PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The Let's Have A Moan Thread
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Let's Have A Moan Thread  (Read 6544 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: November 14, 2022, 09:55:00 PM »

Anyone who really wants to complain about something, please post here. I'll kick us off.

Bloody rubbish, Alty. We're supposed to be full time, can't we spend some time coming up with a corner routine like the one for the York City goal? And what a disgrace getting rid of the iconic Golf Road trees! Quite apart from the environmental side, it removes valuable protection from wayward shots for people's front gardens and windows on Golf Road. Admittedly they have it worse at Marine, but that's no excuse...

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's Have A Moan Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 10:25:44 PM »

I noticed on Saturday that we have a full set of working floodlights. We usually have at least three bulbs out on the mainstand side. All that extra power consumption. We should be spending the money on the team.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 10:40:16 PM »

Scandalous. We really should be getting as close to a Bishop Auckland level of floodlighting (before they got the lights from Manchester United) as we are legally entitled to. We should also consider 2pm Winter kickoffs to further reduce floodlight use. And do we really need to use heating in the CSH?

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 08:52:05 AM »

Have you seen how green the pitch is? GREEN.The

Any decent club, any professional club, would grow grass that matches their home kit.

Not good enough, and the board just sit there twiddling their thumbs.

Sort it.

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 08:58:38 AM »

Any decent club, any professional club, would grow grass that matches their home kit.

Sort it.

Don’t be daft the players will not be able to see each other clearly against red and white stripped grass, honestly, some people on here……

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 10:53:57 AM »

Sort it.

Don’t be daft the players will not be able to see each other clearly against red and white stripped grass, honestly, some people on here……

Oh come on! Have the stripes running across the pitch, that solves 50% of the gripes.

No more excuses. GET IT DONE.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 06:32:48 PM »

We should dye the pitch to match the visitors' strip before every match. Then they'd not be able to see each other and our possession stats would boom. Mind you, we might not be able to see THEM either. Maybe some variation on 3-D glasses would be helpful.....

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 07:33:43 PM »

Speaking of the pitch, did we really have to fix that boggy corner? In the past, whenever there was heavy rain you knew you would get a Saturday off to spend time with the family or watch the afternoon film on 4 (don't even get me started on digital tv!). Now we are lucky if we get a Saturday off before Christmas - except on FA Cup first round day, obviously.

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2022, 09:23:17 PM »

I cant stand people who have tomato sauce with bacon barms, i also hate mild.... dreadful stuff and if you know anyone that eats celeriac roulade from waitrose you need to unfriend them.
FFS

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 09:39:44 PM »

"Unfriend"? Dreadful term. What's wrong with "fall out with" (although admittedly that would be the nuclear option - and ends with a preposition!). And that Pets In A pickle ad - I keep thinking they're going to add "and brown sauce". Ugh!

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2022, 10:18:24 AM »

"Unfriend"? Dreadful term. What's wrong with "fall out with" (although admittedly that would be the nuclear option - and ends with a preposition!).  Ugh!
Actually, unfriend is a very old term. I have just been reading a fascinating book called "The Word Hord" by Hana Videen, which is about Old English and what the words used then indicate about life at the time and how they have related to modern English.

"Wine" was then the word for "friend" and "unwine" was a standard noun for "enemy." I agree it's pretty bad when used as a verb, though.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 08:36:44 PM »

"Unfriend"? Dreadful term. What's wrong with "fall out with" (although admittedly that would be the nuclear option - and ends with a preposition!). And that Pets In A pickle ad - I keep thinking they're going to add "and brown sauce". Ugh!

Speaking of ads: perfume ads!!!

Pretentious, meaningless crap!

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 08:49:49 PM »

"Unfriend"? Dreadful term. What's wrong with "fall out with" (although admittedly that would be the nuclear option - and ends with a preposition!).  Ugh!
Actually, unfriend is a very old term. I have just been reading a fascinating book called "The Word Hord" by Hana Videen, which is about Old English and what the words used then indicate about life at the time and how they have related to modern English.

"Wine" was then the word for "friend" and "unwine" was a standard noun for "enemy." I agree it's pretty bad when used as a verb, though.

You may be interested to know that loyal Altrincham f.c. supporter Professor Richard Hogg (sadly no longer with us) who I used to see at home matches wrote a 6 volume history of the English language. See here.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cambridge-History-English-Language/dp/052126474X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1VSL4PBZ6CUL0&keywords=cambridge+history+of+the+english+language%23&qid=1670445930&sprefix=cambridge+history+of+the+english+language%2Caps%2C301&sr=8-1

Dare I say I'm not keen on "pork" used as a verb?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 08:53:40 PM by Hugh »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2022, 09:16:24 PM »

As we're on the pedantic thread here, could I point out that he was the General Editor and not the author? (still an achievement though!)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2022, 10:06:41 PM »

Speaking of ads: perfume ads!!!

Pretentious, meaningless crap!

"Because you're worth it"; "The sciency bit" - argh!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team