PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Barnet match thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Barnet match thread  (Read 10030 times)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Barnet match thread
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2022, 12:10:13 AM »

He was clueless before his injury so tonight being his first game for a while is irrelevant really
An extremely poor signing

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2022, 12:29:27 AM »

I didn't really notice Isaac Marriott today, although it was expecting a lot for a player, good though he is, to be plunged straight into the starting line-up, rather than to get a run off the bench and work up. I am with Alty not Faulty that he will  get up to speed with time.

I am assured that the players had all trained together, but it did feel as if the two loanees didn't know how their team mates played. That will come with time. I hope.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2022, 01:37:25 AM »

An extremely dispiriting evening. I knew that I should have ventured to the Manchester Apollo instead.

The sole positive note comprised the return of Marriott.

That's now our third consecutive game without a goal and, in truth, we have rarely troubled the opposing goalkeeper in those fixtures.

Barnet were better organised than us, both sharper in thought and quicker with their passing and simply worked harder than us.

When did our play become so monotonously pedestrian?

Why do we no longer seem to possess full-backs who can overlap and pose an attacking threat?

Barnet's corners and long throws caused us headaches all night and their second goal was an inevitable defensive calamity.

Mind you, their opening goal was painful enough. Barrows gets done for pace, then loses his footing and the resulting low cross is buried by one of three Barnet players who were converging on the ball.

If such an incident had transpired at the other end, then there would have been a high probability that we wouldn't have had anyone racing in to convert a Colclough cross.

At the moment, I fear that we look like a team whose style of play has been rumbled by opposition teams. Very concerning.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2022, 06:56:09 AM »

After sleeping on it, I think I'm ready to find some positives out of what was a dreadful performance.

Firstly, James Jones doesn't quite look like the disaster waiting to happen that he did at the start of the season - but then again, Barnet never felt the need to put either of our CBs under any pressure whatsoever.

The comment about Baines I agree is unfair - particularly since we had Kennedy Digie playing for us last year. In fact, it was against Barnet that Parky decided to throw away 2 points by bringing Digie on.

Perhaps the obvious weaknesses at full back will tempt Parky to dip into the market again - what I'd give to have Harry Perritt back here again; I know he wasn't that attack minded but at least he was solid. Barrows set the tone in the first five by going into a 50/50 with the least application I think I've ever seen. I'm a bit gutted as I thought he'd be a great signing.

I agree I thought Marriott showed good glimpses of his old self, and will get sharper in the areas he wasn't (like that dreadful through ball he tried to play).

Newby also showed glimpses but I hope we don't land ourselves with too similar a player to CCC that runs into traffic and tries to play the ball into the net.

Ryan was excellent but he can't play them on his own.

Sorry but Jennings looked like he'd won a competition to play last night - he looked like he had a couple of bags of cement strapped to his feet.

Other positives? - I got home 20 minutes early as I left once the second goal went in.

It really galls to see Connor Hampson staying fit and doing so well with Curzon Ashton. Out of the seven, he is the one I'd have back in a heartbeat.

We go on about old players a lot, myself particularly, but I wonder where JOEL Senior is - i.e. he must be getting near to fitness at Carlisle, maybe we could have him back for a month or two whilst he gets sharp again.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 07:15:45 AM by MarpleAlty »

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2022, 07:39:25 AM »

I felt quite positive at the way we started the match, as from what I saw standing at the Chequer's, we appeared to offer a bit of creativity and movement off the ball, that could have led to a goal.  Newby looked bright, Jennings less so.  Both will need to bed in, as will the players returning from injury, and its harsh levelling criticism at them for last night.  The performance in the SH declined however, and I think that as has already been stated, once the oppo seem work out our style of play, we're effectively out of the game.  Play in the second 90 became increasingly sloppy; we seemed intent on rushing to pass even when not under any pressure.  Worryingly, we declined further with the substitutions.  I'm not an apologist, but the chorus of boos that rang out at the end was helpful to no one.

I will regard success this season as nothing more than managing to stay out of a relegation battle in the final round of games.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2022, 07:51:17 AM »

Couldn't attend, so listened to Radio Robins.

Marriott and Baines will take a few games to get anywhere near match fit. The standard is far too good for them to be expected to just slip back in.

From the commentary it sounded like Marriott won the ball back a few times in the first half and Baines made some blocks. Before Baines injury he was making more blocks than any other defender, so the criticism of him isn't fair.

Full backs for me aren't good enough and with that, we can't play our style of overlapping FB's and getting more players into the box.

I would say our desire to win back or attack the ball is way way below what it should be. Our set pieces are a waste of time.

Not sure Jennings is going to be the answer and I would have started Hulme last night.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 07:55:27 AM by oneedham »

andrewflynn

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2022, 07:57:45 AM »

He was clueless before his injury so tonight being his first game for a while is irrelevant really
An extremely poor signing

He started the first six games.

D4
L2

He played three of the six out of position covering at left back.

I’m not arsed enough to go back through the highlights to be honest but I’ll happily retract my defence of him if you can point out various individual errors in each of the six games that would point to him being inept, but I suspect you won’t be able to, apart from the back pass to Mee at Maidenhead which Mee should have dealt with to be honest.

Incredibly lazy and frankly weird comment.

AltyNotFaulty

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2022, 08:28:59 AM »

He’s no attacking threat at LB but think him and Mullarky are our best two CB.

That back pass at Maidenhead was from Elliot, so the individual error account could be almost zero?

Randy Konk

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2022, 08:34:05 AM »

This sums it up for me.

Playing at home and we didn't lay a glove on them. We are so one dimensional at the moment and I hate to think what will happen when Ryan Colclough inevitably moves on to a better gig.

Not only have teams worked us out, it is too easy to work us out. Barnet hardly had to break sweat to beat us. I'm concerned about a lack of creativity (beyond Colclough) and that we might be in a relegation battle come the end of the season. I hope to be proved wrong. Phil Parkinson has got some work to do.

An extremely dispiriting evening. I knew that I should have ventured to the Manchester Apollo instead.

The sole positive note comprised the return of Marriott.

That's now our third consecutive game without a goal and, in truth, we have rarely troubled the opposing goalkeeper in those fixtures.

Barnet were better organised than us, both sharper in thought and quicker with their passing and simply worked harder than us.

When did our play become so monotonously pedestrian?

Why do we no longer seem to possess full-backs who can overlap and pose an attacking threat?

Barnet's corners and long throws caused us headaches all night and their second goal was an inevitable defensive calamity.

Mind you, their opening goal was painful enough. Barrows gets done for pace, then loses his footing and the resulting low cross is buried by one of three Barnet players who were converging on the ball.

If such an incident had transpired at the other end, then there would have been a high probability that we wouldn't have had anyone racing in to convert a Colclough cross.

At the moment, I fear that we look like a team whose style of play has been rumbled by opposition teams. Very concerning.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2022, 08:37:33 AM »

Another tough night although I thought all four lads who came in improved things. Let’s not forget Newby & Jennings have not been near Stockport’s first XI this season but both for me & especially Newby showed their abilities & Jennings won more headers in the first half then Hulme & Dinanga all season. I also thought Marriot looked decent on his return & looks to drive forward & be positive-no coincidence we looked worse once he came off. I know we lost again but also for me that was a better performance than Wealdstone against a side who were much better than them, Barnet looked like a solid Conference outfit to me & had too much nous for us ultimately.

Unfortunately though the faults are there for all to see, we are bad on set pieces at both ends, Byrne is perhaps not the keeper a lot of us thought he would be, our full backs aren’t getting involved enough in an attacking sense & lack pace & when we go behind teams just have to get in their shape & shuffle across-no real penetration.

We are in a real rut now & York is a big game for the club. We (and Parky if he wants to keep his job) can’t afford a repeat of last seasons incredibly bleak midwinter as the league is a better standard this year & we’ll get cut off. 0/1 from 9 in three consecutive winnable home games would be a disaster.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2022, 08:38:01 AM »

Whenever I've seen Baines, he's looked a brave, committed and excellent defender (he's clearly a centre back and not a full back). One of our better signings from the summer. Singling him out for a slagging is as weird and wrong-headed as, say, not picking Lundstram in your best current Alty XI.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2022, 08:47:00 AM »

Thought Marriot did well in the first half and expectedly faded in the second. No complaints about Baines from what I have seen of him this season - he is at least on level pegging with Jones and Cooper.

After that completely incompetent referee against Wealdstone, good to see a decent referee and assistants last night - kept control from the off. Warned players about not returning the ball and stopped any timewasting early. Other than that, hardly noticed him.

We seem to make a lot of poor decisions upfront; shooting when the pass is on or passing when a shot would be better. Corners a waste of time - I would sooner have a throw-in within the final third.

Hopefully a few decent training sessions will have us at the right level for Saturday teatime.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2022, 10:15:01 AM »

Cooper was probably slightly unlucky to be dropped last night but not massively I guess.

I’m not really sold on Baines and the way he seems to get under/ahead of the ball rather than winning headers (although I thought similar about Ferguson at first). But he seemed to defend reasonably well last night and made a block in the first half to prevent a second goal.

I was worried a while back, I’m extremely concerned at the minute .

AltyRobin

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2022, 10:21:53 AM »

I still don’t think Parky knows his strongest XI which is scary at this stage of the season. It seems as though we inevitably go 1 down and then Parky is happy trying to bore the oppo into submission by us passing the ball around the back 4. Try something different ffs

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2022, 10:42:47 AM »

I still don’t think Parky knows his strongest XI which is scary at this stage of the season. It seems as though we inevitably go 1 down and then Parky is happy trying to bore the oppo into submission by us passing the ball around the back 4. Try something different ffs

The passing of the ball back and to across the back four is a waste of time mainly down to the fact it’s done at a pedestrian pace and not one of the back four apart from Mullarkey ever carry the ball forward. I’ve never known a pair of full backs who don’t push forward when we attack.

It’s a cause for concern the way the team is performing of late, the one dimensional system needs sorting and players need to start to read the game better.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Barnet match thread