PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shame about Rochdale.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Shame about Rochdale.  (Read 6790 times)

Strong summer needed

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
Re: Shame about Rochdale.
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2023, 03:29:39 PM »

🐍

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2023, 08:31:28 PM »

If my memory serves me right (I can't be 100% sure these days) Rochdale unexpectedly announced the appointment of the well-respected Bob Stokoe as their 'new' Manager when they realised they were going to finish bottom of the 4th Division that season.  The bookies had Alty odds-on to replace them in the Football League and no-one could say that we didn't deserve to do so.  After the canvassing was over we were confident that we would win the vote even though it was reported that Stokoe had been going around begging for old times sake.

We should have won the vote. We didn't.  We know about the officials from clubs that had promised to support us going to the wrong room and falling asleep drunk and missing the vote but I have never forgiven Bob Stokoe for his interference with what should have been the natural order of things.

He resigned soon afterwards.  He might of just about seen the beginning of the new season. He had served his purpose.

So, here we are some 40 odd years later on and I haven't given up hoping.   

We were definite victims of the 'old pals act' as it was known back in those days , however there were other issues that possibly contributed to our losing the vote , not least the chairman publicly announcing that once in the league we would remain part time , an unnecessary own goal in my opinion . What may also have had a negative impact , we would have been the only team in the league without the four pylon floodlights , which all of the previous successful applicants had  , and finally it was just two seasons after Wigan got in , so maybe it was a case of 'too soon' and we were just in the right place at the wrong time . All of these probably contributed in some way , we will never know for certain but like everyone says it still sucks even after all this time . Strangely when we lost the league cup final on pens,  although disappointed , the feeling amongst many fans at the time was that we were certain to go up anyway and we had at least seen the back of that shower from the Drill Field !!!

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2023, 08:36:53 PM »

If (when) Rochdale go down, as you say, other clubs will come in for him. I hope we have a good sell-on clause in place as that could be a nice little boost for next year's budget (along with the dosh from winning the Trophy 🏆) 🏅😎

Agreed. When Rochdale go down given about 3 other FL sides were allegedly interested in him then he won’t be going down with them. Good to have another local side in the division next season & one we’ll get another decent gate against too. Hope at least one of them or Oldham at home is a 3pm KO.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2023, 08:44:00 PM »

My other thought was he might stay if they use the parachute money to fund an attempt to make an immediate return.
I know other teams have tried this and failed but it seems teams dropping out of the league are convinced that they can PTTL before the sad realisation kicks in.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2023, 09:04:18 PM »

How much money do they win for being relegated these days? I seem to remember that in the 90s, the GMVC champions got £5,000 prize money.

I think I'm right in saying that, at least since Darlington (1990?) Celtenham Town are the only club to win the Conference at the first attempt after being relegated from the FL.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2023, 04:48:49 PM »

I can't help but burst into tears when I look at their position in the league. But then I pull myself together and stop laughing.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2023, 06:28:36 PM »

How much money do they win for being relegated these days? I seem to remember that in the 90s, the GMVC champions got £5,000 prize money.

I think I'm right in saying that, at least since Darlington (1990?) Celtenham Town are the only club to win the Conference at the first attempt after being relegated from the FL.

Shrewsbury went straight back up

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2023, 06:57:18 PM »

If (when) Rochdale go down, as you say, other clubs will come in for him. I hope we have a good sell-on clause in place as that could be a nice little boost for next year's budget (along with the dosh from winning the Trophy 🏆) 🏅😎

Agreed. When Rochdale go down given about 3 other FL sides were allegedly interested in him then he won’t be going down with them. Good to have another local side in the division next season & one we’ll get another decent gate against too. Hope at least one of them or Oldham at home is a 3pm KO.

If we do have a sell-on in place with them, it could be a cracking piece of business from us - knowing full well he'd probably be moving on again soon.

From his point of view, maybe he felt that playing half a season against potential future employers stood him in better stead than waiting it out with us at this level.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2023, 08:40:55 PM »

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2023, 09:17:27 PM »

How sad. I always thought they were a perfect match / deserved eachother (delete as you see fit)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2023, 10:11:58 PM »

Shrewsbury went straight back up
Via the playoffs I believe?
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2023, 10:13:30 PM »

As did Grimsby

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2023, 08:39:00 PM »

Making a bit of a fist of it now, don't rule out them staying up just yet

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2023, 08:52:27 PM »

They're coming down 👇

PS. I see Toby has only made the bench for the last couple of games as well.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2023, 09:15:47 PM »

For what it's worth, Dale's remaining fixtures:

Bradford City h
Tranmere      h
Stockport      a
Sutton          a
Harrogate     a

I note that Hartlepool have also found some form, but if they win at least 3 of the next 4 they could possibly overhaul Harrogate (currently 8 points ahead with a game in hand) on the last day. Anyhow, I'm counting on at least one of them going down to possibly boost our chances with loan players.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shame about Rochdale.