PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southend Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Southend Match Thread  (Read 8111 times)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Southend Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2023, 07:18:25 PM »

If we could do the same vs Halifax and again at Wembley it'd do for me! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2023, 07:19:37 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, that's our first clean sheet in the league since the Oldham game at the end of October and only our third of the season. The other being Aldershot in September?

We also kept at clean sheet at Bromley back in August.

Ah yes. Forgot that one.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

adzid

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2023, 07:19:52 PM »

Poor game lack of quality from both teams. Not a fan of 532 lack of width really kills us going forward and don't have the wing backs good enough going forward for it to work .

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2023, 07:31:44 PM »

Marriott was my MoM that man covers every blade of grass twice in every game. My first game back at ML for a long time. 3 pts is 3 pts

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2023, 07:45:35 PM »

We will play twice as good and lose.....not a spectacle and as the Cult said to me....scored with our only shot on target

100% efficiency rate!

Not a memorable game (and I have to say that a draw would have been the fairest outcome) but, nonetheless, I am delighted that we have finally beaten those Essex shysters.

Plus a rare sighting of a clean sheet, too.

Marriott and Lundstram were both excellent (and a tip of the hat to Baines as well) and I fear that our next major challenge is going to comprise retaining both of them.

I always find Non League Day to be a curiously unsettling experience. The attendance invariably increases and yet the atmosphere itself seems to deflate.

As a long-standing grudge-bearer, Rochdale's defeat was the perfect accompaniment to our victory.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2023, 07:47:45 PM »

Got away with one there , good , sometimes desperate  ,defending and poor finishing from them and never looked likely to score ourselves , penalty apart . Great three points considering .Both Josh and Isaac superb yet again .  Massive lack of creativety going forward and both the 'H's never got a look in all game .

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2023, 09:02:40 PM »

Great quote from Maher after the match, bemoaning their bad luck.
"Ralphy hits the post in the first half, a foot either side and it's in!"
The basic geography of football goalposts is obviously beyond him.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2023, 09:37:11 PM »

But you know what he meant. A draw would have been a fair rezult

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2023, 09:49:07 PM »

It would.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2023, 09:49:21 PM »

Great quote from Maher after the match, bemoaning their bad luck.
"Ralphy hits the post in the first half, a foot either side and it's in!"
The basic geography of football goalposts is obviously beyond him.

my view about hitting post or cross bar is that you missed. it's nothing to do with luck.

Macsporran

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2023, 09:27:41 AM »

I’m beginning to think that the ‘new’ formation with the 3 Centre Backs is here to stay, certainly with the players we currently have in the squad. It’s making us more solid at the back, albeit Southend did miss some chances. Our first clean sheet for months tells its own story, I’d be amazed to see Parky change it for the semi next week.

Baines was excellent, and Fergie had his best game since coming back to us. I’d love to think we have a chance of signing him permanently next season.

Sinclair was part of the warm up yesterday, I’m sure Parky is getting him right for Halifax. He played a lot of games after virtually nothing at Rochdale, I’m sure there was a reaction to that. Would love to see him flying next Sat.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2023, 09:48:01 AM »

I’m beginning to think that the ‘new’ formation with the 3 Centre Backs is here to stay, certainly with the players we currently have in the squad. It’s making us more solid at the back, albeit Southend did miss some chances. Our first clean sheet for months tells its own story, I’d be amazed to see Parky change it for the semi next week.

Baines was excellent, and Fergie had his best game since coming back to us. I’d love to think we have a chance of signing him permanently next season.

Sinclair was part of the warm up yesterday, I’m sure Parky is getting him right for Halifax. He played a lot of games after virtually nothing at Rochdale, I’m sure there was a reaction to that. Would love to see him flying next Sat.
I agree over the formation when we don't deploy wingers. Pleased with clean sheet yesterday, we got some great blocks in as did they. When not at your best need to find a way to win and we did. Thought Ollie commanded his box better and only had 1 save to make. Could of had another penalty and there player should have seen red for the penalty with a second yellow. Interesting to see the rotation on Tuesday.

Tyrese in my opinion is being rested following a knock he had, hopefully he'll be fit for next Saturday.

Knutty robin

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2023, 11:06:59 AM »

The formation allowed them to press and we had no outlet. I liked the look of Burgess when he came on but I thought he was a winger and was a little surprised not to see him in that position. Could not believe Ferguson did not get penalised for wrapping his arms around forwards.  He needs to watch that

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2023, 01:36:37 PM »

They did press us quite high, but I think we dealt with it OK. The extra man certainly helped in that respect, but it did leave us short on options other than sending it back to Ollie or lumping it forward to Joe and Jordan who weren't positioned wide enough to get in behind.

With the absence of Sinclair I think our hand was probably forced a little with the formation - if he's available I do still think we'd go back to 4231, for the home games at the very least I would have thought.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2023, 07:28:31 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southend Match Thread