PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 16,511 at Notts vs Yeovil yesterday.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 16,511 at Notts vs Yeovil yesterday.  (Read 6327 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: 16,511 at Notts vs Yeovil yesterday.
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2022, 10:34:09 PM »

And here’s a clip you might have seen from the 84/85 season. I’ve seen most of these but don’t remember this one.

Interesting for the younger lads* for the clips of the ground (and Alty town centre).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HYxHNioMZ7c

* they might not find it interesting to be fair 😂

I love the clip of Saint and Greavsie (probably also not interesting to the younger lads!). Also, note the wine bar advert in the Lincoln clip. And there was me thinking it was later they came to Altrincham...

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2022, 10:37:59 PM »

Not too many seasons later, Ipswich went on to win the football league, arguably the most remarkable football league win.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2022, 10:48:55 PM »

Not too many seasons later, Ipswich went on to win the football league, arguably the most remarkable football league win.
Yes, Ipswich have a remarkable history, Up to 1935, they were in the Southern Amateur League, as distinct from the Southern League, playing league matches against teams including Civil Service, Barclays Bank and Lloyds Bank!

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2022, 11:57:15 PM »

And here’s a clip you might have seen from the 84/85 season. I’ve seen most of these but don’t remember this one.

Interesting for the younger lads* for the clips of the ground (and Alty town centre).

Whatever happened to Stuart Hall?

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2022, 12:22:02 AM »

The 0-5 defeat at Lincoln was played in front of a crowd of 2720

The highest crowd in the first season of the APL was 4892 for Yeovil v Weymouth

The largest ever non-League crowd before Saturday was 16254 for Dulwich Hamlet v Nunhead in the Isthmian League in 1931.  Also until Saturday the  Midland League game between Peterborough United and Boston United in 1956 saw an attendance of 13341 and their game against Kings Lynn that same season had over 12000

I seem to remember Yeovil getting a crowd of around 8,000 one season when they were promoted to the Conference from the Isthmian league. And I know that the likes of Dulwich used to get some very high crowds in the Amateur Cup, or at least in the final. But our old rivals Wigan used to get some very high FA Cup crowds, so I assume they would have got a few pretty large crowds in their NPL days at some point - or indeed in the Cheshire League, which was really more of a North West/ North Midlands/ North Wales league (and it would be interesting to see a list of teams who played in the CL when it was one of the top leagues outside the FL).  Anyhow, Wigan must have been doing something right as they were the only Northern team to get elected to the FL after the end of the Third Division South and the more Southerly clubs apparently went all huffy about having to play "oop Narth".

Interestingly, last season (before the relegation of Oldham) the representation of Lancashire clubs in the Football League was as high as it had ever been - and non-existent in the National League!
Pretty sure the NPL record crowd was 8,107 at Wigan v Stafford in 1970 a week before their 1-0 defeat by City to a late Colin Bell goal in the FA Cup . In the previous round they beat Peterborough at Springfield Park before over 17,000 !  Gordon Milne's Wigan went on to win the NPL but did them no good at all at the Div 4 re - election farce , getting far fewer votes than Hereford who were Southern League runners up  !  Next season of course despiite them being runners up again , Hereford had that famous Cup run and got League election at the expense of Barrow who were sacrificed for other reasons as well as Herefords cup heroics  i.e. geographical location and also having that season installed a Speedway track which cut across the four corners of the pitch .
    Incidentally Hereford never did win the Southern League title and at best were 2nd on only 3 occasions . Crazy but true .

nimeta

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2022, 04:50:01 PM »

I love the clip of Saint and Greavsie (probably also not interesting to the younger lads!). Also, note the wine bar advert in the Lincoln clip. And there was me thinking it was later they came to Altrincham...

First time I think I ever saw the SC**thorpe keeper knee John King in the nuts. I was there that night as a kid....saw King go down but hadn't seen what had precisely happened as I was quite far away.

Happy days !!

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2022, 11:36:06 AM »

I was stood behind the goals at the Chequers End, as it was then; there was a lose ball in the box. Kingy ran towards Joe Neenan growling and aggressive. Neenan got to the ball just before him, but at the same time ensured his knee made contact with Kingy's meat and two veg. Kingy groaned and crumpled up on the floor in agony and the referee immediately pointed to the spot without hesitation. We were too busy celebrating the penalty award, but it was a fair bit of time before Kingy got up. Joe Neenan took umbrage as Kingy charged him, it must have been pretty intimidating!

The incident was fully mentioned in Ian Botham's autobiography, Joe Neenan was a close friend of Ian Botham. He did speak to Beefy a great deal afterwards as he contemplated being at fault for Scunny going out of the FA Cup. I can still see this happening in my mind's eye, I was directly behind the goal about 7ft away from the incident. I still remember shouting a loud 'Oy ref' when it happened.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2022, 07:05:31 PM »

I was also at the Chequers end Steve, however the incident happened in front of the Golf Road .

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2022, 07:23:35 PM »

Presumably there would have been segregation for these matches even then? I remember a story about a group of Rochdale supporters in the Golf Road End for their cup match here, but I'm not sure they were supposed to be there!

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2022, 04:03:58 PM »

I'm positive it was the chequers end, but I wonder if I am confusing it with the game where John Hughes scored in a 3-1 victory?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2022, 04:35:16 PM »

I'm positive it was the chequers end, but I wonder if I am confusing it with the game where John Hughes scored in a 3-1 victory?

I was in the stand and it definitely was at the golf road end.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2022, 05:28:24 PM »

There's literally footage of it happening at the Golf Rd End in the link above.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2022, 10:25:50 PM »

It was in front of the Golf Rd and there were about 100 SC**thorpe fans on the terrace too although they were rather quiet. Wasn’t segregated or if it was not properly.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2022, 12:37:02 PM »

I was to the right of the goal on the Golf Road that fantastic night. So many years ago!

Kingy was my absolute hero, to this young lad he was a colossus. Great memories.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2022, 02:28:30 PM »

Yep you're right I stand corrected, I was still behind the incident as I remember Kingy going down, but cannot see myself in the picture.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 16,511 at Notts vs Yeovil yesterday.