PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Borehamwood Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Borehamwood Match Thread  (Read 11197 times)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Borehamwood Match Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2023, 06:46:00 PM »

I agree re. Dinanga but the fact is (and it is a fact) he has scored more goals than Jordan.

If only he scored more often than once in every 5 or 6 genuine opportunities he's presented with. He's a total waste of space at this level.

I don't know, I think the jury's still out on that. He's not John Brady maybe (or even Dickie "90 minutes" Landon"), but I did think he was getting into his stride a bit earlier this season before the loan signings restricted his game time. Alan Shearer often berates strikers for not taking a gamble to get on the end of crosses, and I agree it's a skill getting in those positions.

I think you might have got confused here Hugh, or I’m misreading your post, but if you think John Brady was a waste of space at conference level then I can’t help you. His 90/91 season is on a par with the best strikers in our history.

The only defence I can present for Mr. Cooper Your Honour is that his Alty watching may have started in the 91/92 season when Mr Brady’s morale and commitment had dipped somewhat before his November move to Barrow.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2023, 06:52:51 PM »

Only positive was the attendance

If we don't get 2 decent offensive players in we will be a relegation fight.
Full time and proud of it

AltyNotFaulty

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2023, 06:54:34 PM »

How did Dinanga play today when he came on.

Dinanga had one of his better games today. I wish I could say that for a couple of others. Once again we conceded two goals from set pieces - and yet again Byrne stayed rooted firmly to his line for both, and also when they struck the bar late in the first half.

I think we need a more experienced keeper, as well as the obvious striker.

I agree… I’m looking forward to the highlights! The kid is rooted on his line. No presence in the 6 yard box, no voice commanding the area and very poor distribution. Enough is enough!

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2023, 06:59:31 PM »

I got lambasted on here by some for daring to suggest we should keep our best players . We are about to lose the last 2 playmakers in the team .

Hold on tight . At least we are earning good interest on the money in the bank ....
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 07:01:16 PM by wayno »
ParkINson's red and white army

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2023, 07:03:19 PM »

I agree re. Dinanga but the fact is (and it is a fact) he has scored more goals than Jordan.
I get you but what a poor benchmark

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2023, 07:03:43 PM »

Can't see us going down but the rest of the season will be grim watching without the signings needed.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2023, 07:16:27 PM »

Can't see us going down but the rest of the season will be grim watching without the signings needed.

why? we haven't got enough points to be safe, we wont score with the personnell once con-clarke leaves and byrne won't keep another clean sheet
Full time and proud of it

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2023, 07:44:56 PM »

Hi SW.  I saw Dave Furnival play!  Wasn’t he a Les Rigby signing?

I can’t remember USA it was a long time ago. I felt it was before Rigby but I’ve never been good at matching time and events past. He was terrible though no doubt about that.

The abject Furnival was signed for Alty by Les Rigby during the 1975/76 season.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2023, 07:52:48 PM »

We are simply haemorrhaging quality players.

CCC reportedly heading back to Fleetwood and now rumours persist that we have may have seen the last of Mullarkey in an Alty shirt.

Meanwhile, we are lumbered with a powder-puff forward line and a goalkeeper who appears unable to command his area every time that we defend a corner.

Not exactly a formula for progression.

Wrexham loom on the horizon and then the Bracknell FA Trophy tie becomes pivotal in keeping our season alive.

I confess that I am rather perplexed by the club's strategy at present.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2023, 08:01:26 PM »

We are simply haemorrhaging quality players.

CCC reportedly heading back to Fleetwood and now rumours persist that we have may have seen the last of Mullarkey in an Alty shirt.

Meanwhile, we are lumbered with a powder-puff forward line and a goalkeeper who appears unable to command his area every time that we defend a corner.

Not exactly a formula for progression.

Wrexham loom on the horizon and then the Bracknell FA Trophy tie becomes pivotal in keeping our season alive.

I confess that I am rather perplexed by the club's strategy at present.
I agree completely with the last paragraph. We have gone full time making Incredible progress (much better to date than I expected) but at this time we are moving backwards and quickly

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2023, 08:13:23 PM »

There is certainly no hatred....he trys his best in my opinion and that 'best' proves not to be good enough at our level during 4 matches out of five.
It is not his fault he is selected. The club has failed miserably again to recruit a Conference  National level number 9. He and Hulme are our best sub-standard options at the moment.

To point out also that both Hulme and Dinanga would be considered to be top class in the division below. It is all about levels and we seem to have gambled on players stepping up and in this case it has not worked as well as hoped

Mick, I’d have to question whether Hulme in particular or Dinanga would be considered top class in the level below. Though you could give credence to Dinanga’s good spell at Dartford. I just think we may be assuming they’re better than they are.

I do still think there are players in them to be fair but the fact is, we have lost two players in Colclough and Newby (who was filling an empty gap) who simply must be replaced.

It’s a big step but we may need to spend money. We are simply operating at 82% of potential from November. That’s not good enough.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2023, 08:30:05 PM »

If only he scored more often than once in every 5 or 6 genuine opportunities he's presented with. He's a total waste of space at this level.

I don't know, I think the jury's still out on that. He's not John Brady maybe (or even Dickie "90 minutes" Landon"), but I did think he was getting into his stride a bit earlier this season before the loan signings restricted his game time. Alan Shearer often berates strikers for not taking a gamble to get on the end of crosses, and I agree it's a skill getting in those positions.

I think you might have got confused here Hugh, or I’m misreading your post, but if you think John Brady was a waste of space at conference level then I can’t help you. His 90/91 season is on a par with the best strikers in our history.

The only defence I can present for Mr. Cooper Your Honour is that his Alty watching may have started in the 91/92 season when Mr Brady’s morale and commitment had dipped somewhat before his November move to Barrow.

No that's not what I meant! Dinanga's not in the class of Brady or Landon (in shots per goal ratio) but was starting to look the part earlier this season.

I was watching the Barnet match again only the other night ( still one of the best games I've attended). A great finish by Brady for the first goal. I was actually going to post about this, and how his contribution sometimes gets overlooked. Very nearly a brilliant goal by Gary Anderson in that game by the way.

I should also add that I just twigged watching that again that Tony Incenzo of Sportscast that day must be the same guy now writing for the NLP.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 08:34:06 PM by Hugh »

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2023, 08:30:46 PM »

Fair comment Ballers.......just think both would do well / have done well a league below
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2023, 08:46:20 PM »

I have an acquaintance who is a Dartford fan. He would have Dinanga back in a heartbeat, they loved him there, whether it is levels, confidence or players around him I’m not sure.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2023, 08:50:04 PM »

There is certainly no hatred....he trys his best in my opinion and that 'best' proves not to be good enough at our level during 4 matches out of five.
It is not his fault he is selected. The club has failed miserably again to recruit a Conference  National level number 9. He and Hulme are our best sub-standard options at the moment.

To point out also that both Hulme and Dinanga would be considered to be top class in the division below. It is all about levels and we seem to have gambled on players stepping up and in this case it has not worked as well as hoped

Mick, I’d have to question whether Hulme in particular or Dinanga would be considered top class in the level below. Though you could give credence to Dinanga’s good spell at Dartford. I just think we may be assuming they’re better than they are.

I do still think there are players in them to be fair but the fact is, we have lost two players in Colclough and Newby (who was filling an empty gap) who simply must be replaced.

It’s a big step but we may need to spend money. We are simply operating at 82% of potential from November. That’s not good enough.

Speaking of which, when did we last spend money on a player (to your knowledge)? We have the money from Colclough, plus presumably a substantial amount for Mullarkey if he goes to Grimsby or someone (though I will assume he's staying until the club say otherwise), we have crowds of two thousand. Now is surely the time to put in a good bid if the right player is available. If not now, when?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Borehamwood Match Thread