PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wrexham Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Wrexham Match Thread  (Read 14092 times)

TheGolfRoadView

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
Re: Wrexham Match Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2023, 02:02:03 PM »

Agreed it did. Not sure why they have such a small distance between home and away fans there, it just attracts idiots on both sides of the fencing. Enlarge it and that may help reduce the issues. Always a bit of a mystery why when there are police in the ground, like last night, there are never any there, when that seems to be such an obvious potential flashpoint area.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2023, 02:38:41 PM »

Agreed it did. Not sure why they have such a small distance between home and away fans there, it just attracts idiots on both sides of the fencing. Enlarge it and that may help reduce the issues. Always a bit of a mystery why when there are police in the ground, like last night, there are never any there, when that seems to be such an obvious potential flashpoint area.

If often takes a minimal, but obvious, police presence in the right area to stop that. Two officers in that area would have been ideal. Having said that, 4865 people with generally excellent behaviour.

TheGolfRoadView

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2023, 04:22:20 PM »

Agree yes and rather randomly what seemed to be the only incident, the pitch invader after we scored, was a Scottish bloke on a stag do!

finnquark1

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2023, 05:52:44 PM »

In the equivalent games last season, we took 16 points from our remaining league games (with the addition of an extra game vs York). That involves swapping Lynn at Home for Gateshead, and Dover away for Dorking - both of those are now much harder fixtures. This site predicts the league table using some unknown model, and has us finishing 19th, 2 points clear of relegation: https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/national-league/league-table/predicted

Thought we were really good yesterday, given all the turnover, and really liked Cashman in particular. But we need these arrivals to get match fit and gel, quickly. We didn't win any of the next 7 last season, and if that happens again this year we'll be sucked right into it.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2023, 06:05:32 PM »

Is that the biggest crowd ever for a league game then? I'm sure the biggest crowd ever was Blackburn in the cup in 1974 (?). Something like 8000+, which seems very scary now, and I was there!

*According to Wiki Record attendance: 10,275, Altrincham Boys vs Sunderland Boys, 28 February 1925[19]

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2023, 06:38:43 PM »

In the equivalent games last season, we took 16 points from our remaining league games (with the addition of an extra game vs York). That involves swapping Lynn at Home for Gateshead, and Dover away for Dorking - both of those are now much harder fixtures. This site predicts the league table using some unknown model, and has us finishing 19th, 2 points clear of relegation: https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/national-league/league-table/predicted

Thought we were really good yesterday, given all the turnover, and really liked Cashman in particular. But we need these arrivals to get match fit and gel, quickly. We didn't win any of the next 7 last season, and if that happens again this year we'll be sucked right into it.

Yes, this makes a lot of sense.

I think 19th is about right given the upheaval, but agree too that finding the right combination from the multiple options we appear to have at present could easily propel us much higher than 19th.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2023, 07:29:56 PM »

Is that the biggest crowd ever for a league game then? I'm sure the biggest crowd ever was Blackburn in the cup in 1974 (?). Something like 8000+, which seems very scary now, and I was there!

*According to Wiki Record attendance: 10,275, Altrincham Boys vs Sunderland Boys, 28 February 1925[19]
Around 5,500 v Blackburn . Best league crowd i remember is against Macc here in 67/68  of 8,700 or so .

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2023, 07:39:55 PM »

What was the crowd v Leyton Orient in the FA Cup? My Dad said it was absolutely rammed for that game.
Come on Alty!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2023, 07:40:36 PM »

That’s interesting in that a lot of predicted tables just tend to be done roughly on a current points per game basis so no one moves very much.

But I think that could be more realistic, I hope we don’t leave it so tight though!!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2023, 07:50:36 PM »

What was the crowd v Leyton Orient in the FA Cup? My Dad said it was absolutely rammed for that game.

I thought the biggest fa cup crowd was the over 7k we got for the game with Barrow.
Never forget the exhilaration I felt when Bert Lister put us in the lead at the Red Robin Club end (as it was then).
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2023, 08:00:01 PM »

It was very snug on the Chequers End, as I recall!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2023, 08:05:46 PM »

The attendance at Moss Lane for the FA Cup Second Round replay against Blackburn Rovers on Wednesday, 19th December 1973 was 5,021.

That game had a kick-off time of 1:15pm.

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2023, 08:08:28 PM »

It was very snug on the Chequers End, as I recall!
Only time iv'e ever been squashed in at a home game , the Golf Rd was jam packed . The only spaces i recall was in the corner of the pop side / now fanzone area where the Orient fans were

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2023, 08:09:45 PM »

Yes, this makes a lot of sense.

I think 19th is about right given the upheaval, but agree too that finding the right combination from the multiple options we appear to have at present could easily propel us much higher than 19th.

It says we'll take a single point from Eastligh Gateshead SC**thorped Oldham and Dorking which I cant see, us failing to pick up more than a single point from,
It's all my fault.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2023, 08:09:54 PM »

I thought the biggest fa cup crowd was the over 7k we got for the game with Barrow.
Never forget the exhilaration I felt when Bert Lister put us in the lead at the Red Robin Club end (as it was then).

Brian,

The attendance for that FA Cup Second Round tie at Moss Lane back on Saturday, 6th January 1968 was 8,462.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wrexham Match Thread