PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 CSC Stockport out
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: CSC Stockport out  (Read 8574 times)

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: CSC Stockport out
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2023, 08:33:45 AM »

Macc, Nantwich, Congleton, Us, Vauxhall, Stalybridge or Cammell Laird, Runcorn or Winsford and Crewe or Witton.

Would quite like Congleton or Crewe (A) for a ground tick
It's all my fault.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2023, 08:01:01 PM »

Speaking of Congleton, can anyone confirm if a young Kevin Ellison played for us there in a friendly? I think it would have been about the right time. Astonishing to think he's still playing now (for Liverpool, last I heard).

Crewe would appear to be our biggest threat, I remember their young players properly taking us to task in a friendly four or five years ago. However the newly formed Macclesfield club are not to be underestimated, and II'm sure they'll be taking it seriously, certainly if they play us.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2023, 08:16:17 PM »

Speaking of Congleton, can anyone confirm if a young Kevin Ellison played for us there in a friendly? I think it would have been about the right time.

The last pre-season friendly we played against Congleton that I can find was a 1-1 draw on 1st August 1998 i.e. prior to Ellison signing for Alty.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2023, 08:29:43 PM »

Yes, it must have been about 1999 he signed, I saw him at the Crabble that season I think (1999-2000) (as related n the short-lived Moss Lane Mouth - the days before wide-spread (anti-?)social media (although there was the mailing list)!. Perhaps it was at Connah's Quay United I saw him in a friendly. Didn't he come from a Welsh club too?

We should have stayed up that season but Brendan Burke and Stuart Coburn got injured as I recall, and the rest is history - though whether staying up would have made any difference to what happened next (re. debt etc.) I don't know.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 08:39:06 PM by Hugh »

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2023, 07:39:34 PM »

https://www.vauxhallmotorsfc.co.uk/motors-face-altrincham-in-csc/

Blimey! Love it when life serves up a result. I will be Liverpool for work that day, there's bonus Alty game. Fabtastic.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2023, 08:22:06 PM »

some random observations thrown up by this thread.

the fixture at vauxhall reminds me how much i miss the regular local away games the lower divisions served up (heresy to admit i know)
i remember kevin ellison's first alty game pre-season at flixton on a very hot day and him immediately taking his boots off when substituted due to blisters.
and finding myself standing standing next to a very smartly suited brendan burke at the bar of the finnegan's wake pub (previously and latterly the brunswick) in manchester, and lacking the courage to say, "hey, you're brendan burke and you play for alty".

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2023, 09:54:32 PM »

Speaking of which, what was that Irish pub called at what used to be the Pig And Porcupine? Possibly Kelly's bar (the first Irish pub  in Alty?)? I got thrown out once for "talking to the tv...)

The switch to Hooton suggests to me that if we are "lucky" enough to be drawn against the newly formed Macclesfield club in a later stage of the competition, it may well be switched too.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2023, 10:01:55 PM »

Suits me. Don't care where we beat them.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2023, 10:02:52 PM »

PS. Vauxhall Motors is less than six miles away! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2023, 10:05:46 PM »

the fixture at vauxhall reminds me how much i miss the regular local away games the lower divisions served up (heresy to admit i know)
i remember kevin ellison's first alty game pre-season at flixton on a very hot day and him immediately taking his boots off when substituted due to blisters.
and finding myself standing standing next to a very smartly suited brendan burke at the bar of the finnegan's wake pub (previously and latterly the brunswick) in manchester, and lacking the courage to say, "hey, you're brendan burke and you play for alty".

Agreed. Think it was 91-92 when Alty, Witton, Vics, Runcorn, Macc & Stalybridge were all in the Conference or in more recent times we had Stockport, Curzon, FCUM, Salford in the North. You could only really consider Oldham as ‘local’ this season & maybe Fax & Wrexham at a push. Does impact the travelling support & younger lads getting the bug when the average away day is a tine consuming & expensive trek down to London.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2023, 10:07:38 PM »

Speaking of which, what was that Irish pub called at what used to be the Pig And Porcupine? Possibly Kelly's bar (the first Irish pub  in Alty?)? I got thrown out once for "talking to the tv...)

The switch to Hooton suggests to me that if we are "lucky" enough to be drawn against the newly formed Macclesfield club in a later stage of the competition, it may well be switched too.

Kelly’s bar yes. And yes if we & Macc are drawn together definitely play it on their 3G plastic pitch to save on wear & tear on our pitch. A plastic pitch for a plastic club-suits them.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2023, 11:34:11 PM »

Brendan once worked at the old Natwest Bank in Blackley village , always had a chat with him , lovely guy and decent player too though had his best spell at Mossley .

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2023, 12:47:07 AM »

Kelly’s bar yes. And yes if we & Macc are drawn together definitely play it on their 3G plastic pitch to save on wear & tear on our pitch. A plastic pitch for a plastic club-suits them.

After its life as a pub it had a very short life as an overpriced fish and chips restaurant. The building has since been empty for a number of years.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2023, 03:34:54 AM »

when it first opened (1976ish) when the whole development was built wasn't it called the axe and cleaver after the old pub that stood on the corner of lower george st and kingsway? and the fish and chip restaurant was bentley's i think.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 CSC Stockport out