PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chequers Scoreboard
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Chequers Scoreboard  (Read 6793 times)

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Chequers Scoreboard
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2023, 04:14:33 PM »

I really hope so because the former has always been a reminder to me of how short-sighted our sale of the Red Robin Social Club and the adjoining land was in the early 1970s.
Sorry to correct you but,.... AFC have never owned the ground or the red robin club. AFC had a lease on the ground from TMBC and shared a lease on the car park.
When Alty were in major financial trouble in around 2000, the club surrendered the lease (which by then was getting quite short) of the shared use of car park for 250K which effectively (together with great work by Geoff Goodwin and board) removed the clubs debt.

Far-sighted in retrospect actually.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2023, 08:39:02 PM »

I really hope so because the former has always been a reminder to me of how short-sighted our sale of the Red Robin Social Club and the adjoining land was in the early 1970s.
Sorry to correct you but,.... AFC have never owned the ground or the red robin club. AFC had a lease on the ground from TMBC and shared a lease on the car park.
When Alty were in major financial trouble in around 2000, the club surrendered the lease (which by then was getting quite short) of the shared use of car park for 250K which effectively (together with great work by Geoff Goodwin and board) removed the clubs debt.

Far-sighted in retrospect actually.

I don't dispute any of what you say as I remember those events.  However, my understanding is derived from events that took place back in the 60s, when the club leased the land covered by the fingerprint of the ground from Altrincham Borough Council including where, under Peter Swales' chairmanship, the Board would approve the construction of the Red Robin Club.

Then in the 1970s, the Red Robin Club (bricks and mortar) owned by Alty was sold and about 10-15% of the land we had held on leasehold was transferred to the new owners of the Red Robin Club.  Someone at Alty realised that it would be prudent to hang on to the lease for half the car park from the Borough Council in case there might be any future right of way or development issues.  So glad they did that.

I don't know how much was raised.  It was in the days before the property boom had kicked off and so I doubt that it was very much relatively speaking  but imagine what we could have done with that end of the ground if we still held the lease.

There were some folks some years back who told me that the money had to be raised to pay for debts that had been growing for years because of money borrowed to build the Main Stand.  Might be true I guess. 

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2023, 09:13:23 PM »

Needs covering , too many draughts for my liking .

I thought you were talking about the fanzone for a moment (draught beers)!  ;D

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2023, 09:16:33 PM »

Great news. It would have been very useful for the Alsager game in 2011. I seem to remember telling a few people about our incredible 10-1 win for a few days until I checked the website.

A scoreboard would have been useful at Guiseley when the referee wanted to award a goal despite having blown his whistle before the ball crossed the line! The one time I have genuinely been unsure of the score.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2023, 08:54:20 AM »

Great news. It would have been very useful for the Alsager game in 2011. I seem to remember telling a few people about our incredible 10-1 win for a few days until I checked the website.

A scoreboard would have been useful at Guiseley when the referee wanted to award a goal despite having blown his whistle before the ball crossed the line! The one time I have genuinely been unsure of the score.

I think that was Farsley, not Guiseley ?

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2023, 09:41:58 AM »

I think that was Farsley, not Guiseley ?

Defo Farsley and the coldest I can ever remember being.  FA Trophy game.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2023, 09:58:48 AM »

Grantham away in the FA Cup in the sixties amidst the foot and mouth epidemic was my coldest. Had to crouch slightly to prevent my knee caps going up and down! (know that sounds crazy and unbelievable, but true on their open end)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2023, 01:55:31 PM »

Grantham away in the FA Cup in the sixties amidst the foot and mouth epidemic was my coldest. Had to crouch slightly to prevent my knee caps going up and down! (know that sounds crazy and unbelievable, but true on their open end)

Tow Law away for me. I've been colder but never in the UK. I was a frozen young chap back in Feb 83. Unforgettable.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2023, 05:14:52 PM »

South Liverpool at Holly Park late sixties and Mossley at Seel Park a few seasons ago 'spring ' to mind.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2023, 05:49:19 PM »

South Liverpool at Holly Park late sixties and Mossley at Seel Park a few seasons ago 'spring ' to mind.

All I remember about Holly Park, apart from the railway right next to it, is their massive working men's club style club next door and having a jolly good time in there before getting the trains home (changing at Warrington!) and a bus home due to a driving ban kicking in (yes, I was a naughty boy 50 odd years ago) 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2023, 06:41:31 PM »

Two words regarding coldest fixture
General Chenicals

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2023, 11:39:29 PM »

That game at Holly Park was the only match on within a 25 mile radius as I recall. The pitch was rock hard and the match was a complete farce, ending in a 0-0 draw.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2023, 12:01:29 PM »

That game at Holly Park was the only match on within a 25 mile radius as I recall. The pitch was rock hard and the match was a complete farce, ending in a 0-0 draw.
Great memory ! Goalless and soulless.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2023, 12:05:29 PM »

All I remember about Holly Park, apart from the railway right next to it, is their massive working men's club style club next door and having a jolly good time in there before getting the trains home (changing at Warrington!) and a bus home due to a driving ban kicking in (yes, I was a naughty boy 50 odd years ago) 😉
Us North Mancs eh naughty boy ! I remember about age 10 getting first police 'lecture' after stealing lead off house windows with Stan Bowles's brother amongst others .

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2023, 06:17:10 PM »

So, er, what happened to the scoreboard?
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chequers Scoreboard