PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Borehamwood Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Borehamwood Match Thread  (Read 11198 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Borehamwood Match Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2023, 09:50:45 PM »

He could well be the worst Alty player I've ever seen and I've seen some bad ones in my time.

This is clearly absolute nonsense.
I'd be interested if you could tell me the players I've seen here that have been worse.

I don't know how far back you go or if you are just including strikers, but was Micky Hayde really better? I'll hazard a guess he didn't score six goals anyway.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2023, 09:57:59 PM »

Now I have to admit I can only go from RR commentaries and highlights.

I don't think Dinanga has hot the heights of earlier in the season when he was not just scoring goals, but doing some decent work in build ups.
A plus is that he is getting into good positions, but not taking advantage of them enough, and too often getting into offside positions, which shows a lack of footballing intelligence.
Like CR7, Dinanga needs a lot of chances to get the goals, but, maybe, lacks some of CR7's other skills!!!!!
I think he needs game time (which he got on loan), but does not seem to come up to the standard to get that game time.
He is not a bad player, cannot judge him on lazyness, but imho is a subs bench/impact player.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2023, 10:04:45 PM »

He certainly had an impact when he came on at Halifax!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2023, 10:05:54 PM »

He certainly had an impact when he came on at Halifax!

Touché! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2023, 10:07:23 PM »

There is certainly no hatred....he trys his best in my opinion and that 'best' proves not to be good enough at our level during 4 matches out of five.
It is not his fault he is selected. The club has failed miserably again to recruit a Conference  National level number 9. He and Hulme are our best sub-standard options at the moment.

An entirely accurate synopsis, in my view, particularly that highlighted sentence.

The litany of misfiring signings in that department has been immensely dispiriting.

We've undoubtedly had worse 'strikers' than Dinanga but I seriously hope that we will be able to upgrade on him during the summer or else we could all be having the same discussion again this time next year.

According to the sometimes reliable BBC, Dinanga has scored five goals this season, clocking in at 247 minutes per goal. Of the players we have available, only CCC is close.

To put that into some sort of perspective, according to the NLP a couple of weeks back, Altrincham's top scorers for the season at the time were Colclough and CCC, both on seven. For the whole of the season so far, Bennett and Newby easily have the best minutes per goal ratio. Meanwhile, Chesterfield's leading scorer at the time (and I was surprised to read this) was also on seven goals. There's a lot of well-funded clubs looking for a good NL number nine...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 10:16:56 PM by Hugh »

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2023, 10:29:31 PM »

Wasn't Micky Hayde a fullback ?
I met him at Worcester prison (he was a prison officer and I was doing a building survey-honest  :-X) top bloke, a poor mans Clive Freeman.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2023, 11:27:08 PM »

Yes, hence the caveat about strikers. And I don't doubt that he was a lovely bloke (and probably quite thick skinned). But better than Dinanga?

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2023, 10:03:39 AM »

Every team has players that play one or two games and are never seen again. The issue here is that Dinanga has been playing regularly for an extended period of time.

andrewflynn

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2023, 10:05:17 AM »

You’re moving the goalposts.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2023, 10:17:00 AM »

No. I still stick by my original point. Don't actually remember many of the players mentioned here but the ones I do weren't any worse.
Hence I mentioned in my original post 'players I've seen'. I also stated a couple of posts back that not many of those players had played many games.
Just carrying on a theme.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 10:42:26 AM by chesteralty »

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2023, 10:42:30 AM »

Did you follow Alty when we were relegated to the glue league?

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2023, 10:53:27 AM »

I did. Might be harder to compare bearing in mind the standard of the opposition.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2023, 11:56:45 AM »

Some of our present squad are not good enough for the National League. Most of the squad relegated to the glue league were not good enough for Conference North.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2023, 12:52:52 PM »

He could well be the worst Alty player I've ever seen and I've seen some bad ones in my time.

This is clearly absolute nonsense.
I'd be interested if you could tell me the players I've seen here that have been worse.

I don't know how far back you go or if you are just including strikers, but was Micky Hayde really better? I'll hazard a guess he didn't score six goals anyway.

Mick Hayde is a bit of an odd choice of name to pluck out of the hat in this context.

Admittedly, he possessed relatively limited ability but I recall him as an honest trier and a functional performer in Gerry Quinn's Alty teams.

We've witnessed far worse individuals than him wearing an Alty shirt.

I'm rather surprised that the dreaded name of Michael Twiss hasn't been dropped into this conversation.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2023, 01:16:59 PM »

Or Peter Frankish.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Borehamwood Match Thread