Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Astonishing rare footage of Alty v Everton: FA Cup Third Round replay - 7/1/1975
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Astonishing rare footage of Alty v Everton: FA Cup Third Round replay - 7/1/1975  (Read 3971 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

For the benefit of those on here who don't venture into the world of Twitter, here's a link to some amazing footage that Inter Alty (alias Phil James) has unearthed almost 48 years on from that Tuesday evening when Alty played against Everton at Old Trafford.

I don't recall ever seeing this footage previously.

Incidentally, that's still Alty's finest kit:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1610412486838345728
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

andrewflynn

Stunning footage.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Saw the game at goodison but missed the replay as my eldest daughter was born on the sixth.
She's 48 on Friday ... Makes you feel old doesn't it?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

nimeta

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile

Brilliant footage. Some very dodgy hairstyles...hope the players concerned were suitably ashamed for years afterwards :)

It was amazing to see how tightly packed the Everton fans were and their reaction after the first goal....those were very different days to be a football fan. And for the second goal, in front of the Alty fans....well it seems a lot of home tickets were sold that night. Anyone able to hazard a guess how many Alty fans were there ?

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Great memories of my first Alty match, I didn't have a clue what was going on to be honest, but have been hooked ever since.

Dad & Grandad never did manage to convert me to Utd.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

weren't there something like 34,000 there that night in the days when you could just walk/bus/train it to a game with your mates just when you felt like it?
interesting to see they borrowed the moss lane floodlights for the night.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Looked more like the old Bishop Auckland floodlights (ironically they later got some floodlights from United)!

35,530 at OT - see the Twitter comments. I knew someone from Salford, a United fan really but talked about Salford City sometimes (this was before they went big time) who was there. There must be loads of people out there who were at the game. Apparently a lot of Heathcote's fellow dockers were at the game. Considering though that Alty apparently took 10,000 down to Middlesex in 1978, presumably there were plenty of people who went to other Alty games too.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Brilliant piece of our history , thank you . So many great memories of the tie especially of course at Goodison .  First time i saw us in the Third Round and v the Division One leaders !  The draws were always so kind to us back in those days !!  The kit , like cult says, was tops , can't say the same about those cheap looking tracky tops which i believe we ditched after the 2 games .They were supplied by Urmston based ⁵Attack Sports .....never heard of them before or since .   Following the replay and all that excitement we went out of the Trophy to Brian Tilers Wigan 3- 1 , a fair result , then back to league action at home against the likes of Worksop ( 1- 1 i think ) brought us quickly back down to earth.

For the benefit of those on here who don't venture into the world of Twitter, here's a link to some amazing footage that Inter Alty (alias Phil James) has unearthed almost 48 years on from that Tuesday evening when Alty played against Everton at Old Trafford.

I don't recall ever seeing this footage previously.

Incidentally, that's still Alty's finest kit:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1610412486838345728

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Oops don't know what happened there , probs my fat fingers 🤔

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I might add that Peter Hennerley (God rest him) related how he was working in Liverpool at the time, and after the match when he went back to work was just punching the air enjoying the moment after all the stick he got for supporting Alty. I can't remember if it was the Everton tie or Liverpool when Stoke City were also playing in the City leading to an implausibly large amount of red and white in Liverpool.

Incidentally didn't Altrincham briefly play in red shorts more recently? I'm sure they did white shorts at one point too.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Great find that!

Thank you!

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile

Incidentally didn't Altrincham briefly play in red shorts more recently? I'm sure they did white shorts at one point too.

Last time was the NLN playoff final against Boston

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Mick Lyons scoring Everton's second goal:

« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 07:03:46 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Apparently a lot of Heathcote's fellow dockers were at the game.

Graham Heathcote never worked as a docker!

I seem to recall that he was a one-time employee in the head office of the Manchester Ship Canal Company, located in Trafford Park.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Astonishing rare footage of Alty v Everton: FA Cup Third Round replay - 7/1/1975