PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Moss Lane
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Moss Lane  (Read 14608 times)

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Moss Lane
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2023, 05:33:19 PM »

I think people are suggesting a move because it's such a tight plot. I can't see either end being developed to any significant degree simply because of the likely difficulty when it comes to getting planning permission.

Realistically that leaves the Popside. Money aside, it would be relatively straight forward to put a  decent size stand all the way along but that would cause all the current car parking space to be lost. It really is a shame that we lost the Chequers End but you can't turn back the clock.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2023, 05:40:58 PM »

There's been nothing from the club so far to suggest anything other than a re-development of ML . I believe that to be their only option tbh. The 'new stadium' looks great doesn't it , however unless someone comes in and sprinkles gold dust it's one for the dreamers.  Agree entirely that the pop side , Golf Road and chequers all need an overhaul , new stands at the first two with the popside either part or fully seated with the Golf and Chequers staying terraced , with the latter extended near to the corner .  The main stand side is problematical isn't it with the club offices etc , CSH and the sponsers lounge . Good luck with that ! at least that side of the ground doesn't look an eyesore like the rest . More immedietely how about some more bloody toilets ffs.

No smoke without fire...
I know i keep on about this Hashtag , but for us seated fans it's no joke especially quite a number with mobility issues and there is room between the two stands for a facility

Perhaps we could install commode chairs in the main stand.

Could I book one of those (near the club if possible) 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2023, 05:49:10 PM »

There's been nothing from the club so far to suggest anything other than a re-development of ML . I believe that to be their only option tbh. The 'new stadium' looks great doesn't it , however unless someone comes in and sprinkles gold dust it's one for the dreamers.  Agree entirely that the pop side , Golf Road and chequers all need an overhaul , new stands at the first two with the popside either part or fully seated with the Golf and Chequers staying terraced , with the latter extended near to the corner .  The main stand side is problematical isn't it with the club offices etc , CSH and the sponsers lounge . Good luck with that ! at least that side of the ground doesn't look an eyesore like the rest . More immedietely how about some more bloody toilets ffs.

No smoke without fire...
I know i keep on about this Hashtag , but for us seated fans it's no joke especially quite a number with mobility issues and there is room between the two stands for a facility

Can you put a deposit down?

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2023, 06:54:23 PM »

I think this  is the Accy   equivalent  of the pop side or probably worse  before this new stand was built- timeframe , grants mentioned

https://www.lancs.live/sport/works-accrington-stanleys-new-1m-14638264
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 08:54:42 PM by Timperley The Best »

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2023, 06:58:54 PM »

I wouldn’t think the allotments would be sold.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2023, 07:42:24 PM »

No smoke without fire...

Can you put a deposit down?
🤣

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2023, 09:13:28 PM »

Of course any work extending or even modernising the ground would get complaints from the sort of locals who buy a house near a football ground then complain there is a football ground nearby!!!

You know the sort: who buy a house by a church and complain about the bells or a house in the country and complain about farmyard noises!

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2023, 10:13:55 PM »

Of course any work extending or even modernising the ground would get complaints from the sort of locals who buy a house near a football ground then complain there is a football ground nearby!!!

You know the sort: who buy a house by a church and complain about the bells or a house in the country and complain about farmyard noises!

Very true. Unfortunately,there are people like that who just complain as a sort of reflex (I am sure I remember there  even being complaints when we had plans for shorter floodlight pylons with lights which had less spillage, if that's the right term).

As people have already said, there aren't really alternative sites in the town, and it would be foolish to move out, so we would have to try to work with or around these people, and try to win over the more reasonable - perhaps emphasising how any developments improve the appearance of the ground? Not a great answer, but I think that's where we are.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2023, 10:25:19 PM »

Sorry but I don't agree. There's a difference between complaining about an existing chip shop and complaining about the chip shop wanting to become a drive in diner.

The development at Accrington doesn't look good to me. It only holds a 1000. We'd need at least double that to have a decent sized stadium. Yorks capacity is 8500 and it didn't look big. Stockport's capacity is 10500 and they are looking to expand.

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2023, 10:42:05 PM »

That’s c£1000 a seat for that stand. You’ve got to be able to better than that surely?

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2023, 10:47:02 PM »

Sorry but I don't agree. There's a difference between complaining about an existing chip shop and complaining about the chip shop wanting to become a drive in diner.

100%.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2023, 11:29:04 PM »

Very true. Unfortunately,there are people like that who just complain as a sort of reflex (I am sure I remember there  even being complaints when we had plans for shorter floodlight pylons with lights which had less spillage, if that's the right term).

As people have already said, there aren't really alternative sites in the town, and it would be foolish to move out, so we would have to try to work with or around these people, and try to win over the more reasonable - perhaps emphasising how any developments improve the appearance of the ground? Not a great answer, but I think that's where we are.

Agreed.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2023, 08:34:57 AM »

That’s c£1000 a seat for that stand. You’ve got to be able to better than that surely?

That's probably lower end at the moment. Stevenage paid about the same pound for pound for theirs. Wrexham's new stand is about £3k a seat but of course that will be higher end.

You need 5000 capacity for the EFL with the ability to have 2000 seats. Given the capacity for the Halifax game then if you made the popular side all seated it'd need to be at least 1700 to keep the total around 5000.

Minor detail, you need to factor in the rules re parking spaces and so you couldn't just build over the car park. The chequers end side of the popular side is very narrow also.

All in all a very big expenditure and not that much space to play with.

Leeds Leeds Alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2023, 10:32:52 PM »

This thread is one of the most interesting I have read in ages.  There aren't any easy answers here, but I think where we have potential to development the most is the Pop side, where we have far more walkway space at the front than we need, more space at the back, no problem with overlooking housing, and therefore the potential is there to build a new, higher stand with seats at the back and smaller terrace at the front, with enough space underneath for proper catering and toilet facilities - which brings in extra revenue.  That will all cost a fortune though, with limited increases in income opportunities.

Golf Road redevelopment is entirely dependent on how high we can build a new terrace and roof without having to get planning permission - I suspect that will be the sticking point-  but a decent, steeper terrace would generate more capacity than the current GRE.

I actually think developing chequers end as a decent away end with proper catering, bar and toilet facilities and updated turhstiles is also a priority.  The space at the unused gate at the end could be used for a kind of away fans fan zone like the one at Stockport-  which brings in more revenue.  We need to find ways to provide a seating area for away fans away from family stand - drunken football fans and families and sponsors sat next to each other divided by makeshift barriers is not a tenable longer term solution, so perhaps giving a small area of pop side over to additional terracing and seating would ensure that we can accommodate larger away followings without giving them half the pop side. Build a roof too, gives them one less thing to moan about.

Main stand needs tearing down and replacing, but the trouble is that all of this costs alot of money, is only worth doing if we tear down the family stand and the CSH as well, and at the moment we cannot afford moves like this, so the emphasis has to be on what we can do in the shorter term which has a return on investment, and for me that is the away end - this is where we can spend less to make it more suitable, and generate more income most easily, in my view.  People will say it is favouring away fans over home fans etc etc but if we can make an additional £100K annually on catering and perhaps slightly higher ticket pricing at away end, for example, then it is probably the best spend in the shorter term, and will help generate funds for other developments.

Strong summer needed

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2023, 06:40:12 AM »

8)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Moss Lane