PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shame about Rochdale.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Shame about Rochdale.  (Read 6808 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Shame about Rochdale.
« on: March 25, 2023, 08:44:25 PM »

Now ten points adrift of safety...

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Shame about Rochdale.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 09:04:27 PM »

I know it's donkeys years ago but I still bear a massive grudge. And I'm not a tiny bit sorry or apologetic.
If they do come and join us next year, I can't see them winning promotion back in my lifetime (and, according to the doctor, I've got another 20 years at least) 😉
They deserve it. That Toby chose to join them just made things worse.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 09:04:53 PM »

Tears.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 09:13:42 PM »

I know it's donkeys years ago but I still bear a massive grudge. And I'm not a tiny bit sorry or apologetic.
If they do come and join us next year, I can't see them winning promotion back in my lifetime (and, according to the doctor, I've got another 20 years at least) 😉
They deserve it. That Toby chose to join them just made things worse.

;)

I believe they would have been lucky to survive in 1980. Hopefully they're better prepared this time if the worst happens - and we've helped build a fine non-league pyramid for them! Hasn't entirely been time wasted for us since 1980...

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 09:14:45 PM »

We can add Ebbsfleet to the league next season, and I do think Rochdale are sunk. I would wet myself laughing if Harrogate came down.

From the South I'd want St. Albans coming up (easy away for me personally) or Oxford.

From the north, I'd opt for Scabby and Darlo (relations living in both). Please not Kings Lynn or bloody Brackley.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 09:39:44 PM »

I'd love Buxton to sneak in. I love weekends there. We have a great hotel lined up and Ithaca Greek restaurant in the centre is fabulous. (poor reasons I admit, but our ex captain is perhaps a better one!)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 10:56:28 PM »

If my memory serves me right (I can't be 100% sure these days) Rochdale unexpectedly announced the appointment of the well-respected Bob Stokoe as their 'new' Manager when they realised they were going to finish bottom of the 4th Division that season.  The bookies had Alty odds-on to replace them in the Football League and no-one could say that we didn't deserve to do so.  After the canvassing was over we were confident that we would win the vote even though it was reported that Stokoe had been going around begging for old times sake.

We should have won the vote. We didn't.  We know about the officials from clubs that had promised to support us going to the wrong room and falling asleep drunk and missing the vote but I have never forgiven Bob Stokoe for his interference with what should have been the natural order of things.

He resigned soon afterwards.  He might of just about seen the beginning of the new season. He had served his purpose.

So, here we are some 40 odd years later on and I haven't given up hoping.   

Strong summer needed

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2023, 05:33:26 AM »

Toby toby toby toby toby

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2023, 08:31:28 AM »

It looks as if Fylde are starting to inch away.

Assuming they win it, I'd want Chester in the playoffs.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2023, 09:00:42 AM »

Fylde and Chorley are very local for me, as Southport have slipped away somewhat.

I can see the attraction of Chester and Scarborough though.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2023, 09:00:58 AM »

Chester would give us a local away game and a strong Chester contingent at Moss Lane. Playing Scabby would rekindle old memories (vs their former club).

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2023, 09:48:46 AM »

Yes I suppose Chester would be good, after all it's only just over three miles away from us 😊
Would certainly make for a lot more banter around the village (especially if they went straight back down again) 😂

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 10:17:31 AM »

If we gat to Wembley and Rochdale get relegated,do you think Toby would have any regrets over his move to them?
Harold

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2023, 10:21:50 AM »

If we gat to Wembley and Rochdale get relegated,do you think Toby would have any regrets over his move to them?
Probably, but he met his dream of playing in FL. Wouldn't be surprised if he moves on from there in the Summer.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2023, 10:31:28 AM »

If (when) Rochdale go down, as you say, other clubs will come in for him. I hope we have a good sell-on clause in place as that could be a nice little boost for next year's budget (along with the dosh from winning the Trophy 🏆) 🏅😎
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shame about Rochdale.