PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Johnny King R. I. P.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Johnny King R. I. P.  (Read 10742 times)

bigedd

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Johnny King R. I. P.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2023, 06:09:07 PM »

R I P" Kingy"
Was a True Alty Legend.

Alty TV

• Regular First Team
  • Alty TV
    • View Profile
    • Alty TV
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2023, 06:19:25 PM »

RIP Kingy. A true Club legend and hero of mine. The Choir Invisible will be singing "Kingy's gonna get ya" at the Pearly Gates

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2023, 06:38:48 PM »

RIP John King.

A very sad day indeed.
Come on Alty!

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2023, 06:46:10 PM »

Such sad news and a real shock. A great man and a wonderful character, RIP John and thanks for all those memories.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2023, 06:59:49 PM »

A terribly sad day for the club.

If the day ever comes that we commission a statue outside the ground, there's a good chance it will be this fella forever immortalised.

RIP Kingy - let's go and win the Trophy in his honour.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2023, 07:07:27 PM »

Heartbroken to hear this, got on well with John King. He used to give my sons Chris and Alex chewing gum. Met him at the Breakfast with the King alongside the great first team squad of 1990/91, at the Bowden Hotel. I actually said to him I was thoroughly enjoying watching his team play, he was delighted to hear and invited me to meet the players next game, which I subsequently did - spoke to Paul Showler at great length in the changing room.

He also invited my wife Carys to meet the players in the dressing room on her birthday once, however she exited stage left when the players threatened to throw her in the showers. I was a steward at one time working at the back of the changing rooms. I once heard his team talk. He was yelling at the top of his voice and firing the players up before a game with Stalybridge. We went on to win it 4-1, I wasn't in the least bit surprised as it made ME want to kick the nearest wall in!

Not only was he a great player and manager, he was a really nice guy as well. Rest in Peace Kingy, you'll always be a hero to me!!

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2023, 07:13:30 PM »

Tribute to JK on Alty TV now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTc2nkQR11Q
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 07:16:33 PM by Ukrainian Alty »

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2023, 07:24:40 PM »

We all knew he was unwell but this is still terribly sad. My earliest memories of watching Alty were with the Kingy & ‘Cote double act that would be built into the great 90/91 team & then when he returned to save us from certain relegation in ‘94 & onto a great season with another trip to Spurs. Too young to ever see him as a player but have enjoyed all the many stories of course.

Away from the pitch too with his contribution in the summer of ‘95 when Maunders took the Spurs money & pulled the plug & then his more recent donation of his historic shareholding to enable us to seek fresh investment.

The only fitting tributes for me are either a statue or a stand named after him.

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2023, 07:48:19 PM »

Sad news.  Definitely one of my greatest Alty players!  Will always remember his goal at Wembley in 78 and Kingy whipping his shirt around his head in celebration. R.I.P.

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2023, 07:54:47 PM »

A Husband - A Dad -A Grandad -A Businessmen -A Gentlemen -A Bloody No Nonsense Footballer -A Brilliant Manager -A Amazing Human -A Legend - A King         

Rest in peace good sir, the Alty team in heaven have just had there captain signed.
FFS

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2023, 08:21:21 PM »

Very sad news. All I will say (speaking from personal experience) is that it is probably a blessing both for the great man and his family in light of the cursed affliction of dementia. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Where on earth do you start when endeavouring to pay tribute to the gargantuan contribution that he made to Altrincham FC, both on and off the field?

I recall the arrival of this colossus at Moss Lane in late November 1977. Merely five months later, he captained the Robins and scored a goal in that memorable victory in the FA Trophy Final. Those of us who were privileged to be in attendance at Wembley on that April afternoon will never forget his spontaneous goal celebration of ripping off his shirt and then joyously waving it above his head. Several hours (and pints in The Moss) later, my friend's father could be witnessed re-enacting that very incident in the front garden of a house in Hale, much to his dear wife's general bewilderment!

So many marvellous memories ensued, including his famous tussle with Ossie Ardiles at White Hart Lane in 1979; Joe Neenan's legendary right knee in 1980 and then guiding the club to a second FA Trophy triumph in 1986 (I believe that he became the first man to have both played for and managed an FA Trophy-winning team).

Onwards to that dazzling and fondly-remembered side of 1990/91; another contest with Spurs in 1995 and then, just a few months later, his pivotal role in securing the club's future after the abrupt exit of John Maunders.

The ultimate midfield competitor/hardman/enforcer (take your pick of epithet) but, as Alty Tunnel Steward rightly states earlier in this thread, the man could certainly play and his sweet left foot was often overlooked owing to the intimidating aura that surrounded him.

A towering figure in the Non League sphere and a truly one-of-a-kind character. The reminiscences and anecdotes at his funeral should be priceless.

Someone should have tapped into his career and memories and written a book about his exploits long ago. Perhaps a special one-off Robins Review could be compiled and produced in his honour?

Let's win the FA Trophy as a fitting tribute to him and his legacy.

He remains immortal in my mind, dominating the pitch in those red-and-white stripes.

"O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills,
For you bouquets and ribbon’d wreaths—for you the shores a-crowding,
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning."

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2023, 09:17:01 PM »

Probably the single most iconic figure in my time watching Altrincham, who achieved so much in different roles.
i am sure everybody knows, but he captained us to two Alliance Premier League championships and FA Trophy win,managed us to another FA Trophy win and our best ever run in the FA Cup, and even played a major part in saving the club's existence as a director. What achievements  (and I have left several out) and what  a character too!
RIP.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2023, 09:21:31 PM »

Hard to follow all these wonderful tributes and memories .  One of the most influential players we've ever had , one of the best managers we've ever had , one of the most popular ever and last but not least and in a class of his own , THE greatest and most iconic legend in the clubs history .  King John will live forever in the hearts and minds of all of us lucky enough to be around when he ruled his kingdom unaposed . He was an absolute Goliath in every sense of the word . The club should surely mark the passing of the great man with a suitable tribute , be it a stand name , sports hall or the ultimate statue , his status of the GOAT ( greatest of all time ) must merit a lasting memorial in his honour.
  What a hero , what a legend , what a man .  Long live the King of Altrincham F.C.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2023, 09:27:33 PM »

Very sad news for all Altrincham  supporters, and for me he ranks alongside the likes of Swindells as a true Alty great.

Worth remembering that, whatever setbacks wev may sometimes face as a club, they absolutely pale into insignificance compared to the situation we faced in the Spring of 1995, when, if it hadn't been for King's intervention the club may very well have closed down, and he made a last-ditch effort to persuade John Maunders not to close the club. I will always be grateful for his actions then, which for me remain the defining event of the time since I started following Altrincham in 1990.

He was always one for quips, and back when the first Rocky Robin mascot arrived in the 90s (with which I had some involvement), upon the opening of the package in which it arrived, he insisted to us all that it was a chicken!

I might add that he was also the toughest opponent I ever faced when we were on opposite sides in a staff v. supporters game, some considerable time after he had retired. He may well be the toughest opponent that a lot of semi-pro (and even professional) players faced too.

Whilst I mourn the loss, I will always treasure the memories. May he rest in peace.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2023, 10:18:56 PM »

A very very dark day for Altrincham FC.

There may very well have been greater legends in our long history, but I can't remember any in my lifetime.

RIP Johnny King
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Johnny King R. I. P.