PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Borehamwood Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Borehamwood Match Thread  (Read 11181 times)

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Borehamwood Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2023, 09:00:41 PM »

I can only assume that the club feel they have enough points on the board to stay up and will spend big in the summer. If so, it's a gamble which may prove disastrous. I'm very worried.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2023, 09:17:13 PM »

To go down, we would have to do pretty much as badly as in the first nine games, and for the rest of the season. I don't see that happening once the new players bed in (and with this in mind I hope they play on  Tuesday). And the club could always bring in further reinforcements if things were lookingbad. Boreham Wood did  look a class apart today. Other clubs won't be.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2023, 10:45:10 PM »

Only positive was the attendance

If we don't get 2 decent offensive players in we will be a relegation fight.

I hope they won't swear at everyone!

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2023, 11:01:44 PM »

Hi SW.  I saw Dave Furnival play!  Wasn’t he a Les Rigby signing?

I can’t remember USA it was a long time ago. I felt it was before Rigby but I’ve never been good at matching time and events past. He was terrible though no doubt about that.

The abject Furnival was signed for Alty by Les Rigby during the 1975/76 season.

He'd scored for fun at Lancaster City, but couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo when he joined us. Not long before him, we'd had a similar experience with Eric Shreeve who we signed from South Liverpool.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2023, 11:13:39 PM »

i knew Eric Shreeves brother Frank
Harold

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2023, 11:15:42 PM »

I remember Eric Shreeve too although I was probably only 10 or 11. Seem to remember his forte was the headed flick on from near post corners.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2023, 09:02:46 AM »

Big and strong were BW, very physical. If the referee was fair and stronger there excellent No5 would have been sent off with at least 4/5 bookable tackles/fouls he did. Overall they were better than us. But we did still create some chances and we need to be taking them, we lack quality in the final third, been said before and will be said again till we improve.

I like Ollie, but for corners and crosses he is poor. General shot stopping is pretty good.

Parky knows were not good enough, and I'm sure is trying to get better players in for us. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Personally once were through the next 6 weeks of matches I think we'll improve our points ratio, some tough games coming up. Hopefully will see Zak back in a month or so, think he's got good potential for us.

Wrexham will be tough, let's hope they have an off day.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2023, 09:11:31 AM »

I can only assume that the club feel they have enough points on the board to stay up and will spend big in the summer. If so, it's a gamble which may prove disastrous. I'm very worried.

It may be the case that we have enough of a cushion points wise to limp home and stay up. However, I can tell you exactly what happens to teams that do that the following season! They really f**king struggle. It’s a very dangerous thing to be complacent about.

It all does seem rather strange. I’m aware that sounding off about transfers is rather akin to the club saying hey look everybody we got x amount for Ryan Colclough and we’re going to spend it so raise your prices.

However, we are (again), 3 or 4 players short numbers wise, never mind quality. Last time I can remember the situation was this stark in that regards was the season we were relegated with Lee Sinnott.

Coincidentally we’ve got a spell of 5 home games out of 6 similar to that season too.

There must be moves afoot surely?

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2023, 10:07:50 AM »

John Laidlers league table is the key, we have done very well against teams below us but dont win against the top 10.  This looks ominous for the next month but should be ok in the long run.  We need to accept at the moment we are just about a bottom half team.  Full time football has not been bankrolled and i dont think the money is there to keep those top players, plus if they want to join us to be in the shop window for football league preventing anyone from moving really scuppers the plan.  I suspect we will see loan players or previously loaned players join in the next few weeks to fill.  Feels like the plans to progress fall on next year or the year after.  Any talk of playoffs as we offload strong players is daft though
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Strong summer needed

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2023, 03:03:57 PM »

I'm absolutely streaming

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2023, 06:57:38 PM »

Listening to Parky, he's clearly trying to bring fresh blood in. But its difficult. Sounds like Toby may be on way... Were transitioning again and its not what he wants but where we are.

Now talking about the reserves v Vauxhall as low on players and cannot risk first teamers for injury worries...

On Goodson, as I thought and mentioned, may get back after a month if fitness and promise coming through. Hope so.

Tougher times ahead.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Borehamwood Match Thread