PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Moss Lane
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Author Topic: Moss Lane  (Read 14614 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Moss Lane
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2023, 05:19:08 PM »

Terrible location. Reminded me of the AJ Bell. I've always looked for York away on the calendar as one of the more attractive days out but the scramble to get to the game in taxis cuts time in the city centre short, and makes the whole day far less appealing for future trips. Would be quite content with it being a Tuesday night away game next season, should they stay up.

I thought the ground was fine and found the away end easily. Stewards were helpful. Got served quickly. Others have pointed out the overcrowding of the top 5-6 rows of seats but I would imagine there was enough space in the away end if each fan took up one seat. It's not a failing of the ground that our fans all wanted to pile in together.

I don't think we'll ever see an all-seater Moss Lane but a new, seated pop side stand with concourse has to be on the agenda as facilities in that area of the ground are terrible, as we all know.

It's a failing though nonetheless. That's exactly what happened at Hillsborough - the Liverpool fans mostly wanting to go in the middle sections at the Leppings Lane end. It just seemed so unnecessary at York with so many empty seats in the ground. Something should be done before something more serious happens. That's always the way when these major incidents happen - people see that something is not right, but nothing gets done preemptively. Grounds should be safe even in a worst case scenario. The LNER Community Stadium clearly was not.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 05:26:04 PM by Hugh »

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2023, 05:22:55 PM »

Development of the GRE like that would be fabulous but, I think, very unlikely given the proximity of the houses behind would mean reduction of light and likely planning refusal.

The pitch could be lowered but I don't know how prohibitive the cost would be.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2023, 05:34:14 PM »

Perhaps the Chequers End could become the Home End. It's got a better gradient. Away fans could then have Golf Road.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2023, 05:38:18 PM »

Wasn't there talk of the pitch being flipped 90 degrees at one point?

On the face of it, makes sense - would give us room to have deeper stands running down each length of the pitch, and would probably just about miss the telecommunications mast - but it would go quite far into the allotment, and obviously they're under no obligation to sell.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2023, 05:53:37 PM »

Perhaps the Chequers End could become the Home End. It's got a better gradient. Away fans could then have Golf Road.

It’s an interesting one as there is no doubt the view is miles better at the Chequers then on the GRE. However all the adjacent facilities in the CSH, Fanzone, snack bar etc means that the Altrincham end of the ground will always be the natural home end.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2023, 05:53:57 PM »

How would the home fans get to the CSH and fanzone?

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2023, 06:00:24 PM »

New seated pop side would be fantastic as long as the third nearest the away end stays standing.
Also, decent leg room for the seats for us taller old crocks is absolutely essential.

Why the final third standing?

For the golf road singers when we're kicking that way!

I like the sentiment, but if we are going where we want to go I think at some point we will have to accept that walking round to different parts of the ground will become a thing of the past. It would make all the difference if the Golf Road end was completely rebuilt with steeper terracing, which would hugely improve the view of the pitch. I love the old girl, but the view from there is and always has been garbage.

Totally agree. If you want one third terracing next to two third seats in the same structure you've probably got a massive design issue in terms of sightlines and gradient. Then factor in how you get access to the terracing which means having to then raise the whole structure so people can walk along without blocking the seats in front. Which means you have less space behind for catering etc. New seated stands tend to be seated the whole length of the pitch for a reason..

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2023, 06:36:11 PM »

CSH is a problem. The fanzone has a low headcount limit anyway but would be accessible from the popside.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2023, 10:03:53 PM »

Just to be clear I was commenting on the design of the ground, rather than its location/environment.

Yes I agree..........inside was fine and things ok. Men's toilets could be bigger, but on the whole ok.

The location and nearby places for food and drink......useless

The buildings or the actual khazis?

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2023, 10:06:25 PM »

Whatever the development, let's hope it develops significantly quicker than Altair!

andrewflynn

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2023, 07:02:08 AM »

Terrible location. Reminded me of the AJ Bell. I've always looked for York away on the calendar as one of the more attractive days out but the scramble to get to the game in taxis cuts time in the city centre short, and makes the whole day far less appealing for future trips. Would be quite content with it being a Tuesday night away game next season, should they stay up.

I thought the ground was fine and found the away end easily. Stewards were helpful. Got served quickly. Others have pointed out the overcrowding of the top 5-6 rows of seats but I would imagine there was enough space in the away end if each fan took up one seat. It's not a failing of the ground that our fans all wanted to pile in together.

I don't think we'll ever see an all-seater Moss Lane but a new, seated pop side stand with concourse has to be on the agenda as facilities in that area of the ground are terrible, as we all know.

Of course its a falling; they removed assigned seating and had 3 stewards to monitor it.

Assigned seating wouldn’t have made a difference, you only need look at the Facebook supporters group thread to see that some fans were planning on occupying the back rows well before we were moved to the West stand.

If we all each took a seat’s worth of space, which is hardly an absurd assumption for York to make of us, I am positive there would have been no problem. If, after that, there was really no space then by all means let’s give York all the stick in the world but it’s really not their fault that we treated a seated away end like a terrace.

It again highlights that we really aren’t used to these sorts of occasions or crowds. We’ve got to police ourselves better first before pointing the finger.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2023, 09:47:45 AM »

CSH is a problem. The fanzone has a low headcount limit anyway but would be accessible from the popside.

And if you have a nice seated stand replacing the pop side then anything beyond the chequers end is inaccessible.

As other posters have alluded to on this thread, we're in a very different world now to the days of 700 fans walking freely around the ground, many with a pint in hand. Bigger crowds, larger facilities and tight stewarding is the norm and we have to adapt as a club and indeed fanbase on this.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2023, 11:43:00 AM »

Of course its a falling; they removed assigned seating and had 3 stewards to monitor it.

Assigned seating wouldn’t have made a difference, you only need look at the Facebook supporters group thread to see that some fans were planning on occupying the back rows well before we were moved to the West stand.

If we all each took a seat’s worth of space, which is hardly an absurd assumption for York to make of us, I am positive there would have been no problem. If, after that, there was really no space then by all means let’s give York all the stick in the world but it’s really not their fault that we treated a seated away end like a terrace.

It again highlights that we really aren’t used to these sorts of occasions or crowds. We’ve got to police ourselves better first before pointing the finger.

And therein lies the problem with all seater grounds. This is not a problem unique to York, I've stood in allocated seats at Leeds, M'boro, Leicester to name a few. No amount of a stewarding is capable of getting everyone to sit in their seat. I have seen it tried and fail.

Footy fans stand up. Once government accept that we can move onto safe standing and remove much of the inconvenience and dangers of all seater stadia. That is slowly happening and I look forward to new builds having that incorporated at the design and planning stage.

andrewflynn

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2023, 12:06:58 PM »

And therein lies the problem with all seater grounds. This is not a problem unique to York, I've stood in allocated seats at Leeds, M'boro, Leicester to name a few. No amount of a stewarding is capable of getting everyone to sit in their seat. I have seen it tried and fail.

Footy fans stand up. Once government accept that we can move onto safe standing and remove much of the inconvenience and dangers of all seater stadia. That is slowly happening and I look forward to new builds having that incorporated at the design and planning stage.

I completely agree.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2023, 03:49:36 PM »

I completely agree.
Agree 100%
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Moss Lane