than he should have done".
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2023, 10:40:25 PM »

I meant buying more time to regroup, ramp up the pressure etc
I seem to recall a similar story about a dog going on the pitch at Torquay - after which Torquay got the goal they needed to stay in the Football League. In other cases too, games seem to sometimes change after these stoppages so this flare incident could have changed things.

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2023, 01:41:07 AM »

As Brian points out in the Parky interview though the ref was ready to blow up but because they had some attacking "momentum" he bottled it.  Not the way Brian put it, that is my interpretation.  Anyway, what about the look Parky gives the officials as they meander by with not a care in the world right at the end of the interview?  Meme worthy or what?!

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2023, 10:15:34 AM »

Ah, but here's the rub. The message to fans of teams who are losing going into the final minutes is, you can buy yourself a few more minutes if you chuck a flare onto the pitch. If you're lucky it'll miss the keeper.

I'm not saying that the ref necessarily had a choice, but he will be reflecting on how that call basically condoned hooliganistic behaviour.

You're not buying more time. The game was stopped. Right call from the referee to play out the minute that was lost to deal with the incident and let's be honest, if we were chasing the game and a Halifax smoke bomb was thrown onto the pitch, we would be furious if the referee did not add the extra time on.

How did it get into the ground in the first place? That's the issue.

I think I can answer that. As I've posted previously, I was thoroughly checked by bad attitude steward (on reception at the Oldham game), I suspect because he blamed me for the assault on me at the Notts game that he failed to prevent or deal with. However, it seemed to me that a lot of other people were not being so closely searched. Reading other posts, it seems this may if anything have been worse at the FC end.

From my own experience I'd have to say that the stewards are inclined to be over zealous towards home fans, but are disinclined to step in when needed among large groups of leery away fans.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2023, 10:24:26 AM »

I think that's it in a nutshell.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2023, 05:40:36 PM »

He played just over a minute and half over the allotted extra time

Having watched the replays now, it's clear he looks at his watch about 5 seconds before the shot leaves Alli's foot - what I can't fathom is that not one of the Halifax players would have been aggrieved if he'd have blown up with the ball in that position - and yet he's let it develop to a position of extreme controversy instead.

Why not just take the easier route as a referee?

The difference between top level referees and those at this level is often emotional intelligence - say for example one or two of our players are in his ear, he's decided to strop and drag things out a bit - and much like a dog chasing a squirrel, he hasn't really thought about what to do if the unthinkable actually happens - hence losing complete control of the subsequent shootout?

that man showler

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2023, 07:11:43 PM »

He played just over a minute and half over the allotted extra time

Having watched the replays now, it's clear he looks at his watch about 5 seconds before the shot leaves Alli's foot - what I can't fathom is that not one of the Halifax players would have been aggrieved if he'd have blown up with the ball in that position - and yet he's let it develop to a position of extreme controversy instead.

Why not just take the easier route as a referee?

The difference between top level referees and those at this level is often emotional intelligence - say for example one or two of our players are in his ear, he's decided to strop and drag things out a bit - and much like a dog chasing a squirrel, he hasn't really thought about what to do if the unthinkable actually happens - hence losing complete control of the subsequent shootout?

Apparently he is an EFL league one appointed referee recently officiated  a FGR game.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2023, 09:27:10 PM »

In reply to Marple Alty's most recent post.

To have blown the final whistle when a player was about to strike a shot would have been almost indefensible.
In that scenario I would be hoping that the shot went high or wide or even was blocked ending the phase of play and allowing the final whistle.
Those of us of certain vintage will probably recall the reaction to Clive Thomas blowing in a World Cup game whilst a corner was in the air

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2023, 02:46:14 PM »

Ah, but here's the rub. The message to fans of teams who are losing going into the final minutes is, you can buy yourself a few more minutes if you chuck a flare onto the pitch. If you're lucky it'll miss the keeper.

I'm not saying that the ref necessarily had a choice, but he will be reflecting on how that call basically condoned hooliganistic behaviour.

You're not buying more time. The game was stopped. Right call from the referee to play out the minute that was lost to deal with the incident and let's be honest, if we were chasing the game and a Halifax smoke bomb was thrown onto the pitch, we would be furious if the referee did not add the extra time on.

How did it get into the ground in the first place? That's the issue.

I think I can answer that. As I've posted previously, I was thoroughly checked by bad attitude steward (on reception at the Oldham game), I suspect because he blamed me for the assault on me at the Notts game that he failed to prevent or deal with. However, it seemed to me that a lot of other people were not being so closely searched. Reading other posts, it seems this may if anything have been worse at the FC end.

From my own experience I'd have to say that the stewards are inclined to be over zealous towards home fans, but are disinclined to step in when needed among large groups of leery away fans.
bang on . The home fans are generally a friendly bunch .. easy targets. The away fans tend at times to be a bit more challenging so they can play as they want
Come on you red and white........

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2023, 04:56:48 PM »

I meant buying more time to regroup, ramp up the pressure etc
I seem to recall a similar story about a dog going on the pitch at Torquay - after which Torquay got the goal they needed to stay in the Football League. In other cases too, games seem to sometimes change after these stoppages so this flare incident could have changed things.

Indeed as soon as the flare went on the pitch the remainder of the game changed. We will never know how it would have ended if it didn’t happen but it certainly changed.
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2023, 12:03:18 AM »

All in all Halifax fans chucked three smoke bombs on the pitch. One didn't go off. 

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2023, 12:11:54 PM »

Dorking are only a premier club due to a flare.

They beat Ebbsfleet in POs thanks to Ebbsfleet fans lobbing a flare on which they thought was the winner.

It gave Dorking time to re group, go again, equaliser and go up
It's all my fault.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2023, 06:34:59 PM »

blowing his whistle as the player is about to kick the ball,might have put him off  ;D
Harold

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2023, 06:52:19 PM »

They beat Ebbsfleet in POs thanks to Ebbsfleet fans lobbing a flare on which they thought was the winner.

So we need to invest in some flares. It's not conclusive and irreputable proof that the flare changed the course of the game because it isn't possible to say what would have happened if the flare hadn't been thrown. I'm just playing devil's advocate. I'm rooting for Gateshead in the final. Ironically the Halifax halfwits wouldn't have got anywhere near the nets at the International Stadium and would have to be Olympic athletes to reach the pitch over the running track.

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2023, 08:47:03 PM »

So we need to invest in some flares. It's not conclusive and irreputable proof that the flare changed the course of the game because it isn't possible to say what would have happened if the flare hadn't been thrown. I'm just playing devil's advocate. I'm rooting for Gateshead in the final. Ironically the Halifax halfwits wouldn't have got anywhere near the nets at the International Stadium and would have to be Olympic athletes to reach the pitch over the running track.
If alty fans bring flares or invade the public airing and lambastation is clear . I can't say the the same for away fans
Come on you red and white........

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2023, 09:55:51 AM »

We need to show some bollocks and pay for policing.

I know you have to hire a job lot of them but even 2 coppers stood in that Halifax end would have solved all that.

Fans/trouble makers don’t give a sh*t about stewards of any form but do when police are there. We know that. We’ve known it for years. We scrimped on police costs and paid the penalty.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 "[The referee] has played longer than he should have done".