PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Barnet match thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Barnet match thread  (Read 10034 times)

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Barnet match thread
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2022, 03:36:37 PM »

In my view our fullbacks are a big problem, they just don't drive forward or overlap - Colclough and later on Kaja were both repeatedly telling Jones & Barrows to do so. We need that for our system to work, think Joel Senior, Connor Hampson, Andy White and Sean Densmore - all exponents of it. Bewildered by the criticism of Baines, thought he looked solid enough - whether he is an improvement on Cooper is debateable though. Marriot did well for his first game back and broke up their play a few times - he'll be a big asset once he's up to speed. We never looked like scoring but Jennings will get better as he gets to know his new teammates, Newby looked lively.

Overall, last night we looked disjointed and toothless. I have faith in PP & NS turning it around though.

Would be nice to see the whole pitch from the Popular Side terraces at the next game, not be obscured by some metal fence construction that looks like it was someone's first go at making something with Meccano  :o

I Asked Bill about the fencing this morning and he said he was looking at it being removed for York visiting

That's good. It does spoil the view.

andrewflynn

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2022, 04:17:37 PM »

I’m not saying it was just Baines, merely pointing out his positioning on the second goal on that still image I saw was woeful. The photo does also show Barrows clutching at thin air as their 4 is starting his jump to win a free header

That's really unfair though, you can't take a still image of a highly fluid passage of play and make any judgment from it. If you watch the highlights you'll see that Baines did his job in that set piece. He's facing the way he is because the ball has already gone over him and has been headed towards goal.

Now, if we can discuss Barrows...

I wouldn’t say a set play is ‘highly fluid’ and a defensive player should not be facing his own goal at any point while the ball is in the air from a defensive set play. Man to man you stay goal side of your man and zonal you stay in your zone with your back to your own goal to clear the ball.

Barrows totally switched off and was woeful on both goals last night. I did say at the start of the season I don’t like signing defenders from relegated teams. There are plenty of times he just doesn’t look arsed too

I don't want to labour a point on something so trivial but the picture shows the Barnet attacker heading at goal. Why would Baines continue to be facing away from goal at this point? Surely the right thing to do, as he is doing, is to turn and face the ball anticipating a rebound or clearance opportunity? Why would he turn his back on that, as you're suggesting?

I've watched the footage of it again and really see nothing wrong in his defending of that set piece at all.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2022, 04:37:27 PM »

I’m not saying it was just Baines, merely pointing out his positioning on the second goal on that still image I saw was woeful. The photo does also show Barrows clutching at thin air as their 4 is starting his jump to win a free header

That's really unfair though, you can't take a still image of a highly fluid passage of play and make any judgment from it. If you watch the highlights you'll see that Baines did his job in that set piece. He's facing the way he is because the ball has already gone over him and has been headed towards goal.

Now, if we can discuss Barrows...

I wouldn’t say a set play is ‘highly fluid’ and a defensive player should not be facing his own goal at any point while the ball is in the air from a defensive set play. Man to man you stay goal side of your man and zonal you stay in your zone with your back to your own goal to clear the ball.

Barrows totally switched off and was woeful on both goals last night. I did say at the start of the season I don’t like signing defenders from relegated teams. There are plenty of times he just doesn’t look arsed too

I don't want to labour a point on something so trivial but the picture shows the Barnet attacker heading at goal. Why would Baines continue to be facing away from goal at this point? Surely the right thing to do, as he is doing, is to turn and face the ball anticipating a rebound or clearance opportunity? Why would he turn his back on that, as you're suggesting?

I've watched the footage of it again and really see nothing wrong in his defending of that set piece at all.
I watched the footage, the person culpable for both goals is Barrows, really poor.

Overall, we did create more opportunities than they did, even with a lacklustre display. We need to learn to get something out of the game when in this situation. Our poor finishing cost us again, but we need to defend much better.. I've said it before, love to know what they practice in half a day training everyday.

finnquark1

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2022, 04:46:10 PM »

I assumed that when Parky had promised consequences for repeat offenders in a previous interview, that Barrows was one of those he had in mind. He has underwhelmed since signing from Lynn, and is now regularly a problem for us defensively. SC**thorpe at home, Gateshead away, Wealdstone at home and last night - those come to mind as occasions where the right hand side of our defence has been shaky.

More broadly last night, the most worrying thing I thought was the way Barnet outplayed us in the second half. Unlike Wealdstone, Yeovil, etc. they didn't sit back and let us come onto them in the second half. They were much more aggressive in hitting an effective target man, and won the 50/50s in our half, meaning we at no point got any head of steam up. It was depressingly easy.

The feast or famine nature of Parky/Sorvel is intriguing. If I was a bigger club interviewing them, that would be the topic of my first question - why do you have such prolonged periods of poor results (at this level)? His post-match interview was also an interesting one - obviously it's in the aftermath of another disappointing result, but there was a touch of rabbit-in-the-headlights about it.

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2022, 06:05:22 PM »

Weirdly with all the moaning about full backs not getting forward where was E Jones for their first goal. He must of been miles up the pitch or just jogging back to be that far behind the goal scorer

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2022, 07:37:32 PM »

He was clueless before his injury so tonight being his first game for a while is irrelevant really
An extremely poor signing

He started the first six games.

D4
L2

He played three of the six out of position covering at left back.

I’m not arsed enough to go back through the highlights to be honest but I’ll happily retract my defence of him if you can point out various individual errors in each of the six games that would point to him being inept, but I suspect you won’t be able to, apart from the back pass to Mee at Maidenhead which Mee should have dealt with to be honest.

Incredibly lazy and frankly weird comment.

You don’t have to look very hard. The second goal last night he is facing the wrong way to defend the corner and not looking at the ball. There’s a photo on Barnet’s Instagram (don’t know how to attach on here). Facing your own goal when defending a corner isn’t the sign of a good defender.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2022, 07:48:40 PM »

I’m not sure how you’ve picked out Baines for this one. The reason he’s turned round is that the ball has gone to the far post. It would be far worse if he was facing the other way?

There’s quite literally Baines (and I’m not his biggest fan btw) in that photo goal side of his man and successfully defending his part of the area and behind him is Barrows facing the wrong way, the wrong side of his man and scrambling back like a cartoon character towards the man scoring the goal.

It was appalling from Barrows but in fairness to him, it was the poor organisation and execution that compounded it. He was distracted trying to point out an unmarked man. Osbourne eventually went out to him, whether he was being slow or he wasn’t supposed to but the extra body in the box meant he had to come from somewhere else to sort it I don’t know.

At the exact moment he is turning back round, Collinge makes his run behind him, the corners taken and he ball watches and is out of the game.

I spent the previous ten minutes watching us take ridiculous, ineffective short corners with (J) Jones and Baines twiddling their thumbs on the penalty spot and then them score from delivering a corner straight in.

AltyRobin

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2022, 08:39:35 PM »

We will agree to disagree then; I don’t think Baines is a good enough defender

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2022, 08:52:33 PM »

Apart from the growing weakness on the right side of defence, the main thing we've learned over the last few games is how crucial tobys presence at the back is both directly and in terms of organisation and leadership.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2022, 08:53:57 PM »

Watched the highlights. I know Barrows does slip, but its after he's done for pace. He's not done very well for the either.

Can see Malarkey playing rb when he's back
Full time and proud of it

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2022, 09:02:25 PM »

Watched the highlights. I know Barrows does slip, but its after he's done for pace. He's not done very well for the either.

Can see Malarkey playing rb when he's back

It's worse than that. He was massively done for pace, somehow got back on terms, had the opportunity to put a challenge in but hesitated and then slipped over. Meanwhile De Haverland was jogging forward and indicated where he would like the ball and their winger delivered no problem. Good goal. Shame it was against us.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2022, 08:39:04 AM »

I think whoever's fault it is its irrelevant, we weren't going to score so we'd have lost 1-0
Bernard Taylors barmy army
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Barnet match thread