Toby
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Toby  (Read 7768 times)

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Toby
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2023, 12:29:18 PM »

I liked Toby and I do wish him all the best with his future but I have always thought that he was not very well gifted with technical ability. I don't mean that he was completely without any vision or innovative skill, rather, that his never ending drive and effort is what defined him most of all.  He always seemed to give a minimum 101% effort and Alty fans love that characteristic.

Back in the day I remember an Alty player called Lennie Dickenson who played in the mid 70s and had a similar inspiring effect on the team of the time.  All  fellow 'Alty Codgers' will know who I mean.

I don't think that we have seen the end of Toby but I do suspect that we might find his name on the right hand side of the team sheet when he plays at Moss Lane in future.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2023, 12:35:46 PM »

I liked Toby and I do wish him all the best with his future but I have always thought that he was not very well gifted with technical ability. I don't mean that he was completely without any vision or innovative skill, rather, that his never ending drive and effort is what defined him most of all.  He always seemed to give a minimum 101% effort and Alty fans love that characteristic.

Back in the day I remember an Alty player called Lennie Dickenson who played in the mid 70s and had a similar inspiring effect on the team of the time.  All  fellow 'Alty Codgers' will know who I mean.

I don't think that we have seen the end of Toby but I do suspect that we might find his name on the right hand side of the team sheet when he plays at Moss Lane in future.

I take your point around his technical ability prior to this season - he stood out like a sore thumb when we played him in defensive midfield - however he took a considerable step up in level this season, and has looked like one of our strongest players with the ball at his feet.

He's clearly a very bright lad, he learns, and he's an incredible signing for Rochdale. Hopefully we got a sell-on in there, because there's no reason why he couldn't go a bit higher - but his first mission will be to keep them in the Football League, which I'm sure he'll back himself to do.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2023, 01:28:48 PM »

Reminds me a little bit of when Stuart Terry went to Northwich because he wanted to "play for a big club", something that became part of a chant that haunted him on his every return to Moss Lane.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2023, 01:58:00 PM »

He went to Rochdale and said "f**k Parky", He's Toby Mullarkey

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2023, 02:40:48 PM »

I take your point around his technical ability prior to this season - he stood out like a sore thumb when we played him in defensive midfield - however he took a considerable step up in level this season, and has looked like one of our strongest players with the ball at his feet.

He's clearly a very bright lad, he learns, and he's an incredible signing for Rochdale. Hopefully we got a sell-on in there, because there's no reason why he couldn't go a bit higher - but his first mission will be to keep them in the Football League, which I'm sure he'll back himself to do.

My Dad had a great Alty story that featured the legend Lennie Dickinson.  Too long to tell here but with my Dad recently passing away seeing your mention of LD reminded me of his funny story
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 02:42:49 PM by altyusa »

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2023, 03:10:05 PM »

Maybe Toby looked around him and decided he never knew who his team mates were going to be from one week to the next and didn't want to be at a club that gave the distinct impression it was making it up as it went along.

You make a fair point. Once the main man leaves a club then others sit-up and decide to follow.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2023, 03:27:13 PM »

Lennie Dickinson… Now  that brings back a few good memories, wasn’t he at Alty in the 60s rather than the 70s

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2023, 03:30:59 PM »

My (admitted leaky) memory tells me Lennie was with us in the mid 60's, left, and then came back (I think from Mossley) in the 70s.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2023, 04:07:26 PM »

My (admitted leaky) memory tells me Lennie was with us in the mid 60's, left, and then came back (I think from Mossley) in the 70s.

Fair point, I was a serving soldier during the 70s so didn’t get to many fixtures apart from when I was home on leave.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2023, 04:48:33 PM »

lenny was a midfielder in the nobby stiles style.
Harold

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2023, 05:28:23 PM »

Our captain when I made my debut as an Alty fan. Maybe others will correct me if I am wrong, but I do have a distinct memory of him trying to slide tackle an opposing player, and sliding into the their manager's dugout. Lennie was an uncompromising tackler, but also quite skilful. Saw him play many times in my first couple of seasons supporting Alty. Played with the likes of Peter Eales, Ivan Crossley, Stan Allen and the formidable Gerry Casey, plus John Hughes and Ian Morris. No wonder other teams were scared of us.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2023, 05:52:38 PM »

Not many players were frightened of Ian Morris, I would have thought! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2023, 05:57:58 PM »

Ian Morris I took to instantly, great player, ask any opposing left back.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2023, 06:08:52 PM »

He was great. And well protected by some of the more 'muscular' members of the team! 😉

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2023, 06:16:52 PM »

My Dad had a great Alty story that featured the legend Lennie Dickinson.  Too long to tell here but with my Dad recently passing away seeing your mention of LD reminded me of his funny story
I loved Lennie , cracking little player and great influence on our team of that era of his second spell here .  That mudfield trio of Heathcote , Pritchard and Dickenson were the perfect blend of creativety , strength and workrate with an abundance of skill to match .  Well remember a couple of Lennie ' specials ' , one belter in the cup win over Hartlepool and a superb diving header in a 3-0 league defeat of Wigan  no less .
 Would l9ve to hear that story re Lennie if you would kindly post it to me altyusa .

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Toby