PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wrexham Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Wrexham Match Thread  (Read 14103 times)

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Wrexham Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2023, 08:17:46 PM »

What was the crowd v Leyton Orient in the FA Cup? My Dad said it was absolutely rammed for that game.

It was very snug on the Chequers End, as I recall!

It was.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2023, 08:18:13 PM »

Is that the biggest crowd ever for a league game then? I'm sure the biggest crowd ever was Blackburn in the cup in 1974 (?). Something like 8000+, which seems very scary now, and I was there!

*According to Wiki Record attendance: 10,275, Altrincham Boys vs Sunderland Boys, 28 February 1925[19]

The attendance at Moss Lane for the FA Cup Second Round replay against Blackburn Rovers on Wednesday, 19th December 1973 was 5,021.

That game had a kick-off time of 1:15pm.
Ah yes bang on , thanks  , similar crowds against Crewe and Sheff Utd later on .

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2023, 08:21:10 PM »

Wow.
I'd got it into my head that it was 7700 but as I wasn't sure, I said 7k+.
I didn't think it was that high but, as there was no segregation in those days, I do remember the "traffic jams" in the middle of the popular side when we all changed ends at half time!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2023, 08:22:21 PM »

What was the crowd v Leyton Orient in the FA Cup? My Dad said it was absolutely rammed for that game.

It was very snug on the Chequers End, as I recall!

Thanks for that, Barry. Yes, I imagine it was a bit of a tight squeeze with that many in!
Come on Alty!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2023, 08:28:55 PM »

So, Barry, as you're the records man, would you say I was correct in saying the Barrow game was our record fa cup crowd?

PS. I didn't just say 'Cup' as I positive there were more at the second leg of the Cheshire Senior Cup final vs Strolling Ken Barnes's Witton Albion (whatever the official figures were!)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2023, 08:33:06 PM »

Wow.
I didn't think it was that high but, as there was no segregation in those days, I do remember the "traffic jams" in the middle of the popular side when we all changed ends at half time!
Bloody hell , what a crowd !!! What a throwback , those change of ends were fun back then , wonder that crowd did'nt spill onto the pitch . Slightly before i started going as you know , but did'nt a gobby geezer called Ron McGarry score their winner .

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2023, 08:49:11 PM »

Wow.

Bloody hell , what a crowd !!! What a throwback , those change of ends were fun back then , wonder that crowd did'nt spill onto the pitch . Slightly before i started going as you know , but did'nt a gobby geezer called Ron McGarry score their winner .

Excerpt from one of my When We Were Kings programme articles (which were written in 2010/11):

"I sincerely hope that I am not tempting fate by citing the statistic that Barrow have accomplished only three victories at Moss Lane from a total of 31 post World War II visits to date.

The first of this trio of rare away wins occurred in an FA Cup Second Round tie back on 6th January 1968. At that juncture, the Holker Street side were under the guidance of player-manager Colin Appleton and lying in 13th position in the old English Third Division. Notwithstanding the former Oldham Athletic and Stockport County striker Bert Lister scoring a first minute goal for the Robins, Barrow eventually progressed to a Third Round home tie with Leicester City courtesy of two strikes in the 22nd and 42nd minutes respectively by Ron “Cassius” McGarry (a flamboyant character who reportedly once had his business cards printed with the legend: "Have goals, will travel") in front of an attendance of 8,462.

Incidentally, the Robins’ pre-match preparation for that fixture consisted of an overnight stay for the squad at The Bowdon Hotel on the Friday, which was preceded by manager Freddie Pye leading his players en masse to Hale Cinema in order to watch Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor in The Taming Of The Shrew. I wonder whether Graham Heathcote has ever contemplated using a dose of Shakespeare as a pre-match motivational aid for inspiring his players…..?"

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2023, 08:56:43 PM »

So, Barry, as you're the records man, would you say I was correct in saying the Barrow game was our record fa cup crowd?

PS. I didn't just say 'Cup' as I positive there were more at the second leg of the Cheshire Senior Cup final vs Strolling Ken Barnes's Witton Albion (whatever the official figures were!)

At Moss Lane post-World War II, I'd say 'yes'.

And unlikely to be surpassed.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2023, 09:10:07 PM »

Wow.

Excerpt from one of my When We Were Kings programme articles (which were written in 2010/11):

"I sincerely hope that I am not tempting fate by citing the statistic that Barrow have accomplished only three victories at Moss Lane from a total of 31 post World War II visits to date.

The first of this trio of rare away wins occurred in an FA Cup Second Round tie back on 6th January 1968. At that juncture, the Holker Street side were under the guidance of player-manager Colin Appleton and lying in 13th position in the old English Third Division. Notwithstanding the former Oldham Athletic and Stockport County striker Bert Lister scoring a first minute goal for the Robins, Barrow eventually progressed to a Third Round home tie with Leicester City courtesy of two strikes in the 22nd and 42nd minutes respectively by Ron “Cassius” McGarry (a flamboyant character who reportedly once had his business cards printed with the legend: "Have goals, will travel") in front of an attendance of 8,462.

Incidentally, the Robins’ pre-match preparation for that fixture consisted of an overnight stay for the squad at The Bowdon Hotel on the Friday, which was preceded by manager Freddie Pye leading his players en masse to Hale Cinema in order to watch Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor in The Taming Of The Shrew. I wonder whether Graham Heathcote has ever contemplated using a dose of Shakespeare as a pre-match motivational aid for inspiring his players…..?"

Brilliant ! Thank you . I read all of your articles of course , some you just can't recall somehow ! Those mid to late sixties crowds were amazing and like you say unlikely to be repeated .

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2023, 09:14:40 PM »

At Moss Lane post-World War II, I'd say 'yes'.

And unlikely to be surpassed.

Yes. Very precise mate! Obviously excluding our 'home' games vs Everton (OT) and Spurs (Maine Road) 😉 👍

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2023, 09:43:41 PM »

i must be confusing the Blackburn and Orient crowd sizes (i was at both games). the blackburn replay was in the afternoon because of the three-day week during the miners strike with the early ko to avoid having to use the floodlights. we all bunked off school but got away with it. i've still not told my mum.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2023, 09:47:47 PM »

i must be confusing the Blackburn and Orient crowd sizes (i was at both games). the blackburn replay was in the afternoon because of the three-day week during the miners strike with the early ko to avoid having to use the floodlights. we all bunked off school but got away with it. i've still not told my mum.

Is your tea still waiting on the table for you?
 >:(

Scamp!

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2023, 09:17:24 AM »

Overall a great day for the club barring the result. Listening to Parky, both JJ and Lundstram were unwell prior to the game, but played. You could not have told.

Thought we deserved a point, but just outdone. Defensively we were pretty good, but there is room for improvement. Hope Ollie continues to improve.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2023, 12:26:57 PM »

i was at both games,it was a great atmostphere for them both.i was at my usual spot just to the right hand side of the goal post in the moss lane end.
Harold
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wrexham Match Thread