PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Bromley Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Bromley Match Thread  (Read 9228 times)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Bromley Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2023, 03:39:51 PM »

Seems like we're fated not to sneak into the play off spots just yet. 😕
Just as well really. You know how we all get carried away! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2023, 04:00:28 PM »

Really disappointed.  Was looking forward to this game before flying back to the USA tomorrow.  Never thought it might be off given the new pitch!  Anyone know if I can get online ticket purchase refunded?

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2023, 04:11:42 PM »

Really disappointed.  Was looking forward to this game before flying back to the USA tomorrow.  Never thought it might be off given the new pitch!  Anyone know if I can get online ticket purchase refunded?

I would like to think that given your circumstances you would be refunded your ticket money. I would be surprised if they didnt refund you.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2023, 06:12:59 PM »

I was inspecting the pitches on Long Hey this morning at about 9.15.
Damp but eminently playable.
Stood there watching puddles form then until just after 9.40 having taken refuge in the car.
Went back out 9.55 and it looked like a rice paddy.
Standing water also right across Thorley Lane

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2023, 07:51:01 PM »

I didn't think that the pitch looked that great against either Curzon Ashton or Halifax, especially an area directly in front of the main stand.

I wonder if having those covers on that particular section of the pitch during that recent cold spell has actually impaired the quality of the surface?

Here's an image of the pitch today, as posted on Bromley FC's Twitter account:

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

beaker141

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2023, 09:16:54 PM »

I was inspecting the pitches on Long Hey this morning at about 9.15.
Damp but eminently playable.
Stood there watching puddles form then until just after 9.40 having taken refuge in the car.
Went back out 9.55 and it looked like a rice paddy.
Standing water also right across Thorley Lane

Thanks ATS - we made the decision for the junior club on Friday that it seemed ok for the weekend, but youre right, the amount that fell really quickly changed Longhey very quickly from assuming it was fine, to a no play situation. Hopefully Sunday will be playable - depending on what comes down overnight.

beaker141

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2023, 09:20:36 PM »

We have rightly cricised other clubs for calling games off late and for what happened at Halifax on NYD, but we're clearly not much better, even more so when we are playing a team from some distance away. You would assume Bromley travelled up yesterday, but when you know their fans would be having an early start, surely you would have procedures in place to have an early inspection if required. Bit of a shambles.

TBF Halifax after stating earlier in the day that there would be no need for a pitch inspection then gave out zero information on their official channels for 5 hours & only confirmed it was on 40 minutes before KO & that KO was being put back by 15 minutes. I know it’s no defence for their 30 or so Bromley fans who will have come up today but the rain from about 9-10 round here this morning was spectacular so a 0900 pitch inspection wouldn’t have been much use anyway. This is the first time too tbf that I can think our relaid pitch has let us down. I feel for Bromley but don’t quite agree with all the FUME I’m seeing on the Twitter.

Thats a very fair assesment Sarf London - I was at the ground before 10 and concern had set in after the deluge - Kiosk catering waited until 11am where we had to make a go / no go decision on starting to prep and cook for the game, knowing there was a pitch inspection at 12:30, we optimistically went for on, but it wasnt to be :-(

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2023, 10:15:06 PM »

We have rightly cricised other clubs for calling games off late and for what happened at Halifax on NYD, but we're clearly not much better, even more so when we are playing a team from some distance away. You would assume Bromley travelled up yesterday, but when you know their fans would be having an early start, surely you would have procedures in place to have an early inspection if required. Bit of a shambles.

TBF Halifax after stating earlier in the day that there would be no need for a pitch inspection then gave out zero information on their official channels for 5 hours & only confirmed it was on 40 minutes before KO & that KO was being put back by 15 minutes. I know it’s no defence for their 30 or so Bromley fans who will have come up today but the rain from about 9-10 round here this morning was spectacular so a 0900 pitch inspection wouldn’t have been much use anyway. This is the first time too tbf that I can think our relaid pitch has let us down. I feel for Bromley but don’t quite agree with all the FUME I’m seeing on the Twitter.

Thats a very fair assesment Sarf London - I was at the ground before 10 and concern had set in after the deluge - Kiosk catering waited until 11am where we had to make a go / no go decision on starting to prep and cook for the game, knowing there was a pitch inspection at 12:30, we optimistically went for on, but it wasnt to be :-(

Wait - you knew there was going to be a 12.30 pitch inspection from 11AM. Not down to you, but why on earth was the possibility of an inspection not announced until 12? It wouldn't have helped the travelling Bromley fans, but I know some "semi-local" fans had wasted journeys, and could have made their own judgements earlier, and at least held on a bit longer before commencing a journey.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2023, 12:38:32 AM »

Wait - you knew there was going to be a 12.30 pitch inspection from 11AM. Not down to you, but why on earth was the possibility of an inspection not announced until 12? It wouldn't have helped the travelling Bromley fans, but I know some "semi-local" fans had wasted journeys, and could have made their own judgements earlier, and at least held on a bit longer before commencing a journey.

As a volunteer, Who got an early morning call to to get out of bed to try and get the game on and Bromley had arrived the night before, we did our best. The ref at 12-30 said no.
Just speaking for myself. The forecast said 8mm last night, but we got 16mm, most of it was at 9am this morning, you can’t go to Tesco and ask a ref to do a pitch inspection.
After some comments made by some on Twitter and this site, I’m thinking of quitting and leaving up to them.
Remember, ALTY wouldn’t survive without volunteers.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2023, 12:50:00 AM »

As a volunteer, Who got an early morning call to to get out of bed to try and get the game on and Bromley had arrived the night before, we did our best. The ref at 12-30 said no.
Just speaking for myself. The forecast said 8mm last night, but we got 16mm, most of it was at 9am this morning, you can’t go to Tesco and ask a ref to do a pitch inspection.
After some comments made by some on Twitter and this site, I’m thinking of quitting and leaving up to them.

Good post B4D .. I for one appreciate what you guys do to keep the pitch in good order. It doesn’t matter how good pitches are, if Mother Nature hits, then you are at her mercy.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bromley stayed up here as they are playing Wrexham on Tuesday.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2023, 05:07:28 AM »

This isn't about volunteers and their efforts to clear the pitch, it's about a new drainage system that clearly isn't working in that area of the pitch. That standing water visible in the photo should have run away by the time the photo was taken. Yes the pitch might have been soft and and not really suitable to play on, but it shouldn't have puddles on it.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2023, 09:47:03 AM »

There is no criticism of the volunteers from me, at least. The fact that the inspection took people by surprise may even be a tribute as  most had no suspicion that the game would be off.
However, one of the main advantages of social media is that it saves volunteers from having to field telephone calls every few minutes to ask if the game is on. If it's known at 1100 that there will be an inspection at 1230, and fair enough if it can't be done earlier, then it should be posted then and not be delayed until 1200. At least Halifax thought it was worthwhile to post an update in the morning, although it was incorrect! 

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2023, 10:03:11 AM »

I was actually parking up ready to go to The Good Catch for lunch as is my normal routine when I was advised by a chap coming out of the Ground that it was off.
Despite the conditions I described earlier at Long Hey, I hadn't for a second considered that the pitch would hold water

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2023, 11:07:18 AM »

90% of thr criticism is aimed at the clubs comms.

All said above could have bee relayed.
It's all my fault.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2023, 03:02:00 PM »

To criticise the pitch I think is unreasonable. It's a million times better than it used to be - as we all know - but that doesn't mean it's bloody indestructible.

But for me its the naivety as much as the comms. I was surprised to be the first poster on the matter earlier in this thread, becuase to me it looked pretty doubtful based on the forecast all the way from Friday evening to Saturday noon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Bromley Match Thread