PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Bromley Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Bromley Match Thread  (Read 14824 times)

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Bromley Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2023, 09:07:29 AM »

Have they lost only one since mid November? It just goes to show how important it is to have a couple of quality centre backs and a useful keeper.

andrewflynn

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2023, 09:16:17 AM »

Have they lost only one since mid November? It just goes to show how important it is to have a couple of quality centre backs and a useful keeper.

Yes mate in the league, a narrow 2-1 defeat to Wrexham. So let’s not get carried away is all I’m saying. The pendulum swings from “we can make the playoffs” to “we’re going down” quite quickly at Alty and some perspective is deffo needed.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2023, 09:17:46 AM »

Bromley have lost one league game since mid November. While it was our best chance for three points on this hellish run, it was always going to be a battle and I think in the end we looked exactly what we are - a side gelling in the final third with serious inconsistencies at the back. Same story all season, after Torquay I described it as a

…lack of maturity, concentration, confidence, intelligence, experience…

And, to be fair, that side at Torquay would have been mullered at Chesterfield and by Wrexham recently. So we’re clearly moving in the right direction, but how can we go from those performances to the two gifts we gave Bromley in the first half. Completely killed us.

Welch-Hayes came here after no football in a long time and has played every minute since his debut. Worth bearing that in mind.

The playoffs were never on. We were in an inflated position due to other teams’ players becoming our stars and it was never sustainable I’m afraid. We’re not a million miles away from the top sides in this league but we’re playing them at the worst possible time. Do think we’ve got to grin and bear it a bit before it gets better. Woking play a very intensive press and I don’t see how we cope.
generally agree here Andrew. Need to tighten up at the back, if need be give Ollie a rest, I'd bring Gouldy in. Just need to be more clinical up front, we've been saying this most of the season. Linney looked useful when got on. Hopefully he can settle, arrive on time and get a good run going with assists and a few goals.

I don't normally single out players but think Cashman has been poor to date and don't see anything in Kaja.

Another tough game on Saturday, I'll be there hoping for a better result.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2023, 09:18:22 AM »

I’m happy with Baines, Jones has an error in him, I would love to get Kyle Ferguson back here, for some reason I have a feeling he wouldn’t be too keen to return, hence, the reason we haven’t asked the question

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2023, 09:27:22 AM »

I’m happy with Baines, Jones has an error in him, I would love to get Kyle Ferguson back here, for some reason I have a feeling he wouldn’t be too keen to return, hence, the reason we haven’t asked the question
Maybe we asked and the answer was no at the time, maybe ask again. Good shout that

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2023, 09:36:18 AM »

One thing that came out of the interview I did with PP on Saturday is that he said we don't practise set pieces in a genuine, contested way for fear of people getting injured. We just give them a lot of info on what the opposition will look to do. I can't help thinking that needs to change because it's clearly not working. Our vulnerability at set pieces is getting ridiculous.

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2023, 09:44:06 AM »

Looked a lot better when Pringle and Linney came on.

Can't believe people are slating Osbourne, thought he was our 2nd best player behind Marriott.

Welsh-Hayes had a poor game by his standards, but the real issue is Byrne. I believe we've invested heavy in him but he looks shot.

Going to be a long hard 2-3 weeks

Did we? I thought we got him for free hence the issuenin August.

This is the problem (and theres problems having 2 keepers in reduced quality) of 1 GK

according to Transfermarkt we paid 12k euros

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2023, 09:48:26 AM »

Maybe we asked and the answer was no at the time, maybe ask again. Good shout that

I think Ferguson was injured over Xmas. But Id expect us to try for him come June.

What's Billy Sass Davies upto?
It's all my fault.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2023, 10:21:30 AM »

One thing that came out of the interview I did with PP on Saturday is that he said we don't practise set pieces in a genuine, contested way for fear of people getting injured. We just give them a lot of info on what the opposition will look to do. I can't help thinking that needs to change because it's clearly not working. Our vulnerability at set pieces is getting ridiculous.

I remember years ago watching a documentary on football where (might have been) Stan Cullis said at (might have been) Wolves they didn't train with a football so they'd be hungry for the ball on match day. Maybe we could try that too.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2023, 10:33:56 AM »

Since losing Colclough and Conn-Clarke we just don't have the game changers to turn these tight games around and as Andrew said our situation IS concerning .  The bottom two look dead in the water but if Gateshead and Torquay put a run together and the log jam of teams just beneath us keep picking up points , in four weeks time we could well be right down there in a dogfight .   We need a win or two somewhere from this away run to turn the tide.   I do believe we will be ok but not as confident as would like tbh.
  Talking of game changers , if Southend go under in a couple of weeks time ......

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2023, 02:17:47 PM »

Good post Andrew. I have serious concerns that Padraig Amond will have a field day on Saturday. Other clubs have weighed up where our manifold problems like, and will set up to exploit them at every opportunity. Woking drew at Wrexham and are clearly different gravy.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2023, 04:53:49 PM »

The only two teams I'm convinced will go down are Dorking and Maidstone at this stage.

Scunny's results have been encouraging of late and they, along with Torquay and Gateshead, are more than capable of reeling us in.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2023, 07:02:28 PM »

It sounds like Bromley had a few issues. Hope that their player is now OK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWdW2O0Q258
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2023, 02:26:34 PM »

I think that the main reason we are failing to deal with virtually all crosses and set pieces that invade our box has much more to do with the lack of any Centre Back intervention. This has left Ollie vulnerable to some harsh criticism that I do not feel he deserves right now. I agree that he has made a few mistakes but lets give him a rest and another chance playing alongside a couple of decent CBs before we judge him.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2023, 02:28:31 PM »

I think that the main reason we are failing to deal with virtually all crosses and set pieces that invade our box has much more to do with the lack of any Centre Back intervention. This has left Ollie vulnerable to some harsh criticism that I do not feel he deserves right now. I agree that he has made a few mistakes but lets give him a rest and another chance playing alongside a couple of decent CBs before we judge him.

Decent CB? Baines will be playing EFL football soon, and Jones got a move from North to League 2. He had Mullarky as well.

He needs to command that area. Not be glued to his line
It's all my fault.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Bromley Match Thread